15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
15-10-70:   Presenter:  Tony Blackburn

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (and charts)
(NEW) CHRISTIE – San Bernadino
(2) DEEP PURPLE – Black Night  ®
(13) HORACE FAITH – Black Pearl  (crowd dancing)
(NEW) RICHARD BARNES – Go North
(25) THE RATTLES – The Witch
(11) MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT – Woodstock  (video)
(NEW) BASKIN & COPPERFIELD – I Never See The Sun
(8) THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(19) THE HOLLIES – Gasoline Alley Bred  ®
(38) JIMMY RUFFIN – It’s Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)
(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_vTFvA1d_DsHFUIPASyiT1kcu1ucn7Ci

Yes i'm posting another one, no I haven't gone mad, its just there are a few episodes to feature from October and I've been waiting for this one for some time, it being the only surviving colour edition from 1970 and one of the early episodes I've watched the most. This will be the last featured for the time being. So as far TOTP goes as we all know 1970 is a barren year indeed, the last surviving episode was back in February and even thats a poor quality copy. I think the reasons why I like this one so much is firstly the slightly wacky production, the psychedelic art that is used extensively taking advantage of the switch to colour at the end of 1969 no doubt. The second reason is how involved the audience seem to be at this point, with special mention to those lovely cage girls, it definitely wants to showcase people enjoying themselves with the music presented. It also helps that 1970 had a lot of good records. So far so good then?, well unfortunately this episode is not perfect and poor Tony's been muted on this surviving copy. But so be it, lets enjoy what we have.

Freda Payne (Charts) – Not much to note except the chart rundown captions are starting to look a bit worse for wear. This is the number one record of course and will feature again at the end of the show.

Christie – The 'Yellow River' guys come back with a similar sounding melodic number about a town in California. Although fashion wise they may be looking a bit ridiculous to modern eyes, I still think they look pretty cool, but hard to think this is the same decade as glam, punk and new wave not that far in the future. This musical style was definitely in vogue at the time and I do like it, its practically easy listing compared to the next act.

Deep Purple – Heavy rock or heavy metal?, honestly I don't know, this doom leaden effort is surprisingly catchy with its memorable riff although I'm not sure what the cool kids in the audience would have made of it, bubblegum pop this ain't. First appearing in September the same month as Black Sabbeths Paranoid this is definitely another more adventurous and darker musical avenue for the future opening up, let the headbanging commence, and don't forget to turn it up to 11!

Horace Faith – and now for a bit of reggae (are they attempting to go through all the genres tonight  then?), and this is proper reggae and therefore something decent to dance to, so lets have the audience dance section and very entertaining it is too. Not a bad song all in all. It looks like there is some dance contest going on as well, at the end of which the winning boy and girl are given a prize, ooh how exciting.

Richard Barnes – I don't know anything about this guy but his previous record Take to the Mountains and this one Go North are both excellent rousing stuff which I like a lot and sadly unlikely to be played these days. I wonder happened to him.

The Rattles – First appearing on TOTPs some two months ago!, is their psychedelic jam about a witch which also seems to owe a debt to Hitchcock's psycho is the string section. With her mad eyes and long black hair the singer would probably make a good witch herself, just needs a pointy hat, well it was close to Halloween I suppose. Its quite silly but also well done and actually has a nice groove to it.

Matthews Southern Comfort – from the ridiculous to the sublime, I love this record by MSC in all its dreamy folky glory. The lyrics may be a bit hippy dippy but its well meaning hippy dippy. Perhaps if I was born 20 years earlier I could have been a rainbow child? nah maybe not. The accompanying video (probably one made for TOTP) is rather nice too, following a young lady on her way to Woodstock from the crowds of the city to the peaceful backdrop of the countryside and meeting like-minded festival goers. Obviously they cant recreate this scenario fully, but I think they managed to capture the spirit.

Baskin & Copperfield – who are these herberts then? apparently they later went on to be part of the Rubettes but for now they were just the unglamorous sounding Baskin & Copperfield. I'm kind of on the fence with this one, sometimes I like it, and sometimes it sounds a bit meh, oh and I refer to my earlier comment about these 1970 fashions. Still they look like they are enjoying themselves anyway.

The Carpenters – was this their first hit? certainty The Carpenters have a distinct style of their own and Karens voice is lovely. Essentially a song about wanting to capture the popular guy, probably a well worn path but it does work well in this case. I was never that enthusiastic about the Pans dance initially, but over time I've realised how intricate Flicks choreography can be, although she was absent from the group on screen at this point in time, the group make up for this with another masterful display.

The Hollies – Not sure about this one, this is only a year on from the epic, He ain't heavy he's my brother, and although this has its moments, its certainly not up with that.

Jimmy Ruffin – Yeah this is pretty good, a nice bit of soul music late in the day. Nothing special but a nice inclusion nonetheless.

Freda Payne (again) – after Jimmy there is another prize giving for some girl (not sure what this was for as its muted of course) and then on with the number one. This is a bit of an achilles heel in the show not the song which is great, but the fact they are playing the end credits, some audience dancing and some graphical effects similar to the intro over top, its a bit of a mess and a shame they couldn't feature the number one in its entirety. I wonder who the silhouetted dancer was.

So whilst not perfect this is certainly a decent showcase of how the show was in 1970. Of course TOTP was a constantly evolving show and within a matter of months this was all gone as 1971 came bringing a wind of change and a step further from the 60s. Favourite of the show goes to Woodstock.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Gosh, where did those 4 years go?. Glad we now have a better resource than the dodgy 4Shared.

I forgot to mention Johnny Johnson was the guest judge/prize giver, although Blame It On The Pony Express didn't chart for a while after, in fact it appears on the 7-1-71 and 28-1-71 shows.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Would anyone like to comment on this show?

It's quite good really (honest).

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
I'll have a good look at it over the weekend, so don't take it down, Mikey

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Hanway2
  Yes, I will comment in the very near future, Mikey.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey wrote

I've had a lot on recently. I'll get round to Mikey

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Great, thanks guys!

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
The 60s might have been done with but the shadow cast still envelops this edition. The survival of a colour 1970 show is cause for celebration when others are lost, probably for good. Sadly Tony Blackburn has been muted. No bad thing some might say

Christie - San Bernadino The follow up to Yellow River, and sounding very similar. The kaftan wearing singer looks a bit strange.

Deep Purple - Black Night Classic riff which every aspiring rock guitarist must learn. A clip seen many times since, so it's nice to see the show it came from. So iconic that I expect it to be played loud and proud long after I have shuffled off my mortal coil.

Horace Faith - Black Pearl I've heard the song before but its singer is a new name to me. No routine. No BBC vid. And so we get some audience dancing. There are many different "looks" among the kids ranging from the positively groovy to the terminally square. Not a bad little reggae number.

Tony has a guest to hand out records to the best dancers. I think this was a regular feature as I seem to remember seeing Arsenal ace Peter Marinello doing something similar on another show.

Richard Barnes - Go North Another of those "prodigal son" type records, where the protagonist finds himself yearning for the wholesomeness of the ol' farmstead after being distracted by, er, California grass...maybe. Get back, Jojo. Pleasant enough though not very memorable.

The Rattles - The Witch An oddity, no doubt. But one to watch before quietly slipping it back into the archive for future generations.

Tony is seen with some pretty girls. I especially like the style of the young lady wearing her hair up.

Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock  Ah, we get a BBC vid after all! This time a young lady arrives at Paddington off the Oxford train. Hey, I wonder if she lived in Woodstock. It might be why she notices that poster for, you know, that other Woodstock. It's enough for her to go all hippy on us. As for the record. Brilliant. Always loved it.

Baskin & Copperfield are up next, or, as they later became known, Hey, I Think They Were In The Rubettes, Weren't They? - I Never See The Sun Awful mess of a record. Uneven vocals sung live. Boring and repetitive. Didn't chart.

Tony has found a green goddess in the crowd.

Carpenters - Close To You danced to by Pan's...or is it The Bennet Sisters. The girls look as if they have just wandered in off the set of the latest Jane Austen adaptation. Very feminine.

The Hollies - Gasoline Alley Bred For me one of those records which take a few listens to before you "get" it. And then it becomes a ear worm. Great to see The Hollies still doing the business, though Graham Nash has left for global stardom reasons.

Jimmy Ruffin - It's Wonderful To Be Loved By You The vocals are decent and it has the Tamla Motown production sound, but this is pretty forgettable.

More records presented by Tony's guest. One girl has copped three! Pity they're all copies of the Baskin & Copperfield single. Hey, darling, we've got a van load of these, do any of your friends want some. Please...me mum has re-mortgaged the house...and The Rubettes are still four years away etc etc

Freda Payne - Band Of Gold gets short shrift played over the closing credits, but seeing as it was No.1 for six weeks it's not as if people had never heard it before. And it did get played over the chart rundown too. Top tune, nevertheless.

Well, I enjoyed that. Thanks for the upload, Mikey.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

1970 time.  These "older" episodes are quite fascinating I think.  Having the DJ links muted detracts only a tiny bit for me although I find it a bit odd that sometimes you can still hear them in the background  but maybe because they are being picked up by a different mike (is that how it works?).  Anyway on to the meat:

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (and charts)   - Great song but I still find it funny to reveal all the secrets and play the #1 right at the beginning of the Party even after all these years. 7/10 (as no sign of Freda)

(NEW) CHRISTIE – San Bernadino  -  Good vocal performance and nice twangy guitar but ultimately mediocre song.  However this is where we see the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  for the first time so  8/10

(2) DEEP PURPLE – Black Night  ® -  Excellent stuff from the lads.  Gillan is not as attractive as the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  but is powerful nevertheless and this is a good heavy tune with excellent instrumental breaks  9.5/10

(13) HORACE FAITH – Black Pearl  (crowd dancing)  -  A reasonably good song but the interest here is the audience, who are just fascinating to me.   The PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  stars once again, we happily see the SULTRY GREEN DRESS LADY for the first time, the NON-SMILING BLONDE  returns unnecessarily and then we see the champions, the LITHE BROTHER AND SISTER DANCING PRODIGIES who receive a prize from TB and the long red collar guy JOHNNY JOHNSON (thanks Vin).  The music is only fair but the visuals from the audience are the best yet in my opinion so darn it 10/10

(NEW) RICHARD BARNES – Go North  -  No don't come here!  He clearly doesn't like Southern Comfort though and if he means the drink then I agree 100%.   Anyway I find the song drones an and so he's lucky to get Northern Charity 3/10

(25) THE RATTLES – The Witch  -  Whoah, what the **** is this?  This lead singer is truly weird but not completely horrid.  I got a little distracted by the Crowd again but they seem to be from another episode and the most noticeable items were a nice trio of miniskirts.  Sorry it strikes me that I am being completely sexist in my Audience watching here (except BROTHER DANCING PRODIGY) so I apologize but am unable to change as I have been designated in the new sexual group called CLUMSY and we CLUMSIES just make all sorts of mistakes right from birth.  Anyway I digress, the Rattles in the end only partially catch my interest so I am giving 6/10

(11) MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT – Woodstock  (video)  -  Brilliant song, another oddly chosen Video combining British Rail with what appear to be a well dressed and non-aggressive group of Zombies in the woods.  The leading lady is nice though - oops there I go again (Vin said it might be Louise's sister though)   8/10

(NEW) BASKIN & COPPERFIELD – I Never See The Sun  -  These two were just horrid.  I thought the other guy should have been the lead singer (the one in the green Fellowship of the Ring suit) but even if he had been I would still have given this song the same low score.  Also I started to get irritated at this stage because I hadn't seen the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  for quite a while (although the SULTRY GREEN DRESS LADY  appears in the next link so that helped a bit).  2/10

(8) THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You  (danced to by Pan’s People)  - not my fave as many of you know.  Silky Karen voice is nice of course but this dance is not great and they look like spooky Aunties to me and for some reason their noses look too big (no idea why this is!).  Still watchable but not great 7/10

(19) THE HOLLIES – Gasoline Alley Bred  ®   -  Easy to appreciate the vocals and harmonies but the song is not their best.  Really missing the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE now. 7/10

(38) JIMMY RUFFIN – It’s Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)  -   Actually it's not wonderful, in fact it's quite ordinary, although the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  finally gets the award she so richly deserves from JJ long red collar guy after the song 5/10

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)   Too brief but still a good song 6/10

Well Mikey I loved this episode but mainly for the crowd and you know who, signed Clumsy P4PM.  The Horace Faith dancing was the highlight and yes it easily beat Pans this time for me (sorry).  Deep Purple, Freda Payne and Matthews SC were good too.  Baskin and Copperfield should manufacture ice cream.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Looks like Baskin & Copperfield are in for a hard time, but yes lovely ice cream fellas.

I wonder who the ultimate brunette could be

Is it Ruth?

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

    Oh joy! A Top Of The Pops from 1970 to review. I should like this, from my preferred era, and I would like time to examine this edition in minute detail. But time I do not have, time is pressing so another fleeting review would seem to be in order. But I expect it will linger long in the memory. Without wasting any more time, I will launch myself into the programme. Hopeful of good things, and expecting no less.
 Ignoring the captions and the stentorian voice counting down, once again the show begins with the 1970 pre ‘Whole Lotta Love’ theme and the silhouette of Pan’s People Andi moving extraordinarily well, until the number 1 comes up on the screen and revolves. Yes, it is number 1 and it is Top Of The Pops! And no fuss or frustration in 1970, we know the number I straight away. We do because it has been ‘Band of Gold’ by Freda Payne since the World was young. And that is what is played over the chart rundown. A great song and vocal performance it is, but were people beginning to tire of it on the 15th October 1970? The top 30, with red and blue arrows denoting up or down, flash across the screen, led by Mr Old Blue Eyes himself- Frank Sinatra to his mum and dad- at 30. What else is resident in the chart that week? Aretha Franklin at 29, Whistling Roger Whittaker at 28, and a couple of good old boys in Elvis at 17, and Des at 15. And I must give a special mention to Melanie, appearing here at 21 with her version of Ruby Tuesday, who kept me out of a lot of trouble in the early 80s, though she never knew.  One day I may divulge all. And now we welcome out top DJ Tony Blackburn.
  Well, we can welcome him, but he cannot welcome us as his vocal cords have been cut, or the video is muted. Whichever and whatever. Bad luck Tony, I am sure you had some great wisdoms to impart to us today. Perhaps he was telling everyone how lovely it was to be there, and how lovely his female companions are. And I agree wholeheartedly with you Tony boy, all the way through the programme. Very colourful in their resplendent dresses of various lengths. Anyhow, here is a brief precis of the show.
  CHRISTIE- SAN BERNADINO;- With the follow up to their smash hit ‘Yellow River’, the band return singing about a place in California, possibly. That is spelt San Bernardino, with an R. I wonder if any of them have been. But another dollop of the melodic and catchy singles based music to be found in the charts around the time. Like ‘Bubble Gum Pop music’, if not matching all the criteria of that genre. In this number we have the first sighting of the ‘cage’, a set of parallel vertical bars near a wall in the studio which the audience could dance behind. Not quite reaching the ceiling, and a very effective way of framing these dancing people. We know it was only used during 1970, so can be used a style marker for that particular year. I very much like the visual aspect the cage provides, but no doubt other more revisionist people will read something bad into it. Ignore them, they are stupid! Is my opinion! Anyway back to Jeff Christie and his Kaftan, I wonder if any of the girls thought that they could have worn it. A very good up beat number to begin with, if not quite as classy as their preceding hit, and besides the dancers in the cage, it is quite evident the prominence given to the audience of 1970. And I know how to repeat myself. But  a great time would be had by all, including us watching at home. And that might have included me, but I cannot remember.
  DEEP PURPLE- BLACK NIGHT;- A repeat of an earlier appearance, I see, but one that might now be missing if it had not been reshown this time, I suspect, from one of the heavy and progressive rock bands that came into the public spotlight in 1969 and 1970. School boy favourites of the time, they most certainly were in my school, though that was a few years later. In fact Deep Purple had some success in the U.S before concentrating on the U.K market with a heavier sound, but they were known masters of their craft. Like many, more an albums than singles band, but someone must have thought this had the ingredients to be a chart hit. And they were right. The classic line up of Gillan, Blackmore- showing his idiosyncrasies of dress- Lord, Glover and Paice. A great watch and maintaining the high standard of the show so far. Needless to say, the dancers are all getting off on the sound, a particular one for me being the young lady with the fringed jacket and huge belt buckle. But I could watch the audience at this period all day long. Yes, I am enjoying this so far.
 HORACE FAITH- BLACK PEARL;- Here I get my chance to watch the audience as they dance to this song by Jamaican Horace Faith. Points I notice is the girl in the green dress who I know will be seen with Tony later, and a couple who seem to be very interested in each other dancing behind the cage. Did they know each other already? I bet they did after the show! Also another couple with a man in a suit dancing awkwardly and self-consciously and there is Tony with a beam of sunshine on his face. The style of dancing is very 1970 too, if you know what I mean. Hard to describe for a layman like me, but very fluid and perpetual movement and plenty of stomach thrusts by the girls. The song itself is very charming to listen to over the top of the dancers. I am liking this edition a lot.
  RICHARD BARNES- GO NORTH;- Before which we have an award to a very young couple seen during the Black Pearl dance. I am not sure why, perhaps they are the youngest members of the audience that day. The music playing in the background is Blame It On The Pony Express by Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon, another big hit at the time. So is that Johnny Johnson presenting the award? I think it is, unless others know better. On to Richard Barnes and the generally overlooked song Go North, which only made it up to 38, which is probably why. A slower number which steadies the flow of the edition. A good performance, but not one I feel needs to detain me long. What else has Richard been up to, I wonder. I do not know the answer.
  THE RATTLES- THE WITCH;- Straight into the next act, damn these Germans are good at witchcraft and Sorcery. Coming straight out of the left field, an unexpected and welcome hit from long standing band, with lead vocals and physical attraction coming from Edna Bejarano as here, dressed in long floor length black gown. Has she met Ritchie Blackmore? I think she was about 19 at the time of this performance. The shrillness of her vocals suit this song admirably, a fine piece of energetic rock from the day. At one point the quick movement of the drumsticks looks like flickering flames as Edna is seen behind. Has she been set on the bonfire as befits a continental witch? This maintains once again the high quality of the show. With a suitably dynamic performance from the lead. Good, good, good.
 MATTHEWS’ SOUTHERN COMFORT- WOODSTOCK;- And I know I like this very much, from the ex- Fairport Convention vocalist with his new band, covering Joni Mitchell’s ode to the Woodstock Gathering of the previous year. I suspect I know more than most about Ian ( sometimes Iain ) Matthews, formerly MacDonald, than the majority on here. I have even seen him live!! He left the former band feeling unable to fit in with their intentions to follow a more folk influenced path, first to a solo career and then set up his own band taking the name of his album. Fairport with Ian covered a lot of Joni Mitchell’s early work, so it should be no surprise that Ian solo would do so too. But here we do not see Ian or the Southern Comfort but a film. Probably made especially for the song by the BBC, and a very good one it is too. Arriving at a train station, Paddington I think, looking rather chic and elegantly attired, our heroine wanders the wrong way along a platform and up  flights of stairs, and among the working people of the day, whom she clearly wants to avoid. She walks along a street by some railings and parking meters, and comes across a poster advertising the film of the Woodstock event. The picture of the crowd that day clearly inspires her as we next see her changed into an attractive long blue dress, with her long hair flowing down and barefoot, and off to meet up with some like-minded friends in the woods. All done at a calm and sedate pace, appropriate for the calmness and sedateness of the song. Certainly to me, our heroine has similar aspects to Louise Clarke in appearance, so I can imagine fondly that it is her. I think this is one of the BBC’s best films for the programme, that I can remember seeing. And I should not need to add that I like the song very much, with Ian’s soft vocals and plenty of pedal steel guitar in the sound, courtesy of Gordon Huntley. A very big round of applause to all involved, except for Father Time who will not let me go back to 1970, now that I want to. And at least Ian can boast to his former bandmates;  “Look I got to number 1, which is more than you ever did, ever”!!
 BASKIN & COPPERFIELD- I NEVER SEE THE SUN;- This was not a hit but should have been. A very pleasing dual vocal of a soft rock number, and with B and C in their purple and green outfits. Did they ever work out which one was Baskin and which was Copperfield, and if they had first names? As these are really from left to right John Richardson and Alan Williams, later to become more widely known as members of The Rubettes, - and I remember the commotion The Rubettes made when the first burst on to Top Of The Pops in April 1974. The song itself goes onto for a chorus or two too long, but I enjoyed seeing it and could envisage a minor 20- something hit for them if the tide had turned differently. However, the buying public was unmoved by this unexpected publicity and looked elsewhere for their musical fulfilment. Anyway, we move on to the next act, which is what I have been waiting for.
 CARPENTERS- ( THEY LONG TO BE ) CLOSE TO YOU;- And danced to by Pan’s People!! Well five of them as Flick was out of the team during this period in October 1970. And unusually for the time, from known videos, nothing was seen of the crowd, so was this dance recorded separately to the main show? All the girls look lovely, stylish and very desirable in their long empire line dresses of pastel shades and hues. And very scrumptious and enormously aesthetically pleasing as well. It is noted that Ruth is in her usual yellow for this routine too. And looking simply adorable too! But she did not catch my eye the most in this routine. When I reviewed it last year, I gave Andi my top dancer mark, and the routine an overall 9/10. I do not have much to add to that review. Apart from reminding me of a time when I could write good and not overly long assessments of the dances. But Andi, the most doll-like in appearance and make up is the one for me in this superb dance. Which I think I should have notched up a few points, perhaps 9.5 is a more deserving mark. So very very sweet and lovely, and there isn’t much wrong with that. Has someone spread a cream over the camera lens, leaving the outer reaches obscured and the precise detail there lost? And the song itself is a pleasant enough way to listen to the Carpenters.
 THE HOLLIES- GASOLINE ALLEY BREAD;- Another repeat performance captured for posterity in this edition. And I am so glad it has for one of my favourite Hollies songs. The Hollies already had a long history by now, and this period was another glorious chapter in their passage of time. Here we see the band out of the matching suits they wore for longer than most, and into bright trendy apparel. In particular hatless drummer Bobby Elliott in a super stylish orange confection, which I am sure would look good on my wife. Not many great songs have the line ‘Woman get your head out of curlers’ to kick off with, for sure. The special three-way harmonies of The Hollies made them one of the outstanding and singular recording artists of the 60s and early 70s, and ‘Gasoline Alley Bred’ has one of the most fluently melodic tunes in popular music, I think. All five give great showings here, from the support of Elliott on drums and the superb technique from Bernie Calvert on bass. Plus the front line of the supporting vocal from Terry Sylvester, in fetching yellow top and a black choker- oh those 70s fashions, the underrated guitar picking and riffs from Tony Hicks- bringing that melodic tone to the fore-  and no less than the first class lead vocals from Allan Clarke, one of the best in the business, and here at his prime. And I don’t give a toss that they are miming instrumentally- probably! A superlative song from one of the greatest periods in popular music. Just in case you were in any doubt if I liked this or not.
 JIMMY RUFFIN- IT’S WONDERFUL ( TO BE LOVED BY YOU );- And the top quality of the artists continues with this song, performed in the Top Of The Pops studio, by Jimmy in person, seen over the enthusiastic dancing audience. And enthusiasm can get you a long way, if the talent is lacking. Jimmy was quite a frequent visitor to the BBC studios in West London it seems, but it is a shame that most of his personal appearances are now as vanished from the Earth as warm winds of summer. There is a jump or cut in the video for review about the 36.40 mark, but this does not detract very much from the cool and commanding performance from Jimmy. The changing colours in the background do not hamper the viewer either, and it is always a pleasure to see the dancers behind that cage. A feature that was never repeated, as far as I am aware, after it was jettisoned towards the end of 1970. Also very noticeable is a poor young lady with dark hair and wearing a white broad-brimmed hat moving sharply out of harm’s way of the camera as it approaches the stage.
 FREDA PAYNE- BND OF GOLD;- Number 1 time, but before that we see Tony and Johnny Johnson again, and the lady spotted earlier in the cage eyeing up her male neighbour. Has she got rid of him already? I reckon Johnny is interested. Clearly she has won a prize, and this is an occasion when I would have liked sound and to know what they are saying, she looks pleased enough, and so would you be. But now the number 1 record starts, and it is the same as the previous four weeks, and would still be there the week after as well. But it is a great song and vocal performance as noted above, and very much deserving the long residence in the top spot. But we only hear a minute or so of the song, which would have been well known by now by all us pop pickers, and that might have been enough at the time. But what we get is the shape of a dancing figure- anyone we know? Some bright lights and then a highly striking lady in a long red dress, noticed several times earlier, leading the dancing throng. A moment later the credits appear and we know the show is over for that week. The anonymous Pan’s People receive their mention, choreography by Flick Colby of course, and Tom Taylor directed the Woodstock film. Even the Crab Nebula Light Show is awarded a credit. And I am sure they took a bow. The programme finally ends with images of more dancing girls- of whom I cannot get enough of a fix, it seems. But the show is now no longer of the present but a thing of history, of the memory and of smiling dreams.
  What did I make of this edition of 15th October 1970? Does anyone really need to ask? If I said I enjoyed it immensely it would still be an understatement, it being marred only by the muted links from Tony which I would have like to have heard. Because of these it is hard to judge Mr. Blackburn’s efforts conclusively, and other editions do give proof how nervously he presents at times. But his smiling good humour, bonhomie and clear enthusiasm for the subject are very evident in the silence. Plus his immaculate clothing sense. Stylish to the last, our Tony!! It is also a requirement to note how important the audience were to the show at the time, including here. Many members caught my attention and the whole piece shows how much it must have been ‘hot ticket’ in the day. The notability of the crowd being a major plus from me when watching these editions of the early 70s. And a very big thank you to whoever thought of introducing the cage. It may not have been an original idea, at a guess copied from the U.S, though I have no idea from where or which show. But it augments the viewing experience of Top Of The Pops tremendously. And those seen behind the cage, in these kept shows, will be memorialised for aeons because of that.
  What acts did I like best for this week? In some much later editions I find it hard to like anything, but here I like nearly everything. Being a Pan’s People watcher, I obviously gained much enjoyment from their routine, and seeing them is a inevitably a huge bonus and delight. Beyond them, I liked much of everything. I certainly enjoyed the Woodstock film to a great track, and all the shots of the dancing crowds- as noted elsewhere. Of the acts appearing on the show, if Richard Barnes was the possible low point, then The Hollies are my undoubted high from this preserved edition. One of their best from one of the best. But Deep Purple were not so far behind. And The Rattles and Christie, and Jimmy. This was good, very very good. I once stated that I thought the 29th January 1970 edition was the best of the preserved shows left to us. Then this is close at hand. This was my youth. But as a 10 year old at the time, I have no memory of watching this show. And so cannot recall what I thought if I did, but I clearly like watching it now. I am so glad that I can, as often as I want. Thank you Mikey for putting it up here for us old folk to enthuse over. Those were indeed the days. I do lament their passing.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Hanway2
 Having finally read the other comments on this edition of TOTPs, which I never do beforehand as I feel it would influence my opinion, both here and Vintage Videos earlier thread, I see that there already has been some discussion about the girl in the Woodstock film. And if she was Louise Clarke’s sister or not. Well, she certainly looks very similar which is why I mentioned it above. But did not know about this possibility that she was the real sister. I presume that has never been decided satisfactorily one way or the other.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
I did a lookalikes comparison for the girl in the Woodstock clip and Louise here. I didnt remember the sister reference.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Lookalikes-tp4168469p4168587.html

One of the 1970 'films' features one of the audience girls that won a competiton, not sure if this was an ongoing thing, i guess we'll never know.