31. Probable 1970 routine.

New discovered picture probably from 1970

Available evidence:

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Mikey
Heres the Beach Boys pic from 19-11-70

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

   Seeing this picture marked as Unidentified or Lost Routine number 31 makes me wonder if this could have been a routine for the song ‘Patches’ by Clarence Carter. Admittedly, I have no proof of any kind to support this suggestion apart from the dance and single being of about the same time, and the costumes look ideal for such a number- Patches. This is not listed as a known but lost routine by the group, but we know that some are missing, perhaps this one.
     The song ‘Patches’ by U.S. artist Clarence Carter entered the charts on 10 October 1970 and stayed there for 13 weeks, reaching as high as number 2. And the design of the set behind Pan’s People is from about this period, as corroborated by the picture of the Beach Boys on 19th November 1970. ( Pan’s are listed as having danced to Cracklin’ Rosie on that day, so that is another distinct possibility ). The Television and Radio Database lists Patches as being performed on the 22nd October as an original performance, and as a repeat on the 12th November- on which day Pan’s performed to Voodoo Chile by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Presumably this means by the actual artist. But, clearly, Patches was an example of the type of song of which would meet the usual criteria for a Pan’s People routine- a U.S artist who may not necessarily come over to record on TOTPs, or have had a promotional film available. Of course, Clarence Carter could have made it to the studio to record TOTPs that October, as the database suggests, but interestingly enough no Pan’s routine is listed for that day- the 22nd October 1970. ( The database does give One For The Dads as one of the sources for the list). Obviously, if there was a dance on the 22nd October there are a number of other candidates from that programme listed on the TVRDb including The Four Tops with ‘Still Water’ and Creedence Clearwater Revival and ‘Bayou Country’. Or there is even the possibility that Pan’s did a routine in support of Clarence Carter as an accompaniment to the artist.
     I repeat that this is a mere suggestion with little hard evidence to back it up, but if anyone would like to comment, or even conclusively disprove the idea, I would be very happy to hear from them. Hopefully, one day we will be able to work out this and other stray pictures that have no allegiance to routines so far.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Mikey
Clarence Carder did perform in the studio, shown here 22-10-70. The set looks similar to the previous week (They Long To Be, Close To You) although the side angle is not all that helpful.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Diary-tp4125198p4125726.html

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Mikey
Just noticed something a bit strange

22-10-70
(16) EDWIN STARR – War  (crowd dancing)

29-10-70
(15) EDWIN STARR – War  (danced to by Pan’s People)

Surely they couldn't have played it 2 weeks in succession when it only climbed one place.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

   Thanks for clearing that up, Mikey. Therefore, could the picture be for the other alternative  'Cracklin' Rosie' I wonder?

But not impossible. The dance would have been give to Pan’s before the chart was known,  no doubt on the expectation of it climbing higher.

The BBC database says so. And so far that's all we know. War had been a new entry in the Top 50 at No. 16, so I guess the BBC assumed that it would be a big climber again the following week, and - knowing that Edwin Starr wouldn't come into the TOTP studio - Pan's People were asked to rehearse a routine. When it only crawled to No. 15, they simply decided to show the routine nonetheless instead of rehearsing a completely new one.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Mikey wrote
Clarence Carder did perform in the studio, shown here 22-10-70. The set looks similar to the previous week (They Long To Be, Close To You) although the side angle is not all that helpful.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Diary-tp4125198p4125726.html
Ah thanks Mikey, somehow I had a feeling that there was a pic of CC performing Patches somewhere on this site, but I couldn't remember where it was.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Hanway2 wrote
Or there is even the possibility that Pan’s did a routine in support of Clarence Carter as an accompaniment to the artist.
I like that idea. Unfortunately there is no definite way to find out unless a recording wondrously turns up.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

  I should have mentioned earlier that, apart from thanking Mikey for correcting my posting about this routine, also for Pointing me in the right direction to other threads that had relevance to Patches, and for signalling the right place on the Pan’s People Diary for the 22nd October 1970, and the picture of Clarence himself performing the song in the TOTPs studio.
Thank you once again, Mikey and also to Vin for the Diary as well, and the discussion there about what might have been performed by Pan’s, or not, that very day.

Re: 31. Probable 1970 routine.

Mikey
No probs Hanway, i'm still leaning toward Cracklin Rosie being the correct dance for the picture, the main stage set (used by Pans) was changed each week in 1970 so unless the Beach Boys pre-recorded it an earlier week, then the matching set should be the correct week.

With regards to 'War' i thought the TOTP rules stipulated a record couldn't be played in successive weeks unless it was number 1, although i know there are incidences where this rule was not followed, so guess this could be one of those.