4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

 4-10-74:   Presenter:  Jimmy Savile

(NEW) PILOT – Magic
(6) PETER SHELLEY – Gee Baby
(28) THE TYMES – You Little Trustmaker  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(NEW) DAVID ESSEX – Gonna Make You A Star
(NEW) THE WOMBLES – Minuetto Allegretto
(8) ANDY KIM – Rock Me Gently
(NEW) ROXY MUSIC – All I Want Is You
(29) PAUL ANKA – (You’re) Having My Baby  (video)
(NEW) THE DRIFTERS – Down On The Beach Tonight
(17) DAVID BOWIE – Knock On Wood  (video)
(NEW) ADAM FAITH – I Survived
(18) ANDY FAIRWEATHER-LOW – Reggae Tune
(1) CARL DOUGLAS – Kung Fu Fighting
(27) ROD STEWART – Farewell  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

I couldn't see a Google drive version so here is a Youtube version instead (with the wrong date but its the right edition).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JUmCbuAwM

Its the 4th October 1974 (oh no it isn't!), ok, ok, lets just pretend for 40 minutes that it is eh. I confess late 1974 is not a musical period I am too familiar with and this was actually the first time watching this one in full, not that my expectations were that high looking at who was on it. I guess by now glam rock is fading fast and this was a very male dominated show particularly for solo acts. Jimmy is this weeks host (and is as random as ever), but is there anything decent on here at all, lets cross our fingers, press play and find out...

Pilot – Ok, now this is a promising start. Catchy, almost 'sing along' track. Not the most glam looking bunch of lads though and I'm not sure about the lava lamp effects either, hope we don't see them again, the effects that is not Pilot. 8/10

Peter Shelley – Never heard of this, but isn't that part of the fun watching these shows to find undiscovered gems?, well sadly this wasn't one of them. Not bad, but not great either. 5/10

The Tymes – No sign of The Tymes (boom boom!), so its Pan's People time instead (bit early isn't it?), now I have seen this once or twice, or maybe fifty times. This is what TV was invented for IMO. Never knew this track prior to watching these old TOTPs, and it is really quite uplifting and lively, and somehow elevates the dance as well, even if there is an excessive amount of doobie doobie-ing in the lyrics. Overall though, fab. 10/10

David Essex – David very popular with the ladies apparently, and probably an acquired taste for the blokes, but I can't lie I do actually like this one, damn you David!. Is this who Paul Nicholas was trying to be? 7/10

The Wombles - Still skiving from litter picking on Wimbledon Common to appear in the studio again, although this is a bit desperate, clearly milking the Wombles cash cow until it falls over, well in fact one of the furry gits did fall over at the end. Its almost like a bit of shameless BBC self promotion. The trail of Wombles records is far from over, you have been warned!. 4/10

Andy Kim - another I know and really like, the best so far (apart from PP but thats a given). More dodgy lava lamp effects and the backing singers were a bit too noticeable at times, a minor quibble i guess. 8/10

Roxy Music – Whoa Roxy rock!, heavy stuff here from Roxy without drowning out Bryans unique vocals, what a cool guy he is, even in this casual guise. I'm slightly jealous. Track is ok, nice to have something with a bit of edge now and again. 8/10

Paul Anka – what an unfortunate surname. After the last track this grainy video is a bit of a comedown, with some sub Elton piano tinkering (shades of Daniel in there I think). 4/10

The Drifters – I swear these American soul groups were having some sort of one-upmanship contest on who can wear the most ridiculous suits, these bogey green monstrosities would be hot contenders. Track is generic soul balladry, The Drifters could and did do much better, but at least they made it to the studio. 6/10

David Bowie – I had no idea David had recorded this, clearly not one of his best, it barely even sounds like him. Its one of those 'excellent' BBC home movies to accompany the song and we get to see a bit of 70s London in all its grimyness. Is this what its like being a stalker? as we follow some young model around London doing nothing particularly interesting (although the little monkeys were cute) and none of it has any relevance to the song, so a bit of eye candy then for 'de lads' then, nothing wrong with that I conclude. Sorry David this one was a bit pointless. 6/10

Adam Faith – yet another live male solo, Adam looks a bit perplexed as to what he is doing here, a man out of his time no doubt (his last appearance was in January 1967) and despite the fact he is a good singer, this record didn't chart. 5/10

Andy Fairweather-Low (and a few friends) – We've got reggae, we've got reggae...oh its not that one its another reggae tune called er Reggae Tune. Doesn't sound much like reggae to me, not a fan of this despite the funky guitar throughout, probably not a gem, or even a slightly shiny pebble. 5/10

Carl Douglas (and a fu friends) – now for the main event, the number one, the crème de la crème. Has someone spilled Carls pint?, he's all fired up and ready to hit someone, is Adam Faith cowering in the corner somewhere?. I wasn't around then but I imagine if Kung Fu was the new movie genre on the block thanks to Bruce Lee and the like then that would explain the popularity of this Chinese themed novelty hit. Its all good clean fun of course, you'd have to be a miserable so and so not to like it even for its sillyness. I don't mean to be picky for fear Carl may chop suey my head but surely a room full of kung-fu fighters might be more than a little bit frightening. I liked the 2 guys using their expert timing to do some mock fu fighting, all in all an excellent number one. Carls follow up barely a month later was called Dance the Kung Fu, which sounds dangerous to me, glad Pan's avoided that one. 9/10

Rod Stewart – so we end the show with the appropriately titled Farewell, but not really one for the audience to dance to or a particularly memorable Rod tune sadly, a bit of a downer we wanted something fun, gee thanks for nothing Rod. 4/10

So as usual a mixed bag but better than expected, no big surprises in the best songs are the most well known I'll give my Gold star to Pan's (you don't say!), Silver to Andy Kim and Bronze a tie with Pilot, Dave Essex, Roxy and Kung Fu Carl and they can scrap it out from there.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for putting another show up, Mikey. I shall give this one a good look early this week. Some interesting content, methinks.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Mikey
Excellent, i was beginning to wonder if anyone was interested in this one. I was planning to do another this week, but it may have to wait a bit.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Mikey
By the way if anyone wonders about the Einsfestival logo, i found this list of when they were shown on that channel, back in 2009!, i never knew these copies were quite that old. Good that someone had the foresight to record them as its never been reshown on the BBC of course.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1029098/top-of-the-pops-on-eins-festival

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

 I am still hoping to find the time to review this and the earlier TOTPS from 1980. I will be briefer than before, to get any review completed in a day or so.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Mikey
Ok Hanway, how about a motivational picture?

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

TOTP in this era felt very pure. No stopping for breakers or chart rundowns, just 40 minutes of music and occasionally creepy moments from the host.
This particular show starts off well and gets worse as we go along until we get to the chart topper.
I like the Pilot song, then it's on to Gee Baby which sounds more like a 1950's song, which is probably because it was.
I have probably heard You Little Trustmaker more in the last 5 years since I discovered the PP routine than in the previous 40 years. Good song, great dance.
We move on to David Essex and what was in my opinion his best song.
I hope any kids watching weren't too alarmed when Great Uncle Bulgaria collapsed at the end. I'm surprised the Wombles aren't around these days with so much focus on the environment and recycling. Minuetto Allegretto was okay.
I am familiar with Rock Me Gently but much less so with Andy Kim. Quite a good song.
The Roxy Music song was okay but I wouldn't rush out to buy it.
Having My Baby is a song that I like but haven't heard for quite some time.
On to The Drifters and it is another song that I don't mind but it is not anything special.
I have never heard this version of Knock On Wood before. It is not a patch on Amii Stewart's version or indeed Eddie Floyd's original.
I have also never heard this Adam Faith song and wouldn't be concerned if I never hear it again.
I don't know Reggae Tune either. It's not really to my taste.
With the show plummeting downhill rapidly we get a sudden pick-me-up from Kung Fu Fighting. If we were doing a poll this would get my vote.
We end with a mediocre song from Rod Stewart.
Not a bad show but far from being a classic.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Thanks for bringing this to us Mikey. Arguably the golden age of TOTPs around this time.

PILOT – Magic - Much prefer this to their 1975 number 1, far catchier. How many ways to wear a scarf ! My mind wanders to Legs & Co, Mighty Power Of Love.   I wonder if this song was Paul Danials favourite song! 8.5 out of 10.

PETER SHELLEY – Gee Baby - Bit dreary, but i like the chaps shirt. Ruby Flipper menswear in a couple of years. 5 out of 10.

THE TYMES – You Little Trustmaker  (danced to by Pan’s People)  - Wonderful dance routine, certainly in my top 3 of Pans. 10 out of 10.

DAVID ESSEX – Gonna Make You A Star Was this the best thing on the show ? Altogether now (I DON'T THINK SO). But id say its the second best after the dance routine. 9 out of 10.

THE WOMBLES – Minuetto Allegretto - What was it that these creatures used to clear up ? Ah yeah, rubbish. Need i say more. 2 out of 10.

ANDY KIM – Rock Me Gently - Harmless middle of the road fodder. Bit of a foot tapper, so i will give it 7 out of 10.

ROXY MUSIC – All I Want Is You - Hmm, im one of those strange folk who preferred later Roxy, but i can still appreciate the earlier work. Good rocking sound, im at 8 out of 10.

PAUL ANKA – (You’re) Having My Baby - Not my kinda thing at all, but good luck with birth Paul. 3 out of 10.

THE DRIFTERS – Down On The Beach Tonight - One of those bands that every record sounded the same. Sort of record my mum and dad would have liked, though i will give it a miss. 5.5 out of 10.

DAVID BOWIE – Knock On Wood - Ive never seen that promo film before, and i found it complemented the track well. Attractive girl, anyone notice the young lad in the market check her backside out ! Bowie nailed the cover so well. 8.75 out of 10.

ADAM FAITH – I Survived  - Pub singer sort of thing. Maybe time to stick to acting Adam. 4 out of 10.

ANDY FAIRWEATHER-LOW – Reggae Tune - Not Reggae. 3 out of 10.

CARL DOUGLAS – Kung Fu Fighting - Everyone had a pair of Kung Fu Pyjamas around this time, yes even me. Not a bad song thats nice to hear every now and again, say once or twice a decade. 7.5 out of 10.

ROD STEWART – Farewell  (crowd dancing)  (and credits) - Never a fan of this bloke. Most defiantly put off him by his pretending to be Scottish. Nothing against our Scottish friends, but i can't stick him. 1 out of 10
`Nurse Of The Year`  - 10 out of 10.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

(NEW) PILOT – Magic
Always liked the song, I was surprised when it made No. 5 in the US the following year. To me, Pilot were the somewhat rockier version of the Bay City Rollers. Probably no surprise when you consider that the lead singer once was a member of the BCR (before they got famous). Regrettably Ian Bairnson doesn't play his famous double neck guitar in this performance! 8 / 10

(6) PETER SHELLEY – Gee Baby
This was the guy who had recorded "My Coo Ca Choo" at the end of the preceding year which was marketed under the name "Alvin Stardust" (and mimed to by a certain Shane Fenton who then decided to start a new recording career as Alvin S.). At the time it sounded like a record that my mum could have liked, but nowadays I confess this to be a guilty pleasure of mine. 7 / 10

(28) THE TYMES – You Little Trustmaker  (danced to by Pan’s People)
The song is actually just about OK, but the routine is of course classic Pan's and so deserves 10 / 10.

(NEW) DAVID ESSEX – Gonna Make You A Star
I like a couple of David's songs but this is not a favourite of mine. I never understood why it was such a big hit. Even worse, most of his 'live' renditions sound rather off-key. This is no exception. 5 / 10

(NEW) THE WOMBLES – Minuetto Allegretto
The formula was definitely wearing thin by now, but at least the music was a bit different here. Classic Wombles so to speak.  6 / 10

(8) ANDY KIM – Rock Me Gently
Good song, and deservedly a comeback for Andy. Alas, he was never heard of again. 7 / 10

(NEW) ROXY MUSIC – All I Want Is You
Love that one. Early Roxy at their best. Not a boring ballad but a good rocking number with a nice guitar solo. Proof that a great song doesn't need to be longer than 3 mins. Bryan Ferry was one of the coolest frontmen at the time. 9 /10

(29) PAUL ANKA – (You’re) Having My Baby  (video)
Err, no. Misogynistic and arrogant. And a ghastly video. 3 / 10

(NEW) THE DRIFTERS – Down On The Beach Tonight
Just their usual chart fodder, nothing special. Every song they recorded seemed to be addressed at a 'little girl'. But nice suits. 5 / 10

(17) DAVID BOWIE – Knock On Wood  (video)
Bowie was going through a strange period, definitely not his most creative. This live version sounds rather strained. Sorry, I have to clear my throat. The video was probably the best thing about it. 6 / 10

(NEW) ADAM FAITH – I Survived
Instantly forgettable. What was it called? 4 / 10

(18) ANDY FAIRWEATHER-LOW – Reggae Tune
Ha! It may not be reggae, but I love it (to be fair, it does sound a bit like reggae). Andy Fairweather Low is one of those underappreciated artists who never got the recognition he deserved. Maybe his low-key stage presence was a factor... 9 / 10

(1) CARL DOUGLAS – Kung Fu Fighting
There were funky china men from funky china town, they were chopping them up, they were chopping them down.... The Nobel Prize for Literature was definitely never in consideration for this record - but hey it was 1974, the year of Billy Don't Be A Hero, Seasons In The Sun and The Streak, so why not Kung Fu Fighting?
Ok I'll admit it, the song is catchy and Carl was not a bad singer. 6 / 10

(27) ROD STEWART – Farewell  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)
Not one of his best but not too bad either. I like the acoustic style of this record, even though it's not really one of his sing-a-long songs.  6 / 10

Best song and performance (excluding Pan's People): Roxy Music

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Arlo
This post was updated on .
It was fun to see a full length TOTP, as my experience with PP/Legs has been confined to video clips.

As I was watching this, I thought about the true American counterpart to TOTP, which was American Bandstand (hosted by "America's Oldest Teenager" Dick Clark).  Bandstand was still in its heyday in 1974, and what struck me was how the pace of the shows differed.

Let's say Pilot was leading off Bandstand as they did here.  Once he said hello to all of us, Dick would have leisurely introduced Pilot.  After they lip synced to Magic, Dick would wander over to chat with the fellas, and we would be introduced to each of them.  Not on TOTP.  Introduction, performance, on to the next act.

(NEW) PILOT – Magic
Pilot was a one hit wonder in the U.S.  The song is fine, and they seem genuinely happy to be on the show.  8/10

(6) PETER SHELLEY – Gee Baby
Innocuous pop, 7/10.

(28) THE TYMES – You Little Trustmaker  (danced to by Pan’s People)
One of the lesser American R&B acts, but one of my favorite PP routines.  10/10

(NEW) DAVID ESSEX – Gonna Make You A Star
Seems OK, but everyone here knew Essex for Rock On, where we would all shout "James Dean" at the appropriate spot.  6/10

(NEW) THE WOMBLES – Minuetto Allegretto
Mike Batt has had quite the interesting career (the Wombles, Pan's People, working with Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc.).

I was checking email and Twitter while this was on.  3/10

(8) ANDY KIM – Rock Me Gently
Kim and the Ramones both had great covers of the Ronettes classic Baby I Love You.

Rock Me Gently was a nice comeback song for Andy.   8/10

(NEW) ROXY MUSIC – All I Want Is You
I prefer the later Roxy stuff, but not a bad song.  I kept trying to figure out if Bryan Ferry was wearing a watch.  8/10

(29) PAUL ANKA – (You’re) Having My Baby  (video)
Awful then, awful now.  0/10

(NEW) THE DRIFTERS – Down On The Beach Tonight
This is definitely not the classic Drifters of the early 60s who are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Still, they display a fine suit game.  5/10

(17) DAVID BOWIE – Knock On Wood  (video)
Meh song, interesting video. 5/10

(NEW) ADAM FAITH – I Survived
See Peter Shelley.

(18) ANDY FAIRWEATHER-LOW – Reggae Tune
I am distracted again.  What was the lettering on Andy’s shirt?  4/10

(1) CARL DOUGLAS – Kung Fu Fighting
CKLW was a Canadian Top 40 AM radio station located across the river from Detroit, and it had a signal that could be heard at night in the eastern third of the U.S.  They conducted a huge listener survey in 1975 to determine the 500 greatest songs of all time.  Kung Fu Fighting was number 1.  Really.  7/10

(27) ROD STEWART – Farewell  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)
Hard to tell what the crowd was doing, song was fine.   6/10

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Everything'sRosie
PILOT - Magic   Surprised to hear this was a hit in the U.S. Over here it is generally regarded as their "other" hit.

PETE SHELLEY - Gee Baby Dog-loving Pete's "other" hit.

THE TYMES - You Little Trustmaker  The song is nothing special, but the Pan's routine is phenomenal. When I hear "You Little Trustmaker" mentioned, I don't think song...I think dance. Highlight of the show.

DAVID ESSEX - Gonna Make You A Star  The teenage fillies in the audience flock to the stage, even so, some seem more interested in talking amongst themselves. These days they would be texting. Yuck. This is my favourite Essex song, though his laid back delivery was a gimmick he took a bit too far imho.

THE WOMBLES - Minuetto Allegretto  The Wombles go classical. But are the lyrics a metaphor for something else. Surely not. And stop sniggering under that mask, Batt!

ANDY KIM - Rock Me Gently A Neil Diamond wannabe, if ever I saw one. Was he ever heard of again? I don't know, which kind of answers my own question. I remember one of my older brothers liking this. Not a bad track if you like that sort of thing.

ROXY MUSIC - All I Want Is You   Eno might have gone, but his influence remains. Still channeling Virginia Plain, not that that's a bad thing. Would have been the best thing on the show but for a certain dance routine.

PAUL ANKA   Forgotten the title. Something about a baby. Dreadful, but heck, he wrote My Way so he's set up for life.

THE DRIFTERS - Down On The Beach Tonight   Didn't they make this record before...several times.

DAVID BOWIE - Knock On Wood   This Bowie fella is struggling now and having to resort to cover versions. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. The BBC vid presents us with a cool gas-pumping chick, way out West...in Tooting.

ADAM FAITH - I Survive   Was he singing live? Awful performance. Awful song.

ANDY FAIRWEATHER-LOWE  Another 60s escapee, trying his hand at, er, was that reggae?

CARL DOUGLAS - Kung Fu Fighting   I'm trying to imagine a scenario where all persons present suddenly, and instintively, decided to engage in combat using an ancient Chinese art. But Carl says it happened, so who am I to argue.

A brief mention of Sir James of Savile who appears to have no plans in letting that poor nurse he collared earlier go anywhere soon.

ROD STEWART does the play-out track. Nope, I don't remember this one either.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

The Rubberband Man
I'll have a listen to this Mikey, and see what memories it brings back.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Mikey
Thanks for the all the reviews so far, welcome to Arlo and welcome back to Vin. Seems like overall this one is well recieved despite a few duffers. I'll try and do some scores later.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Dancer
I was in hospital when this was televised so I was on the Children's Ward and there was this black and white TV above the toys room and I insisted watching TOTP.  Never a fan of Pilot at all really.  Pete Shelley's track was good.  Pans People and the Tymes were bang up there, David Essex not my thing but a good song and the girls loved him.  The Wombles I have very vivid memories of.  About 15 nurses/auxillaries with some kids dancing in a circle to this round and round.  Very vivid memory and obviously because of staffing cuts now this would never occur but it was lovely to watch.  Liked Andy Kim and Roxy Music.  Paul Anka's track was quite good, Drifters really good.  David Bowie track I was never keen on and this never seems to appear on his compilation albums.  Adam Faith I presume was big because of his TV detective show Budgie.  Andy Fairweather Low good and was not a fan of the No.1 at all.  Good track from Rod.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Dancer wrote
The Wombles I have very vivid memories of.  About 15 nurses/auxillaries with some kids dancing in a circle to this round and round.  Very vivid memory and obviously because of staffing cuts now this would never occur but it was lovely to watch.
What professionals the nurses we're back in the 70's'. Slogging through an 18 hour shift and still having the energy to dance to the Wombles. Its the sort of thing that made our NHS the envy of the world !

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Arlo

What professionals the nurses we're back in the 70's'. Slogging through an 18 hour shift and still having the energy to dance to the Wombles. Its the sort of thing that made our NHS the envy of the world !

Not to be too political, but I think a majority of Americans admire it today.  I read an article earlier this year (from CNBC) that in 2/3 of all U.S. bankruptcies, medical debt was a key contributor.   We get to deal with copays, deductibles, in network/out of network, HSAs, FSAs, HRAs, and the like.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Arlo wrote
Not to be too political, but I think a majority of Americans admire it today.  I read an article earlier this year (from CNBC) that in 2/3 of all U.S. bankruptcies, medical debt was a key contributor.   We get to deal with copays, deductibles, in network/out of network, HSAs, FSAs, HRAs, and the like.
If ya going to quote someone, please make sure their name is used like i have done in this post. Its just the polite thing to do.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

Arlo,i don't think the NHS is the envy of the world.It's been copied by no other country,it's in constant crisis especially in winter,and there are better systems in Europe and Australia where there are a good mix of state and personal insurance.If the NHS wasn't so politicised and fetishised then we might get to a point of adopting a better system,though not the American one obviously.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

SuPaLu wrote
Arlo,i don't think the NHS is the envy of the world.
Nor do i. I was being facetious in my comment to Dancer. Maybe best to keep to the subject matter of the topic.

Re: 4-10-74 With Jimmy Savile

SuPaLu wrote
Arlo,i don't think the NHS is the envy of the world.It's been copied by no other country,it's in constant crisis especially in winter,and there are better systems in Europe and Australia where there are a good mix of state and personal insurance.If the NHS wasn't so politicised and fetishised then we might get to a point of adopting a better system,though not the American one obviously.
This