4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

4-9-80:   Presenters:  Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

(45) SECRET AFFAIR – Sound Of Confusion
(3) KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love
(22) NICK STRAKER BAND – A Walk In The Park
(5) HAZEL O’CONNOR – Eighth Day  ®
(20) BILLY JOEL – It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me  (danced to by Legs & Co)
(10) CLIFF RICHARD – Dreamin’
(13) SHEENA EASTON – Modern Girl  ®
(27) THE BEAT – Best Friend (video)
(26) RANDY CRAWFORD – One Day I’ll Fly Away

TOP TEN COUNTDOWN

(10) CLIFF RICHARD – Dreamin’  (clip of TOTP 4-9-80)
(9) MIKE BERRY – The Sunshine Of Your Smile  (clip of TOTP 14-8-80)
(8) ABBA – The Winner Takes It All  (video)
(7) THE PIRANHAS – Tom Hark  (clip of TOTP 7-8-80)
(6) GARY NUMAN – I Die You Die  (video)
(5) HAZEL O’CONNOR – Eighth Day  (clip of TOTP 21-8-80)
(4) SHEENA EASTON – 9 To 5  (clip of TOTP 7-8-80)
(3) KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love  (clip of TOTP 7-8-80)
(2) DAVID BOWIE – Ashes To Ashes  (video)

(1) THE JAM – Start  (video)
(12) THE CLASH – Bankrobber  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pzDiUMcmMoiAgtzyUHZjzMV2z91wJMBZ

One of the earliest shows of the Michael Hurll era and that infamous party atmosphere is in full swing. Not. Other than the new set which may have happened anyway there a few notable changes MH introduced including the show preview, the in show countdown, the music news (not on this show though) and the 'celebrity' co host. This week the random celebrity tombola has been run and Kevin Keegan was picked, to be fair he is not too bad although only appears about half the time, so maybe MH didn't have complete faith in this aspect of the show. Suffice to say 3 of these changes bit the dust fairly quickly as did having a large part of the audience seated as if on some Saturday morning kids show. This was probably the week I started school an abiding memory of which is the teacher checking some piece of work, and then proceeding to tell me “you're supposed to put gaps between the words!”, and my reputation as a child prodigy was in tatters. Ah wasn't school fun?. Thankfully today proper sentences able to construct I am. Go here we then.....

Secret Affair, don't know this one at all, or the band, but they definitely look and sound right for that 79-80 period in their sharp suits, but this was wasn't a hit.

Kelly Marie, remember this very well, and I do like its feelgood disco pop sound, for people that probably didn't go to discos much, I wonder if Kelly was the first to bring her own dancers along.

Nick Staker Band, really like this, very catchy power pop, probably my highlight (apart from Legs of course).

Hazel OConner, pretty good really, hopefully shes not as scary as she looks (its all an act?), its no 'Will You' though which is awesome, shame I cant talk about that one.

Billy Joel, Legs & Co look fetching in those tie-dye outfits dancing to Billys throwback hit, Good fun with the odd bit of gymnastics thrown in for good measure and the all fall down ending, repeated a year later for Hold On Tight. Good song too.

Cliff Richard, he's like Ariston, he just goes on and on and on. This was his second hit of the year after the actually very good Carrie. This ones alright, the fans will be happy. Buddy Hank Marvin was also on the show.

Sheena Easton, going for chart domination by doing the old rapid follow up trick (9 to 5 still at number 4). Not as catchy as that one but a worthy follow up and she looks very nice, which is important (obviously).

The Beat, another unfamiliar track this one, not one of their better efforts it seems and as its a video it gets barely a minutes play as DLT has in important interview to do with Cliff. He obviously needs the airtime to talk about nothing, unlike what the show should be doing featuring a new and current-sounding band like The Beat, who deserve better really.

Randy Crawford, its been a year since Randy appeared on the Crusaders brilliant Street Life and here with her solo single the rather lovely One Day I'll Fly Away, DLT was obviously a big fan, this was another highlight of the show for me and I really do like it.

Top Ten Clips –  notable highlights being former number 1s from Abba (Winner Takes It All) and the brilliant Ashes to Ashes from David Bowie. I also rather like the Piranhas track.

The Jam, A more traditional stripped down effort than Going Underground but obviously this was their year and a well deserved number one, but only for one week as Kelly Marie shoved them off the top the following week with her catchy disco number, from surly to happy in a week, ah the randomness of the charts.

The Clash, blimey two well respected bands in a row. The Clash here for the brief playout with the more dub than punk Bank Robber, which I do like, well a bit, Joes vocal sounds strained but that kind of works in this context. My main thought on this was remembering Sue eating the gun 2 weeks earlier, although i'm not sure thats what The Clash would have wanted.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Hanway2
 Thank you for posting this edition of TOTPS, Mikey. I will watch and review it when I have the available time, but that may not be for a long while yet.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Mikey
No problem Hanway, dont leave it too long, there might another along soon.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Everything'sRosie
This looks a really good show. First of all a classic Legs routine. And also David Bowie, Jam, Clash and...Kevin "there's only one team gonna win this now" Keegan. Will be reviewing this shortly.

I can't get the file to play. It might be my computer, which appears to be dying a slow death. I've got another lap top which I haven't got up and running yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Mikey
There is an option to download it if you are having an issue.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

I've swapped over to another (newer) machine now, so there shouldn't be an issue. But if so, I'll let you know. Cheers.

Edit>
That's done the trick. Terrific show, I'll write my review shortly.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Everything'sRosie
I'd forgotten they introduced that preview thing. Didn't like it. Half the fun was not knowing what was coming up next. Seems the viewers agreed as it was soon stopped.

Secret Affair - Sound Of Confusion This was pretty lame. It starts off okay but then goes downhill fast. A band with a very short shelf life.

DLT and Kevin Keegan (the Gazza/David Beckham of his day) discuss redheads. Could have been awkward but Keegan's footie brain comes up with Alan Ball and saves the day.

Kelly Marie - Feels Like I'm In Love Well remembered for its gimmicky electronic drums pom-poming throughout. It's okay but I'm surprised it reached the top.

After a good start, Keegan suddenly looks like a fish out of water when introducing...
Nick Straker Band - A Walk In The Park Nick turns out to have  a perm to rival Keegan's. A lively number to keeps things going at pace.

Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day Putting a stop to the jovial atmosphere, here's comes Hazel with her apocalyptic vision of the future. Top song.

Billy Joel - It's Still Rock n' Roll To Me ...and the highlight of the show for me. Legs & Co knock it out of the park on this one. Brilliant routine. The girls look super cool in their tie-dyed frocks and beads. I was going to watch the show straight through uninterrupted. But, alas, I'm a weak man and succumbed to watching it twice.

Keegan's now having a stinker and gone missing. The crowd demand changes and so Hank Marvin comes on to shore up the defence.

Cliff Richard - Dreaming The Peter Pan of pop has dressed himself in a white suit. Too late, mate. Gene Farrow's already been there, done that, got the T-shirt etc etc

After a quiet period Keegan makes his presence felt again, and in his absence has managed to grow a trendy hipster beard.

Sheena Easton - Modern Girl Pretty laboured stuff. "Eats a tangerine, flicks through a magazine" Yes. Right. Cut mercifully short. Presumably a repeated performance.

The Beat - Best Friend Another short one. Okay, but not one of their best.

Keegan doesn't look too sure about his new strike partner, Sir Cliff of Richard.

Randy Crawford - One Day I'll Fly Away A memorable ballad very much enhanced by Randy's distinctive vocals.

We're now treated to a snippet of all the tracks from 10 to 2, culiminating with The Jam and their second Number One, a cover of Taxman. A bit mean that. Actually Start is a fine track in its own right. Probably gets overlooked a bit because of its resemblance to the Revolver track.

Another record Legs danced to to close the show, The Clash - Bankrobber.

Strange how the shows from the early 70s feel like ancient history, yet this from a few years later seems far far more recent. Why that is I don't know. Maybe the year zero maelstrom of punk/new wave/disco was so trend-setting that the sounds and fashions of the era have become the default position, and thus forever immune to dating.

And on a final note, Kevin Keegan comes across as being a thoroughly decent bloke. And that's coming from an Evertonian.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Thanks for bringing this to us Mikey. For me, as a 16/17 year old the popscene around 1979/1980 was really my thing. Im familiar with so many records around this time and watching this show back they still feel quite fresh. What i'm not so keen on is the re-branded TOTPs around this time. Packing so much into the time space allotted means many records got cut short (though i notice DLT's favourite Randy Crawford didn't appear to suffer that fate). As for the wee man Keegan, well he did okay, thats when he remembered to talk into the microphone that is.
SECRET AFFAIR – Sound Of Confusion  Very surprised others before cannot remember this band. They were Mod revivalists fronted by Ian Page and this single is their 4th release in a year. I play their albums quite a lot. Trivia about the drummer Seb Shelton. Although he played in the sharp-suited Mod band Secret Affair, some 2 years later he would be wearing scruffy denims as he became the drummer for Dexy's during their `Come On Eileen` period.
KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love  So many great sounds around in the charts, but id consider this to be the quintessential sound of the summer of 1980. It was one of those tracks that always seemed to be on. Trivia about the song - Written by Ray Dorsey and intended for Elvis to record, after his death the song was on the shelf until this Scots lassie scored her big hit with it.
NICK STRAKER BAND – A Walk In The Park  One of those songs i never play, though its a decent enough tune. Weird looking drummer, anyone notice him !
HAZEL O’CONNOR – Eighth Day I spent almost 4 decades never actually having ever watched `Breaking Glass`. I did however watch it on YouTube last year and found it quite entertaining, though very dated. As for this performance, well the ending when Hazel really goes for it is by far the best thing on the record. But of course, it was cut-off.
BILLY JOEL – It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me  (danced to by Legs & Co) - Faultless. Record wasn't to bad either.
 CLIFF RICHARD – Dreamin’ - The fella made some good sounds in 79,80. I can't really stick him after this period. Enjoyed his performance here. Though i could have done without his buddy Hank getting involved in the intro. All these folk dropping by just make it have an air of messiness.
SHEENA EASTON – Modern Girl - Sounded good at the time, but very twee these days. (always wanted to use the word twee in a sentence).
THE BEAT – Best Friend (video)  - Not a favourite Beat song of mine, well the little we saw of it. This lot were starting to lose their edge around this time and sounding more pop than Ska. More trivia. The Americans refer to them as The English Beat.
RANDY CRAWFORD – One Day I’ll Fly Away  - I can see how this may have an appeal to some, but its not my type of thing.
THE JAM – Start  (video) - Awesome band who had 6 great years in the charts. What a shame the lead singers next venture was a pile of stylish c**p !
 Good songs, terrible production, brilliant dancers, needless guests, great year.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Mikey
Thanks to ER and Ryan for their comments, which seem favorable overall on what was on offer although the format was most definitely a 'work in progress' at this stage. You needed more balloons Michael!. Would anyone else like to comment on this show, with no 1988 show this week it might make a viable alternative for anyone longing for the Legs and Co days.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

The Rubberband Man
Cringing banter at times between DLT and Kevin Keegan (and for a short while with Cliff Richard). Kevin doesn’t come across as the larger than life big personality that one would have thought he’d have, and he looks a bit uncomfortable at times with proceedings.

The show would have been better without Cliff Richard, Kelly Marie and Sheena Easton, but they are what the FF button was invented for. Unfortunately, The Beat are cut short which is a crime as, IMO, this is the best song on the show (along with the dance Legs & Co do). The #1 gets cut short too, which is a bit unnecessary as “Start” is not a long track anyway and it comes to a sudden stop at the end. I don’t see why it couldn’t have been played in its entirety. In fact the only song not to get a cut seems to be the best record DLT has heard in his life, and that’s the one from Randy Crawford.

Good play-out to end the show from a band that never got to perform on TOTPs.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

I had forgotten just how cringeworthy these guest host editions were! In fairness to Kev, he probably wasn't quite as irritating as B.A Robertson. DLT is in good form though.
On the whole this was an enjoyable show. I'm a big fan of Billy Joel so not surprisingly I find his song the pick of the bunch. To have it backed up with a very enjoyable dance from Legs & Co is an added bonus.
Not really a fan of Cliff but Dreamin is quite a good song.
Kelly Marie's song is a bit cheesy but quite catchy and I can see why it charted well.
The songs from Secret Affair, Hazel O'Connor and Sheena Easton are all good.
Best Friend by The Beat is okay as well as is Randy Crawford although perhaps because her song gets quite a lot of radio play it feels a little stale.
 I never much liked The Jam, in fact I have an allergy to Paul Weller. Some of their songs were okay but I don't particularly rate Start.
I Like Bankrobber and of course it would spawn another memorable dance.
Watching these shows just makes the current 1988 run look even worse.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

    Top Of The Pops- 4th September 1980. Having shown procrastination, been dilatory and become unwittingly delayed in concocting a review for this edition, I will now approach it with undue haste and briskness. For which I apologise to Mikey unreservedly. He has been very kind and patient waiting for me to let fly at this edition, so I shall tarry no longer, but whizz through at pace, and not even try to paper over any deficiencies in my review.  So here goes;-
  Top Of the Pops with a ‘what is on the show’ opening feature. I do not remember this at all. And would not have wanted it either, preferring to find out the acts at they were introduced- I think. You knew the number one would appear in some form, but the rest was guesswork. Were the featured acts advertised somewhere? Possibly the papers might say in advance, but I did not bother reading papers then, and I don’t think I ever knew what was to come. Therefore, an unwelcome addition for me, but at least it forewarned me about Legs and Co’s forthcoming appearance and routine. Keep your eyes peeled Hanway2, you don’t want to miss that!
  SECRET AFFAIR- SOUND OF CONFUSION:- a very good rolling tune to start the show, from a very good New Wave band, with extra points for the sax solo. With the audience moving at the foot of the stage, making this appear like a concert. A great beginning, in the terms of 1980. The track deserved higher than 45, following a smooth and controlled performance from the boys here.
  KELLY MARIE- FEELS LIKE I’M IN LOVE:- Not Kevin Keegan’s favourite redhead, or is she? This performance seemed to speed by at a rapid pace, being over quickly. Kelly looking good in her black jumpsuit and hat, with a confidant showing. But her two supporting dancers reminded me of something. A certain other show that was a popular staple of BBC Saturday night viewing in the 60s and 70s, but has long gone out of fashion, fortunately. I think it was the gloves! But let that not detract from this performance though, which I enjoyed and was a certain appeal to a young 20 year old that I was at the time.
  NICK STRAKER BAND- A WALK IN THE PARK:- Which one was Mr. Straker? I am guessing the keyboard/ vocalist but that is no guarantee. Didn’t like this quite as much as the Secret Affair, for a band performance. Even with, or possibly without, the visual special effects on the guitarist. And the drummer looked like he belonged to a different band. But it was still a pleasant enough go, and I do remember the track from back then. But I should do for all of them.
  HAZEL O’CONNOR- EIGHTH DAY:- Has Hazel been largely overlooked and forgotten when people remember the pop hits from the early 80s? It would seem to me that she has, but others can decided whether that is the case for themselves. Was this her first Top Of The Pops appearance? Yes and no. It was, but this is repeated from an earlier edition. So many would have known who she was by then. Another good performance, I feel from such a striking personage and presence as Hazel. Never saw the film Breaking Glass, so cannot judge that. But I liked this, and recall it well, and her. And the band seemed tight and together behind her. Before she seemed to disappear from view from the Pop scene. Did she go more into acting? More questions than answers.
  CHARTS 30-20:- A surprise reappearance here for Black Sabbath and Paranoid at 24, exactly 10 years after they struck the first time round. But not really a surprise as I was one who bought it. And a confession from me, I bought the Sue Wilkinson single also, here at 29, at the time and I probably still have it now, somewhere.
  LEGS AND CO.:- Clearly the high point of any Top Of The Pops from our perspective, here dancing to Billy Joel and ‘It’s Still Rock and Roll To Me’. All six members of Legs and Co. are present and looking great in what appears to be a sort of tie-dyed Native American costume, touched off with white cowboy boots. A fast paced and actioned number showing them all to good effect. The happy smiles, movements and motifs, including leap-frog, of the routine are noted and will be commented on further when the time comes for a deeper appraisal of the dance from myself. But I do like it. And Billy Joel with one of his better songs, to provide the platform for the routine.
  CHARTS 19-11:- Continued to bring such unlikely bedfellows as Elvis Presley at 17 and Village People at 11. Followed by a further ‘celeb’ in a walk on and assault on DLT from Hank Marvin. Hooray! To help introduce his old mucker Cliff Richard. Hooray again! Perhaps!!
  CLIFF RICHARD- DREAMIN’:- Our Cliff looks really happy to be here in the Top Of The Pops studio with an inoffensive and pleasant enough number, at the height of his late 70s and early resurgence. The period from 1979 to 1981 produced some of his most memorable and better numbers of his later career. Before he descended into a morass of sentimentality in his releases, from 1982 onwards. And the audience seemed happy enough to let the elderly white suited gentleman provide the entertainment. Win, win for the Cliffster.
  SHEENA EASTON- MODERN GIRL:- A short glimpse of Sheena and one of her best known hits from that purple period of her career in 1980 and 81. A voice does sound rather thin on this, and she went along way with her talent. But everyone out and about in 1980 knew of Sheena Easton and her career progression up to that point. And where would it go from here? Did we ever know? Anyway, a repeat performance here, but a few blinks and it is over and on to the next act.
  THE BEAT- BEST FRIEND:- To be frank, I think this is a disappointingly lightweight release following on from their big hits of Hands Off- She’s Mine and Mirror In The Bathroom. And it would seem the buying public agreed with me, to some extent, as this only got up to 22. The film shows them well though, in front of the two-tone background. But I have no reason to dwell over the clip, and move hurriedly on.
  RANDY CRAWFORD- ONE DAY I’LL FLY AWAY:- This is more like it for me. I liked Randy very much back at this time. The Georgia Peach, as she was described then. Her first big solo hit, following the success of her vocals on Street Life by The Crusaders the previous year. Her stay in the public eye was fleeting, but her broad and bonny smile brightened up those far off days of ‘80 and ‘81 immeasurably. As can be seen here. A very good singer, which can be evidenced from this, with the occasional strange mannerism. Again as witnessed. A good song and  a good performance, and I think, if I remember without checking, The Crusaders were returning the favour with their backing musicianship on the number.
  THE CHARTS 10-2:- An interesting concept that I feel sure has been used at other times to feature the leading 10 with brief clips of their tracks, including those already shown- though not necessarily from this show. A la Cliff in a dark suit. Mike Berry had been a few years away, over 17 in fact. I bet he felt pleased to be relevant again. And some very well known artists to be found nestling in the top 10, such as ABBA and Mr. Bowie. Tom Hark, but not from Elias and his Zigzag Jive Flutes, nor from Ted Heath- orchestra leader not ex PM, and he was the famous one first, don’t forget. I think this Tom Hark became a football chant of the terraces- remember them. Was it Brighton fans who took up the track as a chant? Perhaps they aimed in at Kevin Keegan in his Southampton days.
   THE JAM- START:- At number 1 reside the Jam, with another memorable tune. Or what seems a hasty glimpse of the promotional film for the track. It would only be at number 1 for this week, before the famed Swedish steamrolling juggernaut of ABBA took over with the ‘winner Takes It All’ at number 8 this time. In fact Start by The Jam is a short and punchy record, a throwback to the early 60s, when such tracks rarely reached an epic three minutes, and not the case of the producers trying to shoe-horn too much into the show. If they needed to do that, I know what I would have cut out. But a good song, as stated above, with a crisp and sharp ‘Beatlesque’ guitar solo, which is present here. And also looking sharp were Mr. Weller and friends- they were then weren’t they? But that is all the time we have for the number one, and we move on to the end.
  THE CLASH- BANKROBBER:- Which we don’t get to see any of the band, but a lot of coloured lights, a rush from the crowd armed with balloons and the credits. At least Legs and Co. and Choreographer are all named correctly.  The feeling is like of an end of party scene, as people start to drift away. I would have liked to have seen The Clash, but they did not do Top Of The Pops- sending their replacements to perform a dance routine for one week for this song, as we remember.
  THE PRESENTERS:- What can I say about the presenters. Although it is good that the producers are trying something different, may be this is not the answer. Definitely not for Kevin Keegan, injured foot or not. Would you want him back next week? Shut, lock and bolt the door, HE’s coming!! Dave Lee Travis, is much his usual self, trying to make sense of it all, and not always succeeding. The comedy approach is a no-no, but I would like to have seen more of Kevin Keegan in the DLT beard. He should have played at World Cup ’82 with that!! No perhaps it would have been better to let Cliff and Hank present the show, with or without the Hairy Cornflake!! In truth Kevin was not a disaster as a host, but not really what the show needed, then or at any time.
  THE WHOLE SHOW:- Looking back on it now, from nearly 40 years in the future, it was a reasonably good edition. Obviously that recollection is with the knowledge of how I felt about Top Of The Pops in later years. At the time, in 1980, and I am very sure I watched it then, I would have been railing about how the programme ‘is not as good as it used to be’, etc. but I am pleased to be given the opportunity to see it again, thanks to Mikey. And I hope he can overlook any inadequacies in my review, borne on the haste to get it finished after my interminable delay to get started. My highlight would have been, hmm... Randy Crawford then, and she will be again now. Of course that ignores Legs and Co. and as a reconstituted Leggy, I am very pleased to see them here. What is the point of Top Of The Pops without a dance troupe? I don’t know the answer to that either. Therefore I will rate the show 6/10 overall. Good but not too good. Apologies to all for my nonsensical ramblings. I am out of practice in reviewing stuff, I need the completely re-accustom myself.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

VintageVideos
Hanway2 wrote
  THE BEAT- BEST FRIEND:- To be frank, I think this is a disappointingly lightweight release following on from their big hits of Hands Off- She’s Mine and Mirror In The Bathroom. And it would seem the buying public agreed with me, to some extent, as this only got up to 22. The film shows them well though, in front of the two-tone background. But I have no reason to dwell over the clip, and move hurriedly on.
It was actually a double A sided single, and the other side, a dub version of "Stand Down Margaret", was much better. Maybe their record company feared that SDM could get them into trouble because of its political message.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Thanks Hanway for getting round to commenting on this one.

Heres Keegan where he should be, on the pitch scoring goals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojl0aAvvMx4

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

PattiforPM
Now I arrive at 1980 and the DLT/Kevin Keegan event.  First of all I must confess a dislike for pretty much all these Celeb-assists but as others have noted Kev isn't too bad and is not at all dislikeable.  I guess we must give the new format a chance but I have to say that this Show seems to rush the music in order to fit in the rundowns and goofy nattering way too much and some of the acts are criminally brief, with only 80secs of the Beat FGS and 5 acts at 2 mins and under while Randy C gets over 4 mins.  Not great and I think the experience suffers as a result.  Anyway here goes...

(45) SECRET AFFAIR – Sound Of Confusion   -  Reasonable effort but not their best.  Saw these lads live at Uni and they were very good  7/10
(3) KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love  -  Oh dear, high pitched weakish vocals, my nemesis.  Bops along I suppose but #1??  no, No, NO!!  4/10
(22) NICK STRAKER BAND – A Walk In The Park   -  Just ok.  Nothing much to say really 6/10
(5) HAZEL O’CONNOR – Eighth Day  ® -  Powerful performance and decent song.  Quite enjoyed this  8/10
(20) BILLY JOEL – It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me  (danced to by Legs & Co)   F***ing Great (sorry but how good are these ladies?!?!)  10++/10
(10) CLIFF RICHARD – Dreamin’   -  Not a bad song at all and a less embarrassing gesticulating performance than usual.  Only minus was the shorts on the keyboard player.  Did he lose his tracksuit?  7.5/10
(13) SHEENA EASTON – Modern Girl  ®  -  More squeaky vocals but I always loved Sheena's eyes so I'll partially forgive her   6/10
(27) THE BEAT – Best Friend (video)   This was great.  What is with you guys who say it's second rate.  No it's not.  Love how they combine guitar and sax.  Criminally cut short too.  9.5/10
(26) RANDY CRAWFORD – One Day I’ll Fly Away   -  Well it is a good song and very vocal performance and I can get past the Stevie Wonderesque visuals but why 4 mins when apart from this only Cliff got even 3 mins?   8/10
(1) THE JAM – Start  (video)   Good but not great.  Even mediocre Jam is better than most though.  7.5/10
(12) THE CLASH – Bankrobber  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)   Good song but way short   7/10

Sorry to go on about the time given so much but it really does seem to chop up the Show to me.  DLT is always friendly and watchable but this Celeb thing was a little annoying and all the rundowns and pauses do this no favours in my opinion.  On the up side Legs & Co were sublime and the Beat, Randy C, Hazel Oc and the Jam were all good, Secret Affair and Cliffy were very reasonable and I got to gaze at those Easton eyes again so nothing to hurll about really.   Best were Legs then the Beat. Thanks Mikey.

Re: 4-9-80 With Dave Lee Travis & Kevin Keegan

Dancer
A really good show.  Never heard of Secret Affair but did nothing anyway.  Ideal for the era. Kelly Marie really good.  Loved that tune and still have the single.  I am sure it came up in the Calibre Cuts single too as a snippet.  Loved the Nick Straker Band.  Really clever song.  Hazel O'Connor really good.  Excellent song.  Legs & Co/Billy Joel very good.  Very energetic.  Song itself was good.  I was never a fan of Cliff Richard's songs in all honesty but this was good.  It went into the Top 10 in America.  Sheena Easton was about to take Donna Summer's award of having two top tens in the chart.  This was a re-entry into the charts as initially this only hit the low forties on first release.  A very good song and an excellent performance.  She was really on a high in 1980.  Loved The Beat but it was too short.  Randy Crawford song was beautiful.  I still have the 12" single to this and it never dates.  Loved The Jam.  Paul Weller's voice always so good.  Clash song good.  Kevin Keegan looked really uncomfortable on this show.  This was the only downside.  Always enjoyed the top ten rundown.