14. Betcha By Golly Wow from 13th July 1972

14. Betcha By Golly Wow from 13th July 1972

'Betcha By Golly Wow' from 13th July 1972

Available Evidence
Around July 1972 as Alice Cooper - School's Out was performed to a similar background 13/07/72.
Not from 06/07/72 as Pan's People obliged with the great cleavage and naval show of 1972. They looked like something out of Arabian Nights. (Edinburgh Evening News)
Evidence suggests the set for 06/07/72 was different.
One of the audience wearing the same clothes can also be seen in the Alice Cooper performance from the 13/07.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Doc
Evidence trail:

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

JEZ
I think looking at the outfits and props the summer routine to popcorn may fit but it purely guess work

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Doc
Exactly what we were thinking but as you say pure guess work with out further evidence.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

JEZ
I'm sure I sent this PIC to dee dee to see if she knew but she said that she didn't remember at all

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

VintageVideos
If there was a summer routine to Popcorn, it must have been on the 27/07/72. Would suit nicely.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Doc
Improved scan added.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Mikey
This performance by The Sweet is likely to be from 6-7, you can also see the stage from Bowies Starman at one point, no sign of the astronaut set, so id say the Pans routine is no earlier than 13-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbEuRzlhIs

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Doc
The Sweet is supposed to be from 08/06/72, I'm sure Vin can confirm when it was shown in Germany.
The studio that Bowie is in does seem to be devoid of Space themes

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

VintageVideos
It was shown on 22/07/72, and yes it is widely believed to be from 08/06. BUT - you can see Tony Blackburn at the end of the clip and he is wearing exactly the same clothes as can be seen in the intro of the Starman clip, so I'd say Little Willy is most probably also from 06/07 and not from 08/06.

The advantage of having access to uncut versions. So it has to be 13/07 or later. Unfortunately the extermination of the episodes makes it virtually impossible to find out when the set changed again. I doubt if it lasted more than 4 weeks though.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
The advantage of having access to uncut versions.
See for yourself:

https://youtu.be/NM6I-pmV0RA?t=181

and

https://youtu.be/HOpTb36Isv0?t=66

I have to agree, that certainly looks like it was the same show.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Mikey
Thanks for the extra info Vin, all we need to do now is find something from 20-7 and 27-7

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Mikey
Try as i might i cannot find anything further with the spaceman background. This pic of Terry Dactyl is either 13-7 or 21-7, probably a side stage so not conclusive. Anyway i've decided to call it a day on all this ID stuff now as it seems like the well is dry, if anyone else wants to have a go..good luck

Unfortunately the best evidence is probably locked up in the BBC photo archive, it's a shame that they won't let you see previews of the pictures.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Mikey
Its probably exclusively for media businesses only too

Yes, you can't just sign up to it as they vet the application.

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Mikey
Looks like the same guy in the hat for Schools Out

Re: 14. Unknown Routine from July 1972

Doc
That's an exceptional spot! So it's almost certain to be 'Betcha By Golly Wow'.