Quantcast

1973 The theme?, there isn't one, this could be because Robin Nash took over in late 1972, lots of weird art for a lot of the year though. The long stage from 71 and 72 lasts a few months into this year too.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973

Wizzard 11-01-73

Tony Christie 01-02-73

The Faces - 08-02-73

Slade - 22-02-73, 01-03-73 or 08-03-73

Slade - 15-03-73 (Possible) - see notes

The Supremes 29-03-73 - see notes

Wings 05-04-73

The Sweet - 24-04-73 (most likely)

Pans People / Hot Chocolate - April/May

The Sweet/10cc 04-05-73

Stealers Wheel - 18-05-73

Peters & Lee - 08-06-73 (likely)

Gladys Knight & The Pips 15-06-73

Elton John - 29-06-73

Roy Wood - 03-08-73 or 24-08-73 (see notes)

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - 13-09-73

Lynsey De Paul 04-10-73 (500th Show), although she is wearing a different outfit on the actual show.

Status Quo/Peters and Lee - 18-10-73

Suzi Quattro - 01-11-73 or 08-11-73

Nazarath 08-11-73

Mott The Hoople/Pans People 13-12-73

Pans People 25-12-73

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Still Short of decent photos for Jan, Jul, Aug, Oct

Jean Genie 4-1-73

Blockbuster 18-1-73

July

October

Notes
Slade - Flowers, same (or very similar) to PPs Tie a Yellow Ribbon 22-3-73, except that stage has hexagons painted on it.
Supremes - Originally i thought this was '72 because of the star, but a photo showing Jimmy Saville on the set on that day and the coloured stage similar to Slade and PP confirms this date.
Roy Wood - Angel Fingers (as Wizzard) footage from 31-08 on similar set

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Does anyone here have access to the 22-6-73 show?, if so could you tell me if the photo of Peters and Lee is from this date, cheers.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

PattiForPM
I have it Mikey and Peters and Lees' clothes are different (he has a collared shirt and she is sleeveless) and the stage is more angular with crowd members behind them so perhaps not

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

VintageVideos
All credible sources date the surviving Stealers Wheel clip as TOTP 01/06/73 which means that the picture was most probably taken on 18/05/73.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks for the info guys, i have updated the pics and also added in an earlier 10cc and Sweet which seems to be on the same show.

The Peters and Lee background seems to be the one on this 10cc performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEVvu-IAVk

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Doc
I suspect this was 73, the pictures were used when Eye Level was No.1

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Thanks Doc, yes its from 18th Oct, ive added it to the list, it look like this was the same as the 500th show set a few weeks earlier.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
A very odd looking Chicory Tip on 27-4-73, which matches the set with Sweet/10cc posted earlier.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973 (forthcoming)

Mikey
Yet more of those damn bugs!

White Plains 22-2-73

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973

philmoss
I would have thought that the pictures of 10cc and Sweet from 4th May 1973 were NOT from the same week. If 2 different bands were sharing the same stage the same week, surely they would have shared a standard "in house" drum kit. This kit looks more like the one that Kevin Godley is playing, although the stage is different.

Re: Top of The Pops Sets 1970 - 1973

Mikey
Hi Phil, thanks for your comment, looking at the Sweet picture above it seems to be the same set layout as Stealers Wheel 18th May. I think the new stage came into use the week before when Pans People danced to Deodato. The drums thing is interesting though, in the previous performances they had Sweet written on them, but not on this one.

Re: 1973

philmoss
That's what I mean about an "in house" drum kit. In the first Sweet picture, Sweet are obviously using their own drums, but in the second picture they look the same as the ones used by Stealers Wheel.
And, as looks likely, Sweet and Stealers Wheel used the same stage the same week, surely they would share the same drumkit.
It's not feasible to take down and erect another drumkit in the middle of a show.
That's why I don't think the first Sweet picture and the one of 10cc are the same week, Because although the stage looks the same, it is two completely different drum kits.
I hope all this makes sense.
My theory is
The first Sweet picture (Sweet's own drumkit) is 27-4-73
The 10cc picture is 4-5-73
The Stealers Wheel and second Sweet picture (same stage, shared drumkit) is 18-5-73
And finally that would mean this next Sweet picture is 4-5-73 (same week as 10cc, but on a different stage)

Re: 1973

Mikey
Complex this isnt it

Chicory Tip seem to be using the same wooden sides drums as the Sweet, sans logo of course on 27-4.

Re: 1973

Mikey
This seems to be a hybrid of the 2 styles used around Feb/Mar, The New Seekers performed on 15-2-73