Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
I had a closer look at the things on the ceiling, the one in the background on the right appears to be a picture of a cowboy.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
The things on the ceiling did change as shown in the Mungo Jerry Picture

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
I think that's the horse on the ceiling for Radha Krishna Temple

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
Oh that looks just like the picture I put up on the last page

The pictures on the ceiling were taken from this picture:
(thanks again to Cornershop)

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Weird, i never noticed you already posted it, i've deleted it no point in duplicating.

Re: 1970

I was watching The Kinks at the BBC on iplayer and noticed a similar looking stage to the 'space tent' near the end of the song (when the camera goes behind the band). It was silver/green (but that could just be the lighting) and some squares seemed to have been replaced by discs. It is to the right of the stage. (They are on the one near the spiral galaxy). You can also make out the projection screen to the left of the stage.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

In the two pictures of The Who, everything about the band is identical except the two drums to the left of Keith Moon have moved to the right in the smaller picture. I'm guessing one is a rehearsal and the other the performance.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Good spot on the green stage, yes i think its down to lighting, its probably silver in reality.

The Who thing is another little conundrum, what is it with this band

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
Still can't work out how The Seeker fits in to the 26/03/70 episode as the stage seems to be in the same position as the Love stage! Now it would fit perfectly on the 19/03/70 show. Could it be a database error?
So far I can see a large stage to the left of the studio, a cross shape stage near the spiral galaxy and stage with a semi circular background to the right. The projection screen seems to sit between the left and cross stages.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Having rewatched both The Seeker and Catfood again, the cowboy picture is definatly on the left side of the stage for The Seeker and for Catfood its a planet (The Moon?), so not the same week. Perhaps the who prerecorded the previous week due to their availability, Popscene states an audio version of 19-3 exists so the non appearance of the who in the broadcast should be correct.

Also found another version of 23-4, now with 2 pictures

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
I've found a distant picture of a 1970 studio and there appears to be 3 stages in a group, The cross shape stage is central, with space tent to the right. There may possibly be a stage behind the camera, but there is a definite gap between it if there is one. The whole filming area seems to be really small. I'll try and scan it a put it up.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

I like the idea of a pre filmed performance by The Who. I'm certain it was not filmed the same day as those on the love stage.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Yes Doc, that would be good, and confirm what i mentioned last week about the various stages. Here is a nice shot of Jethro Tull camera pointing towards the right.

The set here is a new one for me, the one i remember from a while back would be the 29-1 which seems to have entirely dissapeared from Youtube but the performance was the same set as Pans used for Im A Man. This one here would be 22-1, and the one with the large face from 11-2 (same set as Instant Karma)

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
The Jethro Tull video clip comes from 8th January, before the re-vamped set design with the cage.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Oh thats cool, i didnt notice the absence of the cage would this have been a pre record then as Popscene does not list it on that show?

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
Yes

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks, ive updated the intro description based on recent discussions.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
A 1970 studio, it appears to be before the projection screen was used. Three stages can be seen. There appears to be one to the left of the camera as well. I'm guessing that the cameras mainly stayed in the middle and panned round to the stage on use. This would mean that the backing for the hidden stage would be at right angles to the one on the left.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Good pic Doc, yes its an early set (no cage), the stage on the left is a picture ive never seen before but the centre stage matches the one from Vanity Fayre who performed on 18-12-69 and 22-1-70, im not sure how different if at all the stage was in Dec 1969 though to confirm which one. It looks like Tony on the set but he did both of those shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrNT39QTkI