Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
I think that's probably Rolf Harris on the stage.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Could well be, the background looks right.
I've checked the picture with a magnifying glass and I think I can make out some glasses.

Both Two Little Boys on TOTP, both quoted as 1969.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973

The same images are used for shocking blue on 29-01, although swapped round.

Edit: Vanity Fare can be ruled out, watching it again the picture images by the band are solid rather than the clear plastic ones and the spiral galaxy is not there either. This performance from arrival could be 1-1 or 15-1 again has a different background so would rule out either of those weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-xyItBvWI

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

This pic of the vanity fare peformance closely matches the set from the clip of the girl dancing to Sugar Sugar. Id therefore place that in December 1969 and not January.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
A couple of January pre cage pics, Badfinger from 1-1-70 (still cant read those bubble letters) and Kenny Rogers 15-1-70

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
This pic of the vanity fare peformance closely matches the set from the clip of the girl dancing to Sugar Sugar. Id therefore place that in December 1969 and not January.
Both the items mentioned are from 18/12/69. Yes, I know Sugar Sugar isn't featured in that edition but the surviving clip is clearly not from the broadcast episode.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

A couple more screen caps from that strange 1969/70 crossover time, the performance date is 29-1-70 for Jonathan King, but the cageless set puts the recording date a few weeks earlier. I've not seen a background like the one on the left before.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

The Moody Blues 23-04-70

The Who 07-05-70

Stevie Wonder 09-07-70

Hot Legs (later 10cc) 16-07-70 or 30-07-70

James Taylor/Gene Pitney 29-10-70

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
The England football team were photographed in front of the numbers. Must have been after 'singing' Back Home.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Yes thats right, and the Moody Blues would have been performing Question

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
I don't think this week has been covered before 9-4-70 (Shocking Blue performing), nice to see another use for those Oval shapes

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

I haven't updated this in a while as i thought the source material had run dry, so i was pleasantly surprised to find a clip of Herman's Hermits - Years May Come, Years May Go from the 12-2-70 show. Trying to figure out a possible recording date for this, as clearly the background is different to 'I Want You back' so must be an earlier week and could be the same one from the Jonathan King recording i'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3mNU-cwvk4

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
Off the top of my head you're right Mikey so well observed. There was a weekend of insert recording during January 1970, presumably to help the upcoming extended length of TOTP to 45 mins. Herman's Hermits, Jonathan King, Steve and Albert etc were all recorded then so that's probably why that set is slightly unique and doesn't necessarily match an ordinary episode.

A clearer view...

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks for the upgraded pic and info PansLegs, i'd forgotten that masterpiece 'Follow The Bouncing Ball' , but the clip does actually give a good view of the studio and its clearly the same set.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
I've found a reference to the Saturday recording day on 3rd January 1970 on a list of Badfinger recordings. It also mentions Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits and Marmalade on the same day, this was shown on the 15th January although Popscene mentions this as a repeat.

https://badfinge.ipower.com/Badfinger/BadfingerTV.html

Speaking of Dave Clarke Five, i found the image below (it was really small hence the low quality) which appears to be the same background (or very similar) from Green River, although the big blue letters don't appear to be there so probably an earlier week and the only performance listed for them is from 27th November 1969 (first colour show).

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PansLegs
The 15th was the first showing of the Badfinger performance. Possibly the information source used by Popscene flags up that it was a VT insert and therefore they assumed it was a repeat.

On that insert weekend they also recorded The Peddlers and Judith Durham but it looks like they never used Judith's performance.

Good find Mikey, no doubt the same set I'd say with different lighting.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks PL for the added info (and for the updated pics)

I've made some additions to the main list to fill some of the gaps, these are

30-07 New Seekers
06-08 Johnny Johnson and The Bandwagon (they also appeared on the 22-08)
13-08 The Rattles
15-10 Christie, Baskin & Copperfield and Jimmy Ruffin
Nov Alternative shot of T-Rex perofrming Ride A White Swan