15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
15-10-70:   Presenter:  Tony Blackburn

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (and charts)
(NEW) CHRISTIE – San Bernadino
(2) DEEP PURPLE – Black Night  ®
(13) HORACE FAITH – Black Pearl  (crowd dancing)
(NEW) RICHARD BARNES – Go North
(25) THE RATTLES – The Witch
(11) MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT – Woodstock  (video)
(NEW) BASKIN & COPPERFIELD – I Never See The Sun
(8) THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(19) THE HOLLIES – Gasoline Alley Bred  ®
(38) JIMMY RUFFIN – It’s Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)
(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_vTFvA1d_DsHFUIPASyiT1kcu1ucn7Ci

Yes i'm posting another one, no I haven't gone mad, its just there are a few episodes to feature from October and I've been waiting for this one for some time, it being the only surviving colour edition from 1970 and one of the early episodes I've watched the most. This will be the last featured for the time being. So as far TOTP goes as we all know 1970 is a barren year indeed, the last surviving episode was back in February and even thats a poor quality copy. I think the reasons why I like this one so much is firstly the slightly wacky production, the psychedelic art that is used extensively taking advantage of the switch to colour at the end of 1969 no doubt. The second reason is how involved the audience seem to be at this point, with special mention to those lovely cage girls, it definitely wants to showcase people enjoying themselves with the music presented. It also helps that 1970 had a lot of good records. So far so good then?, well unfortunately this episode is not perfect and poor Tony's been muted on this surviving copy. But so be it, lets enjoy what we have.

Freda Payne (Charts) – Not much to note except the chart rundown captions are starting to look a bit worse for wear. This is the number one record of course and will feature again at the end of the show.

Christie – The 'Yellow River' guys come back with a similar sounding melodic number about a town in California. Although fashion wise they may be looking a bit ridiculous to modern eyes, I still think they look pretty cool, but hard to think this is the same decade as glam, punk and new wave not that far in the future. This musical style was definitely in vogue at the time and I do like it, its practically easy listing compared to the next act.

Deep Purple – Heavy rock or heavy metal?, honestly I don't know, this doom leaden effort is surprisingly catchy with its memorable riff although I'm not sure what the cool kids in the audience would have made of it, bubblegum pop this ain't. First appearing in September the same month as Black Sabbeths Paranoid this is definitely another more adventurous and darker musical avenue for the future opening up, let the headbanging commence, and don't forget to turn it up to 11!

Horace Faith – and now for a bit of reggae (are they attempting to go through all the genres tonight  then?), and this is proper reggae and therefore something decent to dance to, so lets have the audience dance section and very entertaining it is too. Not a bad song all in all. It looks like there is some dance contest going on as well, at the end of which the winning boy and girl are given a prize, ooh how exciting.

Richard Barnes – I don't know anything about this guy but his previous record Take to the Mountains and this one Go North are both excellent rousing stuff which I like a lot and sadly unlikely to be played these days. I wonder happened to him.

The Rattles – First appearing on TOTPs some two months ago!, is their psychedelic jam about a witch which also seems to owe a debt to Hitchcock's psycho is the string section. With her mad eyes and long black hair the singer would probably make a good witch herself, just needs a pointy hat, well it was close to Halloween I suppose. Its quite silly but also well done and actually has a nice groove to it.

Matthews Southern Comfort – from the ridiculous to the sublime, I love this record by MSC in all its dreamy folky glory. The lyrics may be a bit hippy dippy but its well meaning hippy dippy. Perhaps if I was born 20 years earlier I could have been a rainbow child? nah maybe not. The accompanying video (probably one made for TOTP) is rather nice too, following a young lady on her way to Woodstock from the crowds of the city to the peaceful backdrop of the countryside and meeting like-minded festival goers. Obviously they cant recreate this scenario fully, but I think they managed to capture the spirit.

Baskin & Copperfield – who are these herberts then? apparently they later went on to be part of the Rubettes but for now they were just the unglamorous sounding Baskin & Copperfield. I'm kind of on the fence with this one, sometimes I like it, and sometimes it sounds a bit meh, oh and I refer to my earlier comment about these 1970 fashions. Still they look like they are enjoying themselves anyway.

The Carpenters – was this their first hit? certainty The Carpenters have a distinct style of their own and Karens voice is lovely. Essentially a song about wanting to capture the popular guy, probably a well worn path but it does work well in this case. I was never that enthusiastic about the Pans dance initially, but over time I've realised how intricate Flicks choreography can be, although she was absent from the group on screen at this point in time, the group make up for this with another masterful display.

The Hollies – Not sure about this one, this is only a year on from the epic, He ain't heavy he's my brother, and although this has its moments, its certainly not up with that.

Jimmy Ruffin – Yeah this is pretty good, a nice bit of soul music late in the day. Nothing special but a nice inclusion nonetheless.

Freda Payne (again) – after Jimmy there is another prize giving for some girl (not sure what this was for as its muted of course) and then on with the number one. This is a bit of an achilles heel in the show not the song which is great, but the fact they are playing the end credits, some audience dancing and some graphical effects similar to the intro over top, its a bit of a mess and a shame they couldn't feature the number one in its entirety. I wonder who the silhouetted dancer was.

So whilst not perfect this is certainly a decent showcase of how the show was in 1970. Of course TOTP was a constantly evolving show and within a matter of months this was all gone as 1971 came bringing a wind of change and a step further from the 60s. Favourite of the show goes to Woodstock.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Gosh, where did those 4 years go?. Glad we now have a better resource than the dodgy 4Shared.

I forgot to mention Johnny Johnson was the guest judge/prize giver, although Blame It On The Pony Express didn't chart for a while after, in fact it appears on the 7-1-71 and 28-1-71 shows.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Would anyone like to comment on this show?

It's quite good really (honest).

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
I'll have a good look at it over the weekend, so don't take it down, Mikey

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Hanway2
  Yes, I will comment in the very near future, Mikey.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey wrote

I've had a lot on recently. I'll get round to Mikey

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Great, thanks guys!

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
The 60s might have been done with but the shadow cast still envelops this edition. The survival of a colour 1970 show is cause for celebration when others are lost, probably for good. Sadly Tony Blackburn has been muted. No bad thing some might say

Christie - San Bernadino The follow up to Yellow River, and sounding very similar. The kaftan wearing singer looks a bit strange.

Deep Purple - Black Night Classic riff which every aspiring rock guitarist must learn. A clip seen many times since, so it's nice to see the show it came from. So iconic that I expect it to be played loud and proud long after I have shuffled off my mortal coil.

Horace Faith - Black Pearl I've heard the song before but its singer is a new name to me. No routine. No BBC vid. And so we get some audience dancing. There are many different "looks" among the kids ranging from the positively groovy to the terminally square. Not a bad little reggae number.

Tony has a guest to hand out records to the best dancers. I think this was a regular feature as I seem to remember seeing Arsenal ace Peter Marinello doing something similar on another show.

Richard Barnes - Go North Another of those "prodigal son" type records, where the protagonist finds himself yearning for the wholesomeness of the ol' farmstead after being distracted by, er, California grass...maybe. Get back, Jojo. Pleasant enough though not very memorable.

The Rattles - The Witch An oddity, no doubt. But one to watch before quietly slipping it back into the archive for future generations.

Tony is seen with some pretty girls. I especially like the style of the young lady wearing her hair up.

Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock  Ah, we get a BBC vid after all! This time a young lady arrives at Paddington off the Oxford train. Hey, I wonder if she lived in Woodstock. It might be why she notices that poster for, you know, that other Woodstock. It's enough for her to go all hippy on us. As for the record. Brilliant. Always loved it.

Baskin & Copperfield are up next, or, as they later became known, Hey, I Think They Were In The Rubettes, Weren't They? - I Never See The Sun Awful mess of a record. Uneven vocals sung live. Boring and repetitive. Didn't chart.

Tony has found a green goddess in the crowd.

Carpenters - Close To You danced to by Pan's...or is it The Bennet Sisters. The girls look as if they have just wandered in off the set of the latest Jane Austen adaptation. Very feminine.

The Hollies - Gasoline Alley Bred For me one of those records which take a few listens to before you "get" it. And then it becomes a ear worm. Great to see The Hollies still doing the business, though Graham Nash has left for global stardom reasons.

Jimmy Ruffin - It's Wonderful To Be Loved By You The vocals are decent and it has the Tamla Motown production sound, but this is pretty forgettable.

More records presented by Tony's guest. One girl has copped three! Pity they're all copies of the Baskin & Copperfield single. Hey, darling, we've got a van load of these, do any of your friends want some. Please...me mum has re-mortgaged the house...and The Rubettes are still four years away etc etc

Freda Payne - Band Of Gold gets short shrift played over the closing credits, but seeing as it was No.1 for six weeks it's not as if people had never heard it before. And it did get played over the chart rundown too. Top tune, nevertheless.

Well, I enjoyed that. Thanks for the upload, Mikey.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

1970 time.  These "older" episodes are quite fascinating I think.  Having the DJ links muted detracts only a tiny bit for me although I find it a bit odd that sometimes you can still hear them in the background  but maybe because they are being picked up by a different mike (is that how it works?).  Anyway on to the meat:

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (and charts)   - Great song but I still find it funny to reveal all the secrets and play the #1 right at the beginning of the Party even after all these years. 7/10 (as no sign of Freda)

(NEW) CHRISTIE – San Bernadino  -  Good vocal performance and nice twangy guitar but ultimately mediocre song.  However this is where we see the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  for the first time so  8/10

(2) DEEP PURPLE – Black Night  ® -  Excellent stuff from the lads.  Gillan is not as attractive as the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  but is powerful nevertheless and this is a good heavy tune with excellent instrumental breaks  9.5/10

(13) HORACE FAITH – Black Pearl  (crowd dancing)  -  A reasonably good song but the interest here is the audience, who are just fascinating to me.   The PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  stars once again, we happily see the SULTRY GREEN DRESS LADY for the first time, the NON-SMILING BLONDE  returns unnecessarily and then we see the champions, the LITHE BROTHER AND SISTER DANCING PRODIGIES who receive a prize from TB and the long red collar guy JOHNNY JOHNSON (thanks Vin).  The music is only fair but the visuals from the audience are the best yet in my opinion so darn it 10/10

(NEW) RICHARD BARNES – Go North  -  No don't come here!  He clearly doesn't like Southern Comfort though and if he means the drink then I agree 100%.   Anyway I find the song drones an and so he's lucky to get Northern Charity 3/10

(25) THE RATTLES – The Witch  -  Whoah, what the **** is this?  This lead singer is truly weird but not completely horrid.  I got a little distracted by the Crowd again but they seem to be from another episode and the most noticeable items were a nice trio of miniskirts.  Sorry it strikes me that I am being completely sexist in my Audience watching here (except BROTHER DANCING PRODIGY) so I apologize but am unable to change as I have been designated in the new sexual group called CLUMSY and we CLUMSIES just make all sorts of mistakes right from birth.  Anyway I digress, the Rattles in the end only partially catch my interest so I am giving 6/10

(11) MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT – Woodstock  (video)  -  Brilliant song, another oddly chosen Video combining British Rail with what appear to be a well dressed and non-aggressive group of Zombies in the woods.  The leading lady is nice though - oops there I go again (Vin said it might be Louise's sister though)   8/10

(NEW) BASKIN & COPPERFIELD – I Never See The Sun  -  These two were just horrid.  I thought the other guy should have been the lead singer (the one in the green Fellowship of the Ring suit) but even if he had been I would still have given this song the same low score.  Also I started to get irritated at this stage because I hadn't seen the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  for quite a while (although the SULTRY GREEN DRESS LADY  appears in the next link so that helped a bit).  2/10

(8) THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You  (danced to by Pan’s People)  - not my fave as many of you know.  Silky Karen voice is nice of course but this dance is not great and they look like spooky Aunties to me and for some reason their noses look too big (no idea why this is!).  Still watchable but not great 7/10

(19) THE HOLLIES – Gasoline Alley Bred  ®   -  Easy to appreciate the vocals and harmonies but the song is not their best.  Really missing the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE now. 7/10

(38) JIMMY RUFFIN – It’s Wonderful (To Be Loved By You)  -   Actually it's not wonderful, in fact it's quite ordinary, although the PENULTIMATE BRUNETTE  finally gets the award she so richly deserves from JJ long red collar guy after the song 5/10

(1) FREDA PAYNE – Band Of Gold  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)   Too brief but still a good song 6/10

Well Mikey I loved this episode but mainly for the crowd and you know who, signed Clumsy P4PM.  The Horace Faith dancing was the highlight and yes it easily beat Pans this time for me (sorry).  Deep Purple, Freda Payne and Matthews SC were good too.  Baskin and Copperfield should manufacture ice cream.

Re: 15-10-70 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Looks like Baskin & Copperfield are in for a hard time, but yes lovely ice cream fellas.

I wonder who the ultimate brunette could be

Is it Ruth?