1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

This post compiles what we know about the various stages used around March/April 1970 in an attempt to work out which weeks they were used.

What we know

LOVE stage:
Confirmed usage 26/03/70
Possibly used other weeks as two dance pictures exists.
If dates are correct it co-existed with the KRISHNA stage.
Marsha Hunt seeing in front of Spiral galaxy 26/03 without orange heads!
The Hollies performed on it 09/04.

KRISHNA stage with ORANGE MONKEYS:
The Who performed on this set, most likely date 26/03/70
Radha Krishna Temple performed on this set on an unconfirmed date. (Either 19/03/70 or 09/04/70)
Pan's People performed on this set on an unknown date.
If dates are correct it co-existed with the LOVE stage.

RAINBOW stage:
Used by The Pipkins 02/04/70.
Almost certainly used by Pan's People on the same date as the ladder in both pictures is in an identical position.

TRIBAL stage:
Used by The Who, the date given by Getty is believed to be wrong, it is more likely 07/05/70.

KRISHNA and LOVE stage on the same show.
It's fairly certain that the 26/03/70 had both sets on the show, which seems impossible as they appear to be in the same position. The only solution we can find is that The Who performance was recorded on the set a week earlier and not shown until the next week after the single had been released (22/03).

SURVIVING FOOTAGE
26/02/70 COMPLETE SHOW
05/03/70 NOTHING
12/03/70 Joe Dolan - You're Such A Good Looking Woman (UNSEEN).
19/03/70 NOTHING
26/03/70 King Crimson - Cat Food (ON THE LOVE STAGE).
26/03/70 The Who - The Seeker (VIDEO SHOWS KRISHNA STAGE)
02/04/70 NOTHING
09/04/70 NOTHING
16/04/70 NOTHING
23/04/70 England World Cup Squad - Back Home (UNSEEN, PHOTO SHOWS No.s 12345 and Paul Newman screen)
30/04/70 NOTHING
07/05/70 Richard Barnes - Take to the Monutains (UNSEEN)
14/05/70 NOTHING
21/05/70 Tony Joe White - Groupie Girl (UNSEEN)

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

LOVE stage, known pictures.
Joe Dolan

King Crimson

Pan's People

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

KRISHNA stage with Orange Monkeys:
The Who - This performance survives!

Radha Krishna Temple (Dated March 1970 by Getty)

Pan's People

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

RAINBOW stage:
Pipkins

Pan's People

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

TRIBAL stage:
Dusty Springfield 02/04/70

The Who Dated 26/03/70 by Getty but this believed to be incorrect and more likely to be 07/05/70

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

OTHERS:
Marsha Hunt 26/03/70

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Doc wrote
26/03/70 The Who - The Seeker (UNSEEN, PHOTO SHOWS TRIBAL STAGE)
The performance (in b&w) can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L19zZk2ka9M

It was also released on DVD
Vin

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Doc
That's certainly not the same performance as the ones Getty have dated 26/03/70. Their pictures have been taken by two different people, it seems odd that they have got them both wrong.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Doc
When would that have been shown in Germany?

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

VintageVideos
It was shown on Hits A Gogo on 06/05/1970, so it's highly unlikely that it is the TOTP performance from 07/05/70. Besides, that same Hits A Gogo edition also features King Crimson from TOTP 26/03/70.
Vin

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Doc
I'd say impossible, so it looks like Getty's dates are wrong for The Who. As the Radha Krishna Temple pictures are dated as March 70 it would tend to back this up.  The only other possibility is 23/04 not being a repeat.

What it does mean is that the LOVE stage and Orange monkeys stage must have co-existed at one time on the show.

As the two stages appear to be in the same position, we have to consider the possibility that The Who recorded their performance a week earlier on the 19/03 stage before their single had been released (22/03).

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Mikey
The set from a different week this time, 9-4-70.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Something I've always suspected is that some of the studio performances were pre recorded and then later used as new in the show.  Looking through the BBC 4 tweets for the current shows I see that the Eurythmics pre recorded their appearance, also Shalamar stayed behind after the show they were on to pre record their next single, which unfortunately for them was never used. This would possibly explain The Who - The Seeker not looking right for the show it was supposed to be from.
I wonder if the BBC still have these performance sheets for the missing episodes? They would be a real treasure trove in proving what was on the shows.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Legsfan
Thanks Doc.
They must have digitized all of these documents by now, I think they should make all of the production information available for everyone as I certainly would like to know things like that.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

I got my magic crayons out

Picture upgraded.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Mikey
That was 19th March wasn't it?

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

Doc
I think so. Quite possibly Rag Mama Rag.

Re: 1970 LOVE, KRISHNA, RAINBOWS and ORANGE MONKEYS

BeautifulBabs
Babs wiping foot on Ruth's shoulder how close knit they were