 With so many lost shows from this era i thought it would be nice to document the many sets used in chronolgical order where possible using the wonderful photos from Getty and other similar resources.

1970 - The theme of this year is 'The Cage', ideal for filming the dancers from below, this was introduced in late January and occupies the centre of the set. An ever changing array of psychedelic art is on set most of the year, including a spiral galaxy and moon images used regularly. The stage on the left regularly replace the background images and is the one Pans People used, in the centre in front of the cage is a cross shaped stage and to the right another stage the 'Space Tent', which later on in the year becomes a more metalic version.

Note - performance dates are based on the best available evidence at the time, for any corrections please post a comment on the applicable year

The Audiences

Cage (date unknown)

Space Tent with Moon image (date unknown)

Xmas Show

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Pans People 01-01-70

Jethro Tull - 12-02-70

Radha Krishna Temple (assisted by Pans People)/Bob & Marcia - 19-03-70

Pans People/King Crimson on the L.O.V.E set 26-03-70

England World Cup Squad - 23-04-70

The Who - 07-05-70 (most likely), the second image appears to be a different stage in the same style

Butterscotch - 14-05-70

Mungo Jerry 04-06-70

The New Seekers 30-07-70

Johnny Johnson and The Bandwagon 06-08-70 or 20-08-70

The Rattles 13-08-70

Blue Mink 10-09-70

Christie, Baskin & Copperfield and Jimmy Ruffin 15-10-70

Status Quo 22-10-70

Mary Hopkin - 22-10-70

White Plains 05-11-70 or 19-11-70

T-Rex Nov

The Beach Boys - 19-11-70

Mr Bloe - 25-12-70

Cat Stevens / The Who - Into 71, 31-12-70

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
Check here. Cornershop has put some links to 1970 stages that you'll be interested in.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=7790&st=120&#entry22084144
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks Doc, i think ive already got a few off him, via google images.

Have you noticed the white piano (King Crimson, White Plains and Butterscotch) is a prop, they just paint the back.

There's a query about the date of the White Plains picture on Popscene (same address as above).
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks Doc, i think he is right there, i had not noticed a third much later performance, having ruled out it being My Baby Loves Lovin’ based on this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpOR-YpIUA

It seems the boxes overhead are a later 1970 addition, I will use his colour version and amend.

The Bob and Marcia pic of 19-3-70 is interesting, using the same imagery of Radha Krisna Temple seems to suggest that is the correct date.

His input would be very welcome of course, on any of the 4 years i cover so far.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

That would only be Pan's on the Love set 26/03 if they performed twice on the show, not impossible but certainly unusual.

Edit: I'm wondering if that was Spirit in the Sky (crowd dancing) and they did appear twice! Do we have the Love stage appearing any other week? Still think The Who-The Seeker looks wrong for that week. Is the Popscene database wrong here?
I check the BBC Genome project and as expected no band credits (well there wouldn't be would there).
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
Checking the pictures from the 2 routines I'm pretty sure that Dee Dee has longer hair in routine 3. Which would mean they are not from the same week.
I've put a comparison here: http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/3-Unknown-Routine-March-1970-tp4100785p4100786.html
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
It might just be that she has less of it falling forward as per the 2nd picture when they are leaning into the shot.

I think you're right, I've just found a picture of Dee Dee on 02/04/70 and her hair is very long again. I'm guessing the style change was a result of wearing the wig.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Shot of Dusty and Tom Springfield on 2/4. This would be on the cross stage which seems to consistantly be in the middle of the studio in front of one of the cages. The artwork on the left looks different to that seen on the LOVE stage. It also cannot be seen behind Pans indicating a different week.

Whilst this needs more evidence, my theory would be the 26/3 is Who do you Love and Spirit in the Sky, and Spirit in the Sky again the following week on the rainbow set.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
Whilst this needs more evidence, my theory would be the 26/3 is Who do you Love and Spirit in the Sky, and Spirit in the Sky again the following week on the rainbow set.
If you are saying that Pans danced to SITS on two successive weeks I would say that was extremely unlikely. At this time they would simply have got the audience to dance to it one week in the absence of an arty film.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

If The Who appearance is 26/03 the two stages appear to be in exactly the same place. Check the projection screen and the bars. I don't think the Krishna stage with orange faces and the Love stage were on the same show unless the Love stage was moved elsewhere for 26/03.
I think the date of The Who's appearance is in error and it is from a one of the shows Krishna appeared on, possibly 19/0

Pan's on the Love stage, note the position of the hanging projection screen and the bars

The Who supposedly on 26/03, the screen and the bars are in the same position.

RKT on the same set as The Who either 19/03 or 09/04. Note the spotlight above The Who guitarist seems the same as the RKT picture.

Pan's on the Love stage that appears to be in the same place as the RKT one. There are other RKT pictures that show the same stuff hanging from the ceiling.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Intriguing isnt it, to me the staging looks so similar

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
It is quite possibly the same stage redecorated. You can see the projector screen at the right hand side.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Good work by Cornershop on Popscene, the thing hanging from the ceiling has a horse on it and can be seen in a picture of Sacha Distel from 19/02/70, also who is the person that is possibly singing at the right hand side of the posed picture?
http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=7790&st=120&#entry22084272
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
A horse eh, how random. It seems like the set is often set up the same, from Left to Right

Left Stage, Screen, Left Cage, Centre Cage (with cross stage in front), Right Cage, Right Stage. The screen may be relocated on some shows.

The left stage appears to be the one Pans used, as you can often see the screen on the right, and even the cage. The background images change frequently.
The right stage has a dome background seen in various forms, such as this

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
The constant redecoration seems to be fairly unique to the early 70's. The changes are a lot less obvious on the shows that we've seen recently on BBC 4.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
When Cornershop spotted the horse he also said that one of the things on the roof was a picture of Paul Newman, well here it is. They must have been able to swing down from the ceiling as required.

Good to see Lloyd back!
1234