4. Possibly Stevie Wonder - Superstition from 08/02/73

4. Possibly Stevie Wonder - Superstition from 08/02/73

Possibly Stevie Wonder - Superstition 08/02/73

Available evidence
Bug themes were used around Feb-Mar 1973
Theme first seen 01/02/73
Theme last seen 01/03/73 (Albert Hammond)
Faces on the same set possibly 08/02/73.
01/02 episode exists
Possible dances:
08/02 Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Crowd Dancing) - Now confirmed as a dance!
15/02 Focus - Hocus Pocus (Crowd Dancing) - Now confirmed as a dance!
22/02 The Jackson 5 - Doctor My Eyes (believed to be picture 2)
01/03 Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (green dresses)

This would suggest Superstition as the most likely dance unless they are a very light green.

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Doc
Evidence trail

The Faces possibly from 08/02/73

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

the spirit of pan
I remember seeing Pan's People do a dance to Wishing Well by Free, which is not credited on the list but checking on the charts from 1973 it peaked in Jan/Feb of that year. Could this be the one?

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Mikey
Unlikely i'd say, this picture is probably the 8th Feb as the set is an exact match with the Faces one. The most likely date for a Free routine would have been 18th Jan, but thanks for confirming they did a dance to it, its a great track. Do you remember anything about, costumes etc?

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Doc
The Free performance would have most probably been 18th Jan 1973.
Something for Vin to take into account for the Pan's list as there's nothing shown for that week.

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

PansLegs
Funnily enough, I was about to put this in the chat thread but it seems more appropriate here. Some information for early 1973 from a contemporary source.

11/1/73 CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD – I’m On My Way To A Better Place
18/1/73 FREE - Wishing Well
8/2/73 STEVIE WONDER – Superstition
15/2/73 FOCUS – Hocus Pocus
8/3/73 THE DETROIT EMERALDS – Feel The Need In Me
29/3/73 TIMMY THOMAS – Why Can’t We Live Together
5/4/73 LITTLE JIMMY OSMOND – Tweedlee Dee

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

VintageVideos
Thank you PansLegs. I had just taken a closer look at the tracklist for the 11/01, and I noticed that the Chairmen of the Board were featured as 'disc' even though the record had dropped from No. 30 to No. 31! My conclusion was that the only logical explanation for that song to be on the tracklist for the show was a (pre-recorded?) Pan's People performance. Before I could post my thoughts, you had posted your list, so thanks for confirming what I was just about to bring up for discussion!
Vin

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

the spirit of pan
Regarding the costumes for the Free routine, they were wearing low-cut tops or dresses (our house had black and white tv at that time so I can't help you with the colours). I remember Louise in particular as being on smouldering form, which made quite an impression on me as a youngster! And, as you say, it's a great track even without PP.

I'm new to this site but I'm happy to try to help in piecing together information where I can. With the guide that TOTP only played records that were going up the charts, Wishing Well entered the charts on 7th Jan (the Thursday date would have been 11th Jan) and continued climbing until Thursday 8th Feb, so it's got to be somewhere between those dates.

Thank you, spirit of pan (an interesting name!), for bringing this to our attention. As PansLegs posted last evening, Wishing Well was performed on the 18/1/73, and I have amended the list accordingly.
Vin

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Mikey
Good to know you are a Louise fan TSOP.

Just for my own amusement, i did a screen shot of the long stage (the one PP used) for each show in January 1973, the background mostly consisting of fruit machine type symbols, so you can use your imagination to see the them dancing to COTB or Free. The performances are 4th Jan Carly Simon Your So Vain (PP), 11th Jan Elton John Daniel (shown on 25th), 18th Jan Sweet Blockbuster, 25th Jan Dandy Livingstone. I'm not 100% confident the Elton/Sweet are the right way round though, kind of an educated guess Elton recorded 2 on the same day.

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

VintageVideos
Your Elton John picture is indeed from the 11th January show, and this performance was shown only on the 11th January. The performance from the 25th January exists as well but looks different:

Vin

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Mikey
Thanks Vin, I think though that purple Daniel (as i call it) was actually recorded on the same day i.e the 11th. If you pause the clip at 11 seconds the set in the background is the other stage, so effectively a quick costume change move to another stage and viola 2 performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa89Yg5TIgw

Even though that is certainly possible I don't think it's very likely. In the second performance, the guitar player is playing a guitar that is completely different from the first performance.
Vin

The Faces song was "Cindy Incidentally" which was going up in the charts between 15th Feb and 8th March. This picture was therefore on 15/02, 22/02, 01/03 or 08/03, but it couldn't have been 8th Feb as it only entered the charts the following week.

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Doc
The BBC database shows The Faces on the show 08/02/73, the next week it is listed as being played over the chart countdown. All other appearances are listed as being a repeat of the first one.

8-2-73: Presenter: Tony Blackburn (Wiped)

(25) JUNIOR WALKER & THE ALL STARS – Take Me Girl, I’m Ready (and charts)
(3) THE STRAWBS – Part Of The Union ® *
(28) DAVE EDMUNDS – Baby I Love You
(29) CHUCK BERRY – Reelin’ And Rockin’ (video)
(NEW) BRUCE FORSYTH – Didn’t He Do Well
(2) GARY GLITTER – Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah) ® *
(NEW) THE FACES – Cindy Incidentally
(17) STEVIE WONDER – Superstition (crowd dancing)
(1) THE SWEET – Blockbuster ®
(30) FOCUS – Hocus Pocus (crowd dancing) (and credits)

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

Ok, you got me there, perhaps he brought 2 with him.

I think i now have every set for Jan, Feb and 3 out of 5 weeks of March. I'll try and compile a complete list later in the week.

Re: 4. Unknown Routine from Feb/Mar 1973

the spirit of pan wrote
it couldn't have been 8th Feb as it only entered the charts the following week.
TOTP often featured new releases even before they charted, especially from popular acts.
Vin