22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
22-6-72:   Presenter:  Ed Stewart

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16WADx7wDFXU7Vt-AfWawEmx-hZ6-VMNR (the first on the list)

(8) THE SWEET – Little Willy  (crowd dancing)  (and charts)
(6) GARY GLITTER – Rock And Roll (Part 2)
(24) ELVIS PRESLEY – An American Trilogy  (video)
(43) ARGENT – Tragedy
(20) FREE – Little Bit Of Love  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(21) THE NEW SEEKERS – Circles
(NEW) DANA – Crossword Puzzle
(7) THE MOVE – California Man
(1) DON McLEAN – Vincent  (video)
(25) B. BUMBLE & THE STINGERS – Nut Rocker  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)
>> This episode exists, minus The Sweet, Gary Glitter and the first part of Elvis Presley.

So then 1972 (sigh), not much left of it is there?, the BBC did a great job of wiping those tapes back then, and what we have left in this (recovered) episode is far from broadcast quality (how on earth did it end up looking like this?), but hey we take what we can and its probably a minor miracle we can watch this one at all. So a somewhat truncated show here, both the Sweet and Gary Glitter (2 glam stalwarts of the time of course) are not on this copy (The Sweet is a crowd dance anyway) but there is a later performance of 'Little Willy' featuring the band here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6I-pmV0RA

This seems to be the point where The Sweet went glam 'proper', or at least its a major step up from their previous efforts in my opinion. I would always expect a certain level of 'stompy-ness' to qualify as glam, and this certainly seems to fit the bill, clearly the start of a good two year period ahead for the group with some 'stomping' glam classics ahead. This song peaked at number 4. I'd have liked to talk about the Gary Glitter performance of 'Rock and Roll (part 2)' as this was his heyday but since there is nothing available I'll have to move on. So the episode starts half way through a pretty grim looking civil war battle on what was probably this weeks home made TOTP film clip for 'An American Trilogy' by Elvis (yeah he's still around). They seem to have recruited about 20 people for this battle recreation, quite impressive. There is only about a minute left of this and it sounds like rousing stuff from Elvis but not enough for me to have much of an opinion. Argent are up next, with 'Tragedy', a record that is is probably unfamiliar to most, i.e. not being 'Hold Your Head Up' their big hit. Its a decent tune, with some nice echoey effects and sounds a lot like Free to me (more of them coming up) but probably not commercial enough to be a solid hit, and it only reached number 34. I like the use of shades indoors though very cool.

Speaking of cool why its Pan's People dancing to 'Little Bit of Love' by Free. Recorded shortly after Flick had stopped performing with the group, this is one I always forget about, perhaps I'm put off by the picture quality and not the routine itself which is pretty good. Wearing some tribal Native American style outfits in their delegated colours which are 'a bit nice' as Ed Stewart tells us later (yeah we know Ed, we know!), I certainly don't think the dancing here is Pans at their best but its certainly a welcome addition in a barren year.

Image borrowed from PansLegs because its better than what is on this viewable copy.

Its easy to see the appeal of the New Seekers particularly the lead females of course, although I guess they were kind of folk-pop they made some nice records. This one, 'Circles' was a rapid follow up to 'Beg Steal or Borrow', which in turn was a rapid follow up to their number one 'I'd Like To Teach The World to Sing', striking while the iron is hot there. Anyway Circles is nice an almost dreamy melody, this style is perhaps the antithesis of glam, and its good no particular genre was too dominant as the music history books would always have us believe, and is my favourite so far. Strange that this was on consecutive weeks though.

Not a million miles away in style is Dana (ah Dana we meet again!) and bizarrely Ed urges everyone to go out and buy it (they didn't!). As per the title of the record Dana is comparing life to a 'Crossword Puzzle', I've always been hopeless at these things but anyway this record..hmm, well actually I quite like it despite a few cringey lyrics like “we've had a cross word or two, me and you”. This record didn't chart and it will be October 1974 before Dana is back on TOTP. The next one is interesting, the final performance from The Move for 'California Man' now at number 7. In 5 weeks Jeff Lynne will be performing again on TOTP without Roy and this time as ELO and the rest, as they say, is history. Meanwhile back with California Man and Roy Wood hasn't gone full 'Wizard' yet and looks like a long haired teddy boy in fact this is really a rock n roll revival record and a jolly time is had by all. Some bad picture break up at the end spoils the footage a little.

Because of the missing start this program is zipping by and we are already at the number one, 'Vincent' by Don Mclean, a classic indeed. Looks like this was filmed at a college in the US and the audience are largely transfixed, I like the girl doing the knitting who doesn't even break concentration while watching Don perform, I wonder what is was (my money is on a scarf). A deserved number one this tribute to Van Gough is just a beautiful record (although I think it should have been called 'Starry, Starry Night' but that's just me). I've found slightly better version here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trl2HrKVLtg

To play out its 'Nut Rocker' by B. Bumble & The Stingers who aren't in the studio for a good reason, this being the fact the record was first released in 1962 and the group were no more by the time of this show, quite why this (and other records like 'Lets Dance') were popular again I'm not sure, Nut Rocker is featured several times as crowd dancing sections, this one with the end credits. Its a catchy record of course, as Ed informs its based on a melody by Tchaikovsky and the crowd seem to enjoy it, and we also get some odd tilted camera shots. So a random show from 1972 missing the glam element at the start of course, but on the whole quite good, I'll give the favourite to Don but in terms of studio performances easily the New Seekers.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Everything'sRosie
I've just watched this. Shame there was no Sweet or Glitter, and a big chunk of the Presley song was missing too, but I wasn't bothered about that one.

I will write a review later.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Everything'sRosie
A little disappointing, as arguably the best two records on the show have been lost, and not even a chart rundown. Top Of The Pops without a chart rundown, (affects American brat persona) "Now I've seen everything!"

So here goes.

Elvis Presley - American Trilogy  "The King" had long lost his rockabilly rebelliousness by this time and had become as mainstream as its possible to get. A rousing tune for many, no doubt. Though only the last minute or so survives here. And the accompanying film looks like one of those notorious BBC productions.

Argent - Tragedy All rather forgettable, I'm afraid. I like the sound of that organ though. Rodriguez Argentina gives it his all in his shades, but this is a tune in a desperate search of a memorable hook.

Free - Little Bit Of Love Generic rock like the track before. What's far more interesting is the Pans routine. Very enjoyable, and similar outfits to the legendary Legs routine for Stars On 45 a few years later. Even some of the moves are the same.

New Seekers - Circles The rather introspective follow-up to the bouncy Beg Steal Or Borrow. Sort of like a watered down Fairport Convention. Peter Doyle even has some facial hair. Good song, though a tad repetitive.

Dana - Crossword Puzzle Highlight of the show for me. Not. It's dreadful. One of those songs that is nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is. Some truly lamentable lyrics. Stewpot tries to rouse the watching millions to go out and buy it, but they ain't listenin'.

The Move - California Man The later days of The Move before the split into Wizzard and ELO. Lynne really makes his presence felt on this one. A bit tired tbh, but both Lynne and Wood knew how to produce a hit in their own inimitable style, as both would go on to prove.

Don McLean - Vincent  Not much to say on this one. I've always found it interminably dull. But the audience seem transfixed (or bored), apart from the one who appears to be knitting, of course. When it comes to No.1 records about artists, give me Brian & Michael any day.

...and to finish

B. Bumble & The Stingers - Nutrocker A re-release from the 60s for the audience to dance to. Stewpot fluffs his lines and tries to make-up for it with a silly voice.

Once again, thanks for the upload, Mikey. Shame The Sweet and Glitter got chopped off, but at least most of the edition survives. I found Ed Stewart to be a nervous host. He was much better on the radio.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
You nearly had me with that Dana 'highlight' comment ER

Hopefully some more people can watch/comment on this one, its only 26 minutes long.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Hanway2
  I will be watching and reviewing shortly, after I have completed another few Pan's reviews, for anyone interested.
 I don't need any motivation, for a 1972 TOTPs, but a very nice picture, or someone or someones we like would never go amiss. If you know what I mean!

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
Not much to go on in this period Hanway, but how about this?

Not sure if you like the New Seekers but there is a good copy here of a performance of Circles and two other songs (although it does not state which show it is from or when it was shown ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHWIGsdbqug

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Hanway2
 Thanks for the picture and the link, Mikey. Yes I do like The New Seekers, and both Eve  and Lyn.
Was that Barry Crocker introducing them? So, could have been an Australian show, if it was.
Remember, Pan’s danced to him with the song ‘Nothing Can Stop Me Now’.  A Night Club performance I think.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
Yes, good call on Barry Crocker, so its probably this show from August 12th 1972, just 5 days before the nightclub performance with Pans although that was probably recorded some time earlier as Flick was still there.

https://www.aveleyman.com/TVEpisode.aspx?FilmID=2223&Episode=19720812

GJB

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

GJB
The programme in question is called Saturday Variety TX 12/08/72 recorded at ATV Elstree.

The New Seekers
Joe Henderson
Larry Grayson
Penny Lane
Larry Parker

Saturday Variety had special guest presenters (Jimmy Tarbuck, Val Doonican, Barry Crocker (who also hosted the Pans edition of Night Club on BBC 2) Rolf Harris etc etc.

1st located by me in January this year and info/screenshots passed on to the New Seekers Manager, who didn't know of it's existance until I told him.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

         We know how badly Top Of The Pops was treated by the BBC. The wanton destruction of most of 1972, in particular, is one of their heinous crimes. We know also why they did it, which does not make it any more forgivable. Reading up a little on the ‘Cherry Tape’ on the Forum indicates how much Flick distrusted and did not forgive the Corporation, with regard to the wiping of so many of Pan’s People routines. And it is apparent that we should feel the same, for the whole programme, from 1964 to 1978, or whenever it was the BBC took preservation seriously. Of course, this is like crying over spilt milk, we cannot change anything now. But it should still make you angry, it certainly does to me. To create glorious programmes with the right hand, and destroy them with the left. The barbarism shown to the cultural heritage of the ‘young’ of the time.
   Somehow, in some way an edition for 22nd June 1972 has survived, in an incomplete and low quality form, with no thanks to the BBC. There is probably an account on why that was somewhere around, so I will not repeat that information here. But let us enjoy the programme, as best we can. The quintessential introductory music begins, but, oh boy, this is less than Master Tape quality, it is hard to make out some of the familiar images, although they produce better, in reduced size than full screen, I feel. We reach the counting down numbers and the titles moving in from all four directions. The show has begun, and so it has.
  The show did begin, but we cannot see it. For various reasons the first two tracks for ‘Little Willy’ by The Sweet, and the chart rundown and audience participation and the next track ‘Rock and Roll ( Part 2 )’ by Gary Glitter are not to be found here. Two early examples from these artistes of their Glam Rock sound, which will fill the charts for the next two years or so, are missing. A loss, no doubt, for those who would have liked to have seen these pieces. And another chance to shake a fist at the wiping diktats of the Broadcasting Auntie. There being no chart run down, we don’t know who is number one. Well, we do, but not from this. We are not able to see these opening acts, so we must move on to the next.
  And we cannot see much of that either. Only the very last part of ‘An American Trilogy’ by Elvis Presley, a trio of old songs put together by composer Mickey Newbury, is available to us, in the way of a film insert. Mickey also had a minor hit with the medley, reaching 42 about the same time as Elvis’ reworked version. Whenever there are filmed pieces like these there is the chance to speculate who commissioned the work. A proper record company production? Or one of the homegrown BBC efforts? I would be very surprised if it was not the latter. Certainly, I would have liked to have seen more of the film, if it still existed in the entirety. It does cast a sombre mood to go with the mournfulness of the ‘All My Trials’ lyric, and the instrumentation for ‘Dixie’ and repeat of ‘Glory, Glory Hallelujah’. How accurate were the costumes and depiction portrayed? Probably nothing like it if the BBC, or even RCA, were involved. The American Civil War has been romanticised since the day after it ended, and the song of three parts is part of that. But it makes a good song, does it not? And when Elvis sings with such feeling, who can say anything against it. Does the full film still exist, I ask again? And filmed where and with whom? Actors, enthusiasts, old soldiers and a camp follower? I can think too much about this, if I try. But the question remains, are we in the Land of Cotton or in a quarry in Surrey, as the army disappear over the hillside?
  It’s Ed Stewart! Our presenter ‘Stewpot’, amid a group of young ladies, a popular pose from the host in those days. He does seem rather diffident in his presentation at times, which appears a trait from the presenters at the time, as I feel both Tony Blackburn and Jimmy Savile were similar in their way, perhaps still uncomfortable being the main host on Television. I would reckon David Jacob and Alan Freeman were not like that in the 60s. He introduces the first full track we can get to watch on this, ‘Tragedy’ by Argent. A great title and theme for a hit single, as we know. But not this one! A follow up to their bigger and better number ‘Hold Your Head Up’, and only puffing and panting up to 34 in the charts. But no tragedy there as it did not deserve much higher. A very forgettable rock song, in fact, but it is always a pleasure to see performances from this period with the audience dancing enthusiastically, as here. Of some of the more interesting specimens I hope to see again, later in the show. Although, Argent seem to give it their best, it does not light any fires, a dull, leaden and uninspiring song I feel. There were better bands around, or better tracks from Argent, no doubt, which they could have released as a single. And no more predictions please Ed, you put the kiss of death on the track. A hit if you ever heard one, fortunately not. Never mind, let us move on swiftly.
  I am very glad to move on, as the next track is from a better band, and why I am here, and you are too, I reckon. Yes, I will come closer, a lot closer. For it is Pan’s People, dancing to ‘Little Bit Of Love’ by Free. Whether we have seen them like this before or not is of no matter. The moment we are gifted a close up of Louise, looking heavenly and towards us, the next few minutes will be a guaranteed pleasure. I know it and hope you do too. They all look fantastic in the cropped tops, bikini bottoms- with a belt of hanging attachments, and silver boots. Very glamorous, very sexy and very enticing. Why would I want to say no? The five members move about the stage stylishly and seductively, and this is a lovely routine to watch and one that I have reviewed more fully elsewhere on the Forum. Awarded by me a 10 out of 10, and Louise as my favourite, you can guess that I like this number a lot. And I see no reason to change my opinion watching this again in context of the programme.  I shall not add much more here, apart from saying that Ruth goes missing once or twice, or most likely doing something spectacular but not caught on camera. But I am mightily and hugely impressed and impassioned by her shimmy and facial expression to the front of the line at 08.34 in the film. Yes, yes, yes!! A bit nice is an understatement Ed, and if you were feeling hot under the collar, then so am I!! What have you to cool me down?
  The New Seekers, and some more of my favourites from the 70s. Obviously Lyn Paul and Eve Graham were the centre of my, and of many others, attention back in the day. The darker Eve especially. But they were a very talented group of artists and singers and one to be relied upon to provide good songs and great performances. Slightly more centred towards the Light Entertainment market than others I liked, but still a warm favourite with me. And a group seen very often on the Television those warm, sunny far away days. To be fair, ‘Circles’ would not be one of my most favoured songs from the group, who seemed to keep American singer/songwriter Melanie in royalty payments back then. But it is a very pleasant listen- and watch. Always very presentable, and Eve and Lyn look very fetching in their outfits. A boy should not disagree with his mother, and I will always remember something she said about Eve. Something less than complimentary, to which I disagreed most strongly! An enjoyable showing by the band, with the crowd dancing around them. Really, I am liking this more, as I watch a few times for review purposes, and am pleased it made number 4 for them. The audience participation, some even mouthing the lyrics, re-emphasises for me the importance of them at this stage of Top Of The Pops. And I very much liked the different styles of dancing by the crowd, different tempos and moves. Have fun people, you will only be young once!
   Back to Ed Stewart, who seems to have found one very adoring young lady. Luck old Ed, I say! Or perhaps she is a Dentist and examining his incisors, closely. Moving on to Dana. Oh dear, what were you thinking, Dana? Without a proper hit for well over a year, ‘Crossword Puzzle’ was an unlikely choice to change that run of misfortune. In fact it is quite awful, and the public got it right this time and agreed not to buy it. The best part of the song is the start with a few ‘Aaaaahs’ as the lyrics, but then quickly hurtles over a precipice. And is gone beyond hope. Dana would resurface with better songs later in the decade, but I think we should rapidly put this behind us. Dana still looked good though, if the shallow me can pass a stance on the matter. I shall watch with the sound off.
  Now it is time for The Move, or is it E.L.O- or Wizzard? Sounding very much like Wizzard more than anyone else. And it is a surrogate Wizzard, with The Move about to disintegrate, and Electric Light Orchestra waiting in the wings, Roy Wood jumped ship to form his rock and roll revival band, as they were at the very beginning. ‘California Man’ shows Mr. Wood’s ability to rustle up a good tune whenever he wants or needs to. With Jeff Lynne on lead vocals, with Roy on support and saxophone and the rest of the company giving it their best ‘feel good’ style, this is quite a good performance without being totally special. With the number 1 locomotive watching on high, as it has for most of the performances, and the crowd bopping away enthusiastically it is a good showing and one of the highlights of the day, I think. The picture breaks a few times towards the end of the number, without spoiling the effect very much. Am I glad it did not do that during the Pan’s People routine? You bet!!
  Was a soon to be 12 year old boy watching this edition in London? He may have been, probably very likely to have been, but cannot remember exactly. But he can remember very well the song ‘Vincent’ by Don McLean, or ‘Starry, Starry Night’ as he thought it was called back nearly half a century ago. Do you believe that Don Mclean really was that ladies’ favourite singer, or was she put up to say it? No, I reckon she was his top British fan, come in specially for the day! ‘Vincent’, a slow and thoughtful song, and showing the variety of what could get to the top of the charts back in those days. Taking over the number one spot for the first of two weeks, and we have a film of Don in concert somewhere. Where? I do not know, but to hazard a guess a University Hall in the United States seems a very possible location. Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea, if you want to get up, show your moves or leap about wildly like a demented ‘Imp of Spring’. No sir or madam, for this one please sit quietly and reflect upon a World that was not meant for one as beautiful as you, or that Vincent Van Gogh fellow, whoever appeals to you more. What artist would not want such an audience as attentive as this, even watching you while knitting and not dropping a stitch? Don McLean when he could still sing, and play in tune, but that is a story for another day!
  It is Master Mind for the audience, and fortunately the lady gets the easy question right. Good for her, she seems relieved. But no follow up questions, Ed. No follow up questions. No.. Damn you Ed, you’re not listening! Sadly, this truncated show has come to the end, and we leave with B. Bumble and The Stingers and ‘Nut Rocker’, a.k.a Tchaikovsky’s ‘The Nutcracker’. A re-release from 1962 back in the charts, and our play out track for credits and audience recognition. Goodbye to our little trip back to June 1972, a mere 47 years ago. As a play out, it allows the crowd to let off steam and bounce about, after the confines of Vincent, was anyone dancing to that unseen by us. Although not of great quality, as noted, it is good to see them having fun, some more noteworthy than others. We could all pick a favourite, I could certainly pick mine. There go Pan’s People, all anonymous apart from our Heroine Choreographer Flick. Oh Look! There is a man doing the ‘Mud’ dance in 1972. I don’t know if Mud were even doing the ‘Mud’ dance in 1972. Was that a popular style up and down the country then, I certainly cannot remember? As you may have noticed, I like watching the audience dancing in this early 70s period. It is one of the main features of the show at the time. A show for everyone, whoever you were, and you could go, take part, show off your latest fashion, be seen by millions and have a lot of fun. Nobody would be judging you almost 50 years into the future. That could not possibly happen, could it? No it couldn’t, not critically anyway.
  What do I make of this show from 1972. Debased and deflowered as it is, mostly I have enjoyed it. The quality is clearly poor, and missing some vital elements which could have perked it up a bit more. But very little of mediocrity, apart from- well I am looking at Dana here. Or was it Argent, or both? Ed Stewart seems a hesitant presenter at times, and I am sure he could be better. Did he? Ignoring Pan’s People, which would have been my high light by a country mile, I am wondering which to pick for the ‘Best In Show’. As it is an undeniable pleasure to see Eve and Lyn and the boys, I shall pick ‘Circles’ by The New Seekers as my pick of the day. I am sure the 11 year old watching on would agree. With their folky-pop they were a big part of many an evening’s entertainment in the 70s. And I could spend many a happy hour watching Eve Graham. And with the wonder of YouTube, I still can. And I think I will. See you later!!

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
Thanks ER and Hanway for your comments, looks like Dana is getting the big thumbs down so far. I'm becoming quite fond of Circles it was even played on pick of the pops recently.

Would be nice for some more comments on this show, good, bad or otherwise.

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Can't say i was to impressed by this one Mikey. I struggled to peer through the sepia hue and to be honest found it a bit of a chore to watch. Well you did ask for good, bad or otherwise !

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Mikey
Better late than never here are a few clips that seem to be a slightly better copy although the colours are still a bit weird (and no Pans People but we do have Dana).

Argent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6olbDstcNk

New Seekers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQY6AkgyIqA

Dana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9eqz1y8w0

Re: 22-6-72 With Ed Stewart

Sorry this one bombed for you Ryan, I didn't pick it, it was a democratic vote