11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

11-10-73:   Presenter:  Kenny Everett

(8) DAVID CASSIDY – The Puppy Song  (and charts)
(29) ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA – Showdown
(12) ELTON JOHN – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road  (video)
(24) MICHAEL WARD – Let There Be Peace On Earth (Let It Begin With Me) – Not on this copy
(9) STATUS QUO – Caroline  ®
(20) THE DETROIT SPINNERS– Ghetto Child  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(NEW) ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK – Love Is All
(2) SLADE – My Friend Stan
(NEW) LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’ – Dreamboat
(1) SIMON PARK ORCHESTRA – Eye Level (Theme From The T.V. Series ‘Van Der Valk’)
(4) IKE & TINA TURNER – Nutbush City Limits  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ep6XpPoNiNDMhuLrYu5O48V5yWzhagcG (7th on the list)

To say Kenny Everett didn't present TOTP in the normal way would be an understatement, clearly given carte blanche to be as wacky as he wants Kenny doesn't hold back. This week his 'character' is an odd one indeed a deranged farmer could be an apt description and he's dressed in his best farmer gear (?) and talking about milking cows (he wants to bring them on the show next week) and inviting a girl to a rave in a pigsty, as you do. Kenny also deliberately gets some of the links wrong, carries around his script, makes jokes about Tony Blackburn and The BBC, has a snog with a wall and generally bemuses the audience, good man!. Kenny actually did live on a farm he talks about it on this cosy chat with Des in 1990, watch out for the those exploding cows people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6glGhOaePDY

After the show Kenny does his studio tour and has a chat with some kids here in a feature called Meet Kenny Everett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZt7PAI0Wfs

Anyway enough about Kenny on with the show....

David Cassidy – playing over the chart rundown is The Puppy Song, no I've never heard of it, and this brief clip doesn't exactly sound inspiring, best get on to the first act then.

ELO – one of their lesser known hits no doubt, a moody number from ELO here but a fine performance nonetheless, Jeffs head seems to be close to disappearing under his own hair, maybe time for a haircut Jeff?

Elton John – Elton takes us on tour with him and we see him strolling round LA in his platform shoes. Great melody on this, very good.

Michael Ward – not on this copy (edited out by the Beeb?) but here it is if you really want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRHoFfwDcng

Status Quo – a repeat from a few weeks earlier, which is a bit unfortunate seeing as the set was completely changed the previous week (for show 500) to some rather nice art deco and none of that is here. Anyway this is the Quo doing what they do best, one of their biggest hits and a lively performance too. I like the surly drummer, cheer up you're on TOTP!.

Detroit Spinners – “Life ain't so easy when you're a ghetto child” sing The Detroit Spinners, well Pans People choose not to dwell in the ghetto on this one and instead bring us a deceptively basic routine of two halves, the intersecting 'take your turn' main dance and the backlit arm stretched shadows effects during the chorus. This is one that improves for me each time I see it, particularly how they move in and out to reveal the dancer to do the solo, will it be Cherry? Oh its Dee Dee this time, you get the idea. Great stuff, lovely outfits too and the song ain't bad either.

Engelbert – brilliantly introduced by sarcastic Kenny “he's come all the way from his dressing room to sing at ya” its crooner time on TOTP. Showing the youngsters how its done Eng belts it out like theres no tomorrow and it is rousing in a certain way, but this is probably the wrong audience for him by now, they would probably have preferred Slade, speaking of which.

Slade – like 'The Quo' this looks like an earlier performance, Slade are keen to show off (ooh aren't they wacky) but they do give a good performance. I'm not massively keen on this song though, but its at no 2 so what do I know, must have had a loyal fan base.

Limmie – I only knew of 'You Can Do Magic' from the Pans dance and here's another from LATFC, its quite nice but not quite up the standard of its predecessor, the lead singer is very good though.

Simon Park Orchestra – And now the number one is...er, this. I do vaguely recall seeing Van Der Valk so it must have been repeated in the 80s at some point, and its a decent theme tune but number one really, actually scrap that its very catchy and now won't leave my head, i'll take 2 copies please!!.

Ike and Tina Turner – a brief bit of this to end the show well everyone knows this one, like a one-two punch with its funky guitar and Tinas raw vocals, classic track of course, but all I can vision is Louise and that solo performance from a few weeks back, oh yeah.

And so ends another trip back to 1973, not bad, not bad, favourite probably Status Quo or maybe Elton. This was the last TOTP Kenny did but i'm sure you knew that already.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Doc
I have vague recollections of watching this the first time around. I think I started to pay attention to the show around 72/73. Either that or it was about the time I was allowed to stay up and see it rather than having to go to bed. Good work by the BBC recreating the show and it’s a fairly decent selection of acts.
Still living in 1979

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Dancer
I don't recollect this edition at all but some lovely songs performed.  Will add comments under separate cover.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

I didnt know this was a 're-creation' as you put it Doc. Do you know any more on this?

I forgot to mention this excellent high camera shot of the studio during the link to Pans People, i think thats the 'sound machine' bottom right. The only other time i can recall something like this is Tina Charles performance on the gantry Xmas 1976.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

PattiforPM
Mikey wrote
 Tina Charles performance
Mikey you forgot the word "Infamous"

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

In the absence of the original TX master, the BBC4 broadcast was constructed from the original surviving studio edit.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

VintageVideos
The BBC only have an unedited tape of the show which includes things like the Pan's People outtake for Ghetto Child and a second version of Eye Level, 58 min long all in all. The original broadcast version does not exist any more. For 2012's Kenny Everett evening on BBC4 (hard to believe this really happened!) they cut a 30 min version from the tape and aired it. Michael Ward was edited out so that the show would fit in the 30 min slot. The Meet Kenny Everett special is also part of the tape and was shown a bit later that evening.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Doc
It was done before the BBC had it's budget slashed, something that finished BBC 3 as a transmitted channel. I can't see them being able to afford to do it now. Sadly BBC 4 has a lot less new material now for that reason.
Unusually for a TOTP, I think the rebuild was only shown once.
Still living in 1979

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

PattiforPM
I think they should raise the Licence fees and do more of these

I expect they'll just raise the licence fee.
Still living in 1979

LOL Doc you darn realist

..oh and Mikey I will get to this one soon, I know I have been slacking off, sorry

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Dancer
Really good show.  1973 had some good tunes even though I don't remember the original televised show.  David Cassidy was a double a-side and I preferred Daydreamer.  The Puppy Song was constantly played on Junior Choice on a Sunday morning.  Not my type of song at all.  ELO - absolutely fantastic. Every song they recorded was fantastic and this was just that.  Jeff Lynne really had a lovely voice and so talented.  Elton John perfect song.  Status Quo always good but this was not one of their best.  Pans People just beautiful including the song.  Engelbert okay.  Should have sung this at the Eurovision really.  Slade were magnificent.  Limme & Family Cookin were okay but this song never dented the Top 30 unlike their pre-decessor or the next single release.  Was never a fan of the No.1 song.  In 1976 for one of our PE lessons, our teacher split the whole class into five and we all had to come up with a dance routine to this and it was a really difficult tune to dance to.  Our group won though with my input.  Ike & Tina Turner, Nutbush just perfect.  Still got my single of this.  A really good show.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Thanks for the background info on this, very interesting

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

'Twas one of BBC4's most noble gestures to broadcast Kenny Everett's endearingly meandering post-show chat in modern times, VV.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Thanks P4PM, and i promise not to mention the sweater swiper again...

on this thread

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Dancer wrote
In 1976 for one of our PE lessons, our teacher split the whole class into five and we all had to come up with a dance routine to this and it was a really difficult tune to dance to.  Our group won though with my input.
Sounds like your school was more interesting than mine Dancer, i think for PE we just played basketball or mucked about with the gym kit.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

VintageVideos wrote
The BBC only have an unedited tape of the show which includes things like the Pan's People outtake for Ghetto Child and a second version of Eye Level, 58 min long all in all. The original broadcast version does not exist any more. For 2012's Kenny Everett evening on BBC4 (hard to believe this really happened!) they cut a 30 min version from the tape and aired it. Michael Ward was edited out so that the show would fit in the 30 min slot. The Meet Kenny Everett special is also part of the tape and was shown a bit later that evening.
I thought it all seemed a bit off grid, and not like a normal episode. Thanks for that fascinating info, Vin. You see, this is what we've been missing

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

I actually remember this show. Well, sort of. I do recall the somewhat irked Kenny Everett being called away from his pig sty to introduce Top of the Pops bit, so that definitely made it onto the show. But who was Michael Ward, the act edited out?

And so we're underway withe David Cassidy - The Puppy Song played over the charts. A strange record for a teen idol to put out as it has a 1920s jazz feel to it. According to my Guinness Book of Hit Singles it had only been released two days before, so perhaps no one had flipped the disc over to discover the more radio-friendly Daydreamer on the other side.

ELO - Showdown Tremendous record that I still love to this day. Jeff's face is almost entirely obscured by a combination of hair, beard and glasses. In fact, I'm not sure I'd recognise a well-shorn Jeff Lynne. An umbrella has made it onto stage for the rainy chorus...and the bass player looks like a supply teacher.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Everett intentionally messes up the record's title. Oi you, show some respect to a bona fide classic! The album of the same name is still stored on my car's stereo for long journeys. Fabulous piece of work from the erstwhile Reg Dwight and his mate Bernie. The video shows the Pinner boy enjoying Hollywood.

The hits just keepa comin'

Status Quo - Caroline A great riff from The Quo in their pomp, and the line-up everyone of a certain age remembers. Rossi, Parfitt, Lancaster, Coghlan. I'm wondering if the boy seen bopping in the audience is the elusive Michael Ward, as there is a resemblance to his chart picture?

And just when you think the show can't get any better...

Detroit Spinners (The Spinners to our American friends) - Ghetto Child memorably danced to by Pan's People. Needs little comment as we've all seen it many times before. Wonderful.

Everett (unsurprisingly) is proving to be the loosest of cannons, blacking out his teeth during the show and now deciding to give a long snog to a picture. I'd guess this bit didn't make the 1973 edit. The man watching him looks like one of The Grumbleweeds (remember them?).

Englebert Humperdinck - Love Is All  Sigh, I suppose it couldn't last. The run of excellent records is brought to a shuddering halt by this stinker. And it started off so well: "Yesterday...all my, What!!!

Back to Everett, who's been told, presumably by the feared and revered Robin Nash, to correct his introduction to the Elton John record. His career at the BBC was never going to be a long one, was it...

Slade - My Friend Stan Never cared for this one much. I expect Slade to be loud and stomping, and this doesn't tick the boxes imho. When watching though a thought did occur...I wonder who would win in a fight between Slade and Quo if it all kicked-off in the bar afterwards.

Everett now accosts a young audience member with the line: "you've got a fine set of udders." Good grief

Limmie and the Family Cookin' - Dreamboat The BBC need to get a new tipster because this duffer was never going to get anywhere near the top.

Simon Park Orchestra - Eye Level A familiar tune as it was the theme music to Van der Valk. The orchestra have dressed themselves in those horrible nylony jumper things so common in the early 70s. Just imagine the static in there!

Sadly just a snippet of Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits to play out on.

I think I can safely say a classic edition. Thanks for the upload, Mikey.

Re: 11-10-73 With Kenny Everett

Doc
Everything'sRosie wrote
Everett (unsurprisingly) is proving to be the loosest of cannons, blacking out his teeth during the show and now deciding to give a long snog to a picture. I'd guess this bit didn't make the 1973 edit..
I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m fairly sure I saw this one in 73  and I have a vague recollection of him doing that. I think the re-edit probably isn’t that far from what the original looked like.
Still living in 1979
12