11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

11-5-78:   Presenter:  Dave Lee Travis

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IglkEH61o9s1HwvqakIQWBDV7ozooLle (19th on the list)

(17) RAFFAELLA CARRA – Do It Do It Again  (and charts)
(45) THIN LIZZY – Rosalie
(3) JOHNNY MATHIS & DENIECE WILLIAMS – Too Much Too Little Too Late  ®
(35) IAN DURY & THE BLOCKHEADS – What A Waste
(28) TAVARES – More Than A Woman  (danced to by Legs & Co)
(NEW) MANFRED MANN’S EARTH BAND  – Davy’s On The Road Again
(27) IZHAR COHEN & THE ALPHA-BETA – A-Ba-Ni-Bi  (video)
(53) SHAM 69 – Angels With Dirty Faces
(21) YVONNE ELLIMAN – If I Can’t Have You  ®
(NEW) GOLDIE – Making Up Again
(19) BLONDIE – (I’m Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear  (video)
(60) GUYS ‘N’ DOLLS – Only Loving Does It
(7) PATTI SMITH GROUP– Because The Night  (danced to by Legs & Co)  ®
(36) TOM ROBINSON BAND – Up Against The Wall
(1) BONEY M – Rivers Of Babylon  ®
(26) X-RAY SPEX – The Day The World Turned Dayglo  (and credits)

Oh boy look at that list!, with 16 records on this weeks show there is more variety here than a family bag of Revels, best get stuck in then. Playing over the chart rundown is Italian singer Raffaella Carra with 'Do It Do It Again', making its slow progress up the chart and currently at 17. I guess after Baccara there was a demand for foreign accented slightly cabaret type efforts, other than than I'm not sure what the appeal was. Raffaella had already appeared in the studio a few weeks earlier. Beaming down from 1973 its Thin Lizzy with 'Rosalie', they do seem to have the same look and sound as always, if it aint broke don't fix it eh?, at least Phil does his shining the light reflection off the guitar at the camera thing but this is competent effort only and not really a step forward, probably unsurprising given this was already 3 years old. Crunching the gears slightly (a TOTP trait of course) we enter the slowdown slushy zone with Johnny Mathis & Deniece Williams 'Too Much Too Little Too Late', sounding like a live vocal performance, actually pretty good really, this week at number 3.

Next up something genuinely different and interesting, Ian Dury & The Blockheads 'What A Waste', I think this will easily end up being the funkiest thing on the show, ooh that bassline! and of course with Ians slightly menacing talk-singing style this is excellent stuff that kind of defies any genre pigeon holing. Into the Orange Room now and Legs & Co are tasked with dancing to 'More Than Woman' a nice slice of disco from Tavares, covering the Bee Gees of course, and probably just as good as the original. A single camera performance involving the girls running on and off screen at various intervals between dancing, the brown cossies are nice, my favourite being Gills with the see thru side bit. Overall great stuff there Legs, see you in a bit, well sort of.

Who's Davy?, no idea, but 'Davy's On The Road Again' according to Manfred Manns Earth Band, like Thin Lizzy this not exactly contemporary sounding but it is a great tune so no complaints for me. Not currently in the chart but will be back on the show in June. Its all going well so far but now the dreaded 'Eurovision' rears its head with Izhar Cohen & The Alpha-Beta with a song called 'A-Ba-Ni-Bi', apparently the winner that year, and its the Hebrew version on the show tonight (ooh how exciting), well if this was the best that year, that probably doesn't say much for the others, lets move on. Here's shouty performance number 1, Sham 69 with 'Angels With Dirty Faces', some meat n' potatoes thrash punk here, not especially creative but actually very entertaining particularly singer Jimmy Pursey with his animated stage presence. Another crunching gear change into some classy pop from Yvonne Elliman, with 'If I Can't Have You' repeated from an earlier show, very nice Yvonne. Goldie are on next with 'Making Up Again', not something you hear very often, which is suprising as hearing it now its really rather good particularly the echoey You..You..You bits and melodic chorus. Reminds me of Liverpool Express a bit.

Double Debbie alert!, yes on video its Blondie with '(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear', I missed out on the original Blondie hype at the time as I was too young, but its easy to see why this band were so hyped, as this is just great stuff, perfect pop?, in fact I liked it so much I went back and replayed it. My favourite on the show (sorry Legs). Beaming in from 1975 its Guys 'n' Dolls with 'Only Loving Does It' at number 60 this week (yeah 60!). Coming straight after the Blondie power pop this does look horribly dated although we do get a bit of guitar solo, although suffice to say this one didn't get a replay from me.

Something that I have seen many times is the dancing-in-the-dark performance from Legs to Patti Smith Groups 'Because The Night', repeated here, I know this one is a bit unloved generally but I've never had a problem with it and the tune is great too. Two helpings of Legs tonight, nice. Something less nice is shouty performance number 2 the Tom Robinson Band - 'Up Against The Wall', not really for me this one, as well as shouty it also sounded vaguely political and so i mentally switched off a bit, sorry Tom, I did try honest, well ok not very much.

'Rivers Of Babylon' by Boney M needs no introduction and is this weeks number 1 with the group dressed in classical costumes from an earlier show. They certainly had some odd themes for their records and this is no exception but hey a good record is a good record. Combined with 'Brown Girl in The Ring' a few months later, this became the biggest hit of the year. To play us out with the traditional kaliedoscopic ending is a gentle ballad courtesy X-Ray Spex called 'The Day The World Turned Dayglo', well ok it isn't a ballad by a long way, but instead its shouty performance number 3, in fact I couldn't understand a word of it, but in a weird way its kind of cool. They will be on next week for a full on shouty performance no doubt.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Everything'sRosie
Hey, what a great show. This really was the golden age of "The Pops" for me. This edition has everything. Cheesy pop, disco, punk/new wave...and a double dose of L&C. What more could we ask for! Will give this one my full attention.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Dancer
I remember this show aired.  Lovely to see DLT again.  First track really lovely and her performances on TOTP were outstanding.  Enjoyed Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams - the pairing of these two was just perfect and the latter had a lovely vocal range.  Ian Dury very good.  Legs & Co dancing to this classic was just perfect.  Always felt Tavares made this version their own.  The Bee Gees version from the soundtrack I was not keen on and the dance was a sheer joy to watch.  Manfred Mann's Earth Band tune was really good.  Tended to mirror Blinded by the Light in terms of lovely lyrics and this footage was shown on the year chart on BBC4 a week ago.  Really good song and deserved to be Top 3.  Izhar Cohen again very good.  Really good nostalgia to watch and from memory at school the lyrics were "I wanna be a Polar Bear".  Izhar Cohen appeared on this year's ESC.  Good performance by Sham 69 but I was not a fan of this type of music.  Yvonne Elliman's track was again excellent.  Another track off the Saturday Night Fever album and this would be her last hit which was a shame as she had such a lovely voice.  I remember Noel Edmonds playing this track when he had Saturday Night Fever as his featured album of the week and it certainly captured your mindset first thing in a morning getting ready for school.  Quite shocked that it was originally a b-side for the Bee Gees but Yvonne made this track her own and it sounded much better on an extended US 12" single.  Goldie was a MOR radio track that always felt like background music.  Really liked Blondie's video to this excellent track.  Never taken with the first one but this track captured my attention.  Loved the lyrics.  Guys N Dolls were dreadful making a song out of an OXO advert.  Legs & Co performance to Patti Smith Group was just perfect.  I was never keen on this song until I seen the dancers perform to this.  Yes it is dark and one had some difficulty deciphering but I just loved the way they danced to it.  The lyrics were beautiful.  Tom Robinson's track was okayish.  Was never keen on the Boney M No.1 even the longer version which appeared on the Nightflight to Venus album.  Never taken with biblical tunes but as years progressed the tune grew on you and adored the X-Ray Spex track.  I remember buying that song.  Some really good songs here but my main one goes to Legs & Co dancing to Patti Smith Group.  Erockita at its best.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
What was the Oxo advert thing about Dancer?

It was an advert for Oxo gravy that was televised on Commercial television.  When you listen to the Guys N Dolls track the commercial used the same track only using the words "only Oxo does what only Oxo can, takes the smile and takes away the pain, only does what only Oxo can, only Oxo does it again and again and again and again".  Now someone on here is going to remember that one.  I would imagine if you searched it would be on You tube.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
Thanks Dancer, yes i've found the ad on Youtube.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Everything'sRosie
This must have been close to getting the full BBC4 treatment. Alas, it missed out, so here's my review a mere 41 years later.

Raeffela Carra - Do It Do It Again: A slice of euro-pop to kick things off over the chart rundown. It hit the Top Ten so must have been popular at the time, but please dear, don't do it again on my account.

Thin Lizzy - Rosalie: I feel I should like this, but I don't. I never really got Thin Lizzy, nothing against them personally I just think their songs were mostly bland and uninteresting.

Johnny Mathis & Deniece Williams - Too Much Too Little etc etc: 50s crooner Mathis enjoyed a bit of a comeback in the mid-70s, at least in the Uk. An okay tune but not really my thing.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - What A Waste: Phew, here's one I really rate at last. The greatly missed ID was a wordsmith of the highest order, as this new-wave classic proves. As fresh today as it was back then.

   What could be better than that, oh, hold on...

Tavares - More Than A Woman: From the all-conquering SNF soundtrack, an amazing disco track and to accompany it a premier league routine from L&C. Not just a routine, but a taster of what the ladies will be wearing on the beaches that summer. Sublime.

Manfred Mann's Earthband - Davy's On The Road Again: Unsurprisingly a lot of Manfred's organ on this (ooh-err, missus). An okay track but nothing special.

Izhar Cohen & Alpha-Beta - A Ba Ni Bi: When this triumphed for Israel in the EUROvision Song Contest it must have had untold numbers reaching for the atlas. And they repeated the success the following year. Not a bad tune at all. At least it's memorable, unlike most of the recent winners. I've forgotten this year's already!

Sham 69 - Angels With Dirty Faces: This bunch of wannabe punks always seem to be trying a bit too hard for my liking. Tone it down lads, the kids aren't fooled.

Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You: Another from the SNF soundtrack. The lovely Yvonne being an accomplished stage performer sings this live accompanied by The TotPs Orchestra. Excellent.

Goldie - Making Up Again: Gravel-voiced vocals on a record that feels very early-mid 70s in style. The band look like a cabaret outfit trying their luck on New Faces.

Blondie - I'm Always Touched By Your Presence Dear: I think this is one of Blondie's finest tracks. It just made the Top Ten, but should have gone higher. Edgier than the Parallel Lines stuff.

Guys & Dolls - Only Loving Does It: Boo, Dollar look to have jumped ship, and one of the remaining Guys seems determined to show us his proficiency on guitar. Like the earlier Goldie track this feels very dated for 1978.

Patti Smith Group - Because The Night: This feels like it's from a different universe to the previous track. Fantastic record which I've always loved and bought at the time. I still have a couple of PSG albums in my collection. I know the L&C routine is not well-loved on here, but I think it's dead cool, so there!

Tom Robinson Band - Up Against The Wall: Although Tom Robinson is one of those obviously talented artists, I've never cared much for his output. Especially this rant set to music.

Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon:  By this time Boney M were due a No.1 and this song, based on Psalm 137, duly delivered it. A mega-seller but absent from my record collection.

X-Ray Spex - The Day The World Turned Day-Glo Last, but definitely not least, we get Poly Styrene to play us out with this punk classic. Like Ian Dury, Miss Styrene might no longer be with us, but her music lives on.

What a great episode. SIXTEEN tracks! The punk/new-wave stuff stood out for me (with the exception of Sham 69) but I think there was something here for everyone. If only the current repeats were as good. Thanks for putting this up for our delectation, Mikey.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

As ever, thanks for bringing this to us Mikey. Gotta take ones hat off to the folks at TOTPs at this time for cramming so much into the 40 minute slot, even finding time to interview and show us viewers what Michael Zager looked like. On reading the line-up pre-show i feared the worst, with nothing truly outstanding jumping out at me. But i stuck with it and on the whole enjoyed it. Id say for me the duffers were the Izhar Cohen and his mates and Goldie.

The rest i didn't mind, with Blondie, Dury, Sham, Yvonne, Legs dancing to Tavares (not Legs dancing to Patti Smith) my favourites.

I think if i marked the show out of 10, id be around 7.5. Not helped though by everything looking so beige. Those biscuit coloured hues certainly abound throughout.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

I wonder if the lead guitarist of the Tom Robinson band was a little peeved when he viewed the show the following evening only to discover he fell victim to camera trickery during his guitar middle eight section and couldn't be seen properly during his big moment.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Hanway2
Mikey, you haven’t sent me a motivational picture yet. You should know that I have a very very soft spot for Patti, and Lulu is my favourite blonde Legs.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

PattiforPM
Hanway2 wrote
You should know that I have a very very soft spot for Patti
 Sorry H2, I take back everything I said about us being opposites

 I knew we had similar tastes P4PM.
  When I get onto my Ruby and Legs reviews I am considering changing my Forum name to PattiforPM2.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Hanway2
Mikey wrote
  Yes, Mikey, that should do it! I will look at the show later today, and start composing my review, for posting as soon as it is finished.

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

   Top Of The Pops, 11th May 1978, on a Thursday evening, and an edition packed to the rafters with good delights and delicacies to watch. Although I was working as a 17 year old Post Office Messenger at the time there is a very good chance I watched this on the day. Certain things resonate in the mind, and it seems very likely that I did. Dave Lee Travis is our host today, a very genial and enthusiastic host even if, looked at from a 40+ year viewpoint, some of his clowning seems too much. But for this the guilt lies with another presenter, more than DLT himself. Beware your associates! We begin with some Italian disco courtesy of Raffaella Carra and ‘Do It Do It Again’ played over the chart rundown. And if that doesn’t get the juices flowing for the edition, you should check your pulse or your heartbeat, and make sure you cannot find your Death Certificate. And let us see what is in the charts this week. A mixture of the old, like Wings and Genesis, and the new, Squeeze and Boomtown Rats, with the forgotten for me, as in Richard Myhill, and the never-can-be-forgotten in Dee D. Jackson. Very sadly, she will not be joining us tonight, but has sent an able substitute, of which more in time. Very promising.
  Launching straight into the good-time rock of Thin Lizzy and ‘Rosalie’, with ever persuasive front man and bassist Phil Lynott, and the twin guitar attack of Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham. Pushed along all the way by dependable Brian Downey on drums. A very good performance, as would be expected from them showmen all, and a nifty little solo from Brian. And Phil even has time to do a Willy DeVille impersonation from ‘Spanish Stroll’, “Hey Rosita”! The crowd seem to be enjoying it too. They are much more noticeable again, from a few years earlier, even if the dancing is pallid in comparison to 1970. A very good start for sure. I would have been enjoying this at 17.
  What is on next? Oh yes, the smooth and mellifluous sound of Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams with ‘Too Much Too Little Too Late’. Old Johnny making hay with his second coming , having been out in the wilderness for many years chart-wise. And Deniece the year after her big hit ‘Free’. Two very fine vocalists, with Deniece and the trademark quiver in her voice. A very pleasing, and stylish and easy listened to song. And maybe I should have been waltzing round my living room. It would have been on my own, but the curtains are drawn.
 Now for something new. Ian Dury and The Blockheads. Part of the new broom sweeping the charts clean, as it seemed to me back in those far off days. Probably one of his first appearances on the show, and very good it is too. An impressive run through of the song, and all the things that Ian could have been, but was not. Merely a very gifted singer and writer, among others things. His confident manner quite plain to see, and so too for the band, giving a good performance. Lord Upminster or not, he will long be remembered. He might never have been the ‘Ticket Man at Fulham Broadway Station’- I got closer to that than him, to quote the famous lyric. But did the real ‘Ticket Man’ acknowledge his good fortune? Hmm, maybe!
  Legs and Co. dancing to ‘More Than A Woman’- with ‘more than any woman’ Patti taking a starring role. Wasn’t she perfect? Oh yes! I had no doubt accepted that Pan’s People were not coming back by this stage, so could enjoy Legs for what they were worth. Which is much. Boy, weren’t Legs lovely in their differing types of costume, looking like undergarments and heightening the blood in a legion of adoring fans. I was one by then, surely. As with all dance routines by Legs and Co. in these reviews, I shall be commenting in greater detail whenever the time comes in my chronological quest. I will hope to be still compos mentis by that time. And these Top Of The Pops reviews are a diversion. The pleasure is all mine.
   On we go again and now we have Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. Another old stager doing well into the late 1970s. Maybe not up to Manfred Mann’s- person and band’s- best work but still very good. It had only been 10 years since they had been singing about ‘Quinn the Eskimo’, and we had not seen nothing like him. But here we are with Davy. The singer- Chris Thompson?- looks like an aging Bee Gee, but all is well and another tight band performance. Nothing much more to add on this. The edition is proving to be a very good one, and I have liked everything so far.
  And that feeling is not dissipated by the next act, either. The Hebrew version of Eurovision winner ‘A-Ba-Ni-Bi’ indeed. And when that contest was taken seriously and worth winning. A rousing, swinging showing from all concerned, in front of the orchestra, this hit sound number 27 would go a little bit higher, up to 20. Helped or hindered by this? It does not matter. They all seem to be having fun, particularly the backing singers with their practiced moves. Especially the three ladies in the centre. Are the singers Alpha-Beta? Perhaps I shouldn’t ask. Anyway, thanks BBC for showing something a little bit different this week. I liked it, at least.
  Sham 69, another wave of the New Guard Ocean, washing over the late 70s music scene. And this would be their first appearance on Top Of The Pops also, judging by Jimmy Pursey’s opening remarks. Yes, you are- get on with it. And he does with a lot of energy from all the band, and some in-your-face directness from Jimmy himself. ‘Angels With Dirty Faces’- was this New Wave, Post-Punk, Oi, or some Surrey boys out for a laugh and a good time? Presumably taking the title from, and suggested by, an old ‘James Cagney’ film, and his films were always on the Television in the 70s, now seemingly non-existent on the main channels. But Jimmy and Sham give some roaring power in their performance, and many a youngster at home would have been impressed. I reckon.
  Although taking note of Sham 69’s swagger, I would surely have preferred the next act. Yvonne Elliman, sigh- swoon- yearn. Yes, I liked Yvonne then, and I like Yvonne now. What a talent and a star shining on us from the far west coasts of Hawaii. Her association with the Bee Gees, for songs like ‘If I Can’t Have You’ even made them more palatable. I suppose this was a repeat performance from an earlier show, but still worth seeing. Always stylish, always elegant, always beautiful Yvonne. Her hair ruffle at the lyric ‘go crazy is what I will do’, is an engaging little piece of action in this number. And Yvonne is very much a singing talent that should never be forgotten. Always a pleasure to see her, and she sings the songs beautifully. A repeat performance that is a very able substitute for Dee. D., at number 4 this week, not being on the show. ( I shouldn’t compare, but at the time I was a 17-year-old, getting hot from whatever took my fancy. And attractive female vocalists were well represented in that field ).
 Why has DLT rolled up his trouser leg? Don’t know, but he is introducing the new band Goldie all the way from Newcastle. No doubt a good, workmanlike and gigging outfit, but they are a come down from what has gone before in this edition, and particularly from the previous act. Did they ever have another hit, I cannot remember any? It is a fine enough showing, and the audience seem happy enough bopping away, but the music business was moving on, and bands like Goldie would have the horizons narrowed in the years ahead. I do not know what more to add, apart from the special effects on the croaky singer helped me watch, as I was still thinking about an earlier singer. Guess which one?
  And now it is time for Blondie. Proving they would not be just a one hit wonder, after ‘Denis’ and would have the ability and staying power to be become a major force around the World in the years to come. Of course, having a focal point like Debbie Harry would attract certain groups to take notice, but there was so much more to Blondie than an appealing figurehead. Here with ‘( I Am Always Touched By Your ) Presence Dear’ to give the full time, and presented by way of a film for us to see. The Double Debbie effect is very good, as is the closeness of the camera at times, but we do not see much of the rest of the band- apart from drummer Clem Burke. A good film for the song, nevertheless, and another step on the road to their greater success.
  I feel that I have not been very observant about this edition, as perhaps I should be, but I can count and there are one, two three, four Guys ‘n’ Dolls. There used to be six! Two familiar shapes are missing, but who? Yes, the Dollar faction have indeed absconded from the group and moved on. These repeats of TOTPs we are reviewing are throwing up some artists quite regularly, and Guys ‘n’ Dolls are definitely one of those. And the ever lovely Martine is still there to make me feel better, and if anyone is missing David Van Day, then you will have to make do with open-shirted Dominic Grant instead, all right? ‘Only Loving Does It’ was not a big hit for the group, making it to 42, I believe, and so it might be felt that the time had now passed for ensembles like Guys ‘n’ Dolls as chart acts, especially with bands like Sham 69 and Blondie blowing hard behind them. It is quite a tuneful and catchy song, and Martine and Julie look very attractive in their lace trimmed and white/creamy frocks. Which I remember was a big fashion trend at that time. G ‘n’ D were much a group of two halves in my opinion, and the other half always looked preposterous, whatever they wore- or did. I am sure Dom would tell me that he had a legion of female admirers, whereas I have only had a legion of females I admired. Oh Well! Was this the groups last time on the show? I think it was, no more chart-bothering from them. Perhaps the Revolutionary Wing of the party were right after all. Goodbye Martine!
  Yay! More Legs and Co. dancing to ‘Because The Night’ by the Patti Smith Group. This is, I understand, a repeat of an earlier routine. Patti not playing ball and coming to the Top Of The Pops studio? But our team of divine dancers are a more than able substitute, here in a nocturnal setting and magnificently clothed in bodysuits with long fringed attachments. And our Patti is as good to watch as your Patti, even in the dusky twilight of this number. As I will repeat, I will give a more complete assessment of the dance in a review yet to come, which may include a few personal thoughts on the special effects laid onto the routines. Which may or may not work, and may or may not be a ‘pain in the arse’. That is, if I have not found a routine where these effects have come into play in the interim. All will be revealed. At least I can say that Legs really were lovely, from any viewpoint. And from where I am sitting.
  Moving on now to Tom Robinson and his Band. Another of the brooms sweeping clear the fusty regions of the pop world. Perhaps! Old Tom had already been around for some time by then and had been on TOTPs a few times already by the 11th May 1978. Certainly I can remember ‘2-4-6-8 Motorway’ from before well enough. I think Tom was already well known for his Political and Social activities by this stage, and would still be allowed to perform with quite overtly political material, ‘Up Against The Wall’ being such a number. Yet another powerful performance for this show, and more special effects- what else could we want? The special effects at the start of the guitar solo is annoying, and the guitarist, Danny Kustow, himself is the ‘white boy kicking in the window’ with an impressive high kick. A rowdy and riotous rendition of the song. Giving lots of fiery power to this showing. Tom’s bellowed ending giving confirmation of this. So, just whose side are you on?
  At number 8 in titles was a musical score shown for the Michael Zager Band, not a question mark. The beauty of having these recordings show us that, whereas watching at the time we had no way of checking the truth, unless you videoed the programme yourself, of course. Did we ever find out what Michael was doing here in 1965? And DLT puts the mockers on the track as it did not go any higher than number 8, and Michael and his ‘wooa-wooas’ would not come back. I would have preferred to have seen a return of Zager and Evans myself- of only nine years before.
   Boney M at number 1. What can I say about it? Love them or loathe them, and there were many in either camp, they proved a very resolute chart act in the period of the late 70s. With ‘Rivers Of Babylon’ being one of their most well known songs- unsurprisingly enough. I was in the loathe camp at the time, but who could not be assuaged by their irresistible even iridescent charm? You can sing along to this at any party for an upbeat praising of the Lord- and not be considered too strange. This is a repeat performance I suspect, and a memorable one. The music does seem more heavy on the bass than I remember, better for dancing perhaps, but the steel drum fill is so reminiscent of ‘Temma Harbour’ by Mary Hopkin. Which you may not know was danced to by Pan’s People! And you really don’t want to take me back there again, or do you? All four of Boney M look good, in the almost classical outfits for the ladies and that for Bobby Farrell is just, well, very Farrell-like. Liz Mitchell is a top lead vocalist and her voice really puts a seal of quality on the number, as well as the performance. A belated admission that I like this now much more than I did then.
  Now we come to the end. Say goodbye to Dave Lee Travis and his team of lovelies, and we have a minute of the X-Ray Spex and ‘The Day The World Turned Dayglo’. I had already seen the band in concert at the Marquee Club, Wardour Street, London. A colleague at the Post Office Messenger depot where I worked was a big fan and encouraged a number of us to go to see them, towards the end of 1977, I think. But no Poly Styrene is seen here sadly, just the credits. All of Legs and Co. are accounted for correctly and so is Flick, and that is what matters now. All shown to the individuality that is the vocal prowess of our Poly. Smashing stuff! And as a little bonus we have a brief clip of early 70s favourites Lindisfarne at the end. Not ‘turning a deaf ear’ but all swinging together. And some years after being just about the most popular band in the land. They were and I remember it well. But that is for another day.
  This has been a very good show, and one I have liked a lot. Many vibrant and forceful performances and good quality numbers, with very little on the poor side. All hosted by the personable Dave Lee Travis, whose name has been sullied in a way it did not deserve. Whatever he did, he was no JS. If you treat them all as monsters, what happens when you meet a real one? Then what for me is the highlight? It is difficult to decide, from a number of good things. Putting aside Legs and Co. and my admiration for Yvonne Elliman, as that is a repeat I will choose elsewhere. It is hard to decide, and sometimes I pick Ian Dury and friends, others I pick Blondie, or even the Tom Robinson Band. But I will fall for the charms of Debbie Harry and plump for Blondie this time. May their heads be held a little higher than the rest- until I change my mind. Which I might do in five minutes. Hey-ho such is life!

Re: 11-5-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
Thanks for your comments Hanway, glad you liked this edition, i think you will like the next one too.