40th 03/02/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

03/02/77

Legs and Co danced to:
Don't Leave Me This Way - Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6kn4x7bUM

SUMMARY: Very elegant, one of my favorites!
CHAMPAGNE: The dresses. Also after many watches I have to add Pauline and Patti's strut towards the camera at about 1:40.
SPOTTED: It's all rather spotless, but I couldn't leave it at that, so after very close examination I noticed that Pauline steps on her dress or gets her shoe caught in it several times.

1. At the first spin, it gets caught on her shoe and she steps on it. Is her slight fall to her right caused by this?

2. Her shoe gets caught up with the hem and the dress gets dragged round with her leg.

3. She steps on it again.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: 40 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Six very beautiful classy ladies dance under a chandelier.

CHAMPAGNE: 1.23 when it really gets into the routine.

SPOTTED: I couldn't find anything wrong with it, absolutely amazing job!

Re: 40 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Doc
Legsfan wrote
SPOTTED: I couldn't find anything wrong with it, absolutely amazing job!
Yes a top quality performance. I have to add that the other thing I spotted about Pauline was how good she looked in the routine,
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: 40 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

CoffeeThing
SUNMARY: This is a classy routine and the girls look amazing. I love this one.
CHAMPAIGNE: The whole ambience. I have to say, a chap could die happy after that.
SPOTTED: This just reinforces how fantastic these girls are.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

SUMMARY: A stunningly graceful dance

CHAMPAGNE: I agree the Pauline and Patti advance gives one pause

SPOTTED: Not this time, couldn't take my eyes off the dancers and their craft

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Doc
PattiForPM wrote
CHAMPAGNE: I agree the Pauline and Patti advance gives one pause
At the end of the walk Pauline gives quite an exaggerated finish, Patti less so. However if you watch when they repeat it right near the end with them on the opposite sides Patti now gives the exaggerated response and Pauline is more subdued.

In fact Patti goes ultra pouty at the end, I think the music must have warmed her up!
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Everything'sRosie

SUMMARY: Debs take to the floor at the Embassy Ball.

CHAMPAGNE: When the girls caress their cheeks to signify where they require that "tender kiss".

SPOTTED: They'll have to get Trotter Bros in to get that central chandelier down.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

SUMMARY: The routine is neigh on perfection, lovely outfits, decent song, great decor, yet its not in the Legs top 100 chart. Most surprising.

CHAMPAGNE: I guess it has to be the two walks during the two times we hear the chorus and that head movement.

SPOTTED: Sue appears to be the only one sporting a locket style necklace, infact i dont think the other five are wearing a necklace of any sort.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Mikey
That top pic is magnificent (ok I'm biased). Your heading is showing March by the way Doc

SUMMARY: Sophisticated and classy performance, at times they look like they are waiting on their male dance partners to arrive, form an orderly queue.....
CHAMPAGNE: Those cute Lulu camera looks and the odd Patti pout tick the right boxes
SPOTTED: Another example of slowly tracking back to the presenter (a long haired Kid Jenson, i'd forgotten how long he'd done the show) whilst the dance is still going.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

I'm pretty sure Lulu is wearing a St Christopher or something similar although I'm not in a position to check at the moment.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Mikey wrote
SPOTTED: Another example of slowly tracking back to the presenter (a long haired Kid Jenson, i'd forgotten how long he'd done the show) whilst the dance is still going.
There's a very good tracking from the presenter to the dance coming up in a few weeks but I'm torn between telling you which one it is or not.

I wouldn't suggest that Patti is odd or the boys from Canada might come over to sort you out. I'm not not normally a big fan of the pout, but in this case it works well.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Doc wrote
She certainly is

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Doc wrote
I'm pretty sure Lulu is wearing a St Christopher or something similar although I'm not in a position to check at the moment.
Yes Lulu is wearing said item, as TRBM also points out. I take some necklaces are personnel jewellery and in some routines these are allowed, though some routines like `Suspicion` they would simply get in the way as they are wearing neckwear appropriate to the routine.

The locket style necklace that Sue is sporting in this routine, was also seen in the first routine of the year `Don't Give Up On Us`.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Ah, but thats odd as in 'occasional' i mean, nothing 'odd' about the Patti pout.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Re: 40th 03/02/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

SUMMARY: A great routine, very sophisticated and elegant.

CHAMPAGNE: The dresses, and those walks towards the camera.

SPOTTED: Just as well the chandeliers are electric with all of that fabric around!

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

The locket style necklace that Sue is sporting in this routine, was also seen in the first routine of the year `Don't Give Up On Us`.
As a self proclaimed fan of Sue, i feel quite abashed not realising just how many times she wore that same locket style necklace. On plenty of occasions in 77 & 78 and the latest i can find is `Don't Push It Don't Force It` in 1980, though i haven't thoroughly checked later 80 & 81. I wonder when the first occasion was, again i haven't checked 76 and earlier. I may drop her a line to ask if the said necklace is still firmly in her jewellery box and if it ever gets a run out nowadays.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Dancer
SUMMARY: Lovely routine to a lovely song and singer.  Not keen on this version at first - I favoured Thelma Houston's and bought that one and wanted the girls to dance to that too but now the reverse has happened.  Teddy Pendergrass's voice is so sultry

CHAMPAGNE: The outfits and the lovely fixtures and lighting.  Reminded me of a Holland Park lounge.  So swish.

SPOTTED: Nothing to spot in my honest opinion.  Just a lovely routine.

Re: 40th 03/03/77: Don't Leave Me This Way

Old Grey Whistler
SUMMARY: A routine which oozes class and to me is stereotypical Pans People
CHAMPAGNE: Again there is no one moment in particular.
SPOTTED: They carry on dancing at the end even when the lights have gone down.