Quantcast

40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Doc
03/03/77
This is another week that we have PVL Ken Holmes to thank for it's survival. He is well known for 'offering' to sell his tapes to the BBC for £20000, an offer they declined. This resulted in digitised versions of the shows being sold to collectors for quite a lot of money. One downside of this is the surviving versions would almost certainly have been a lot better had Kaleidoscope been able to have access to them. However they would probably now be sitting in safely in an archive available for the BBC to ignore! The upside as far as the 'average' fan is concerned is that all of the Legs and Co routines have now been 'leaked' onto the internet. A 'different' routine this week, but remember that you are rather fortunate to see it.

Legs and Co danced to:
David Bowie - Sound and Vision
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2235

SUMMARY: Certainly one of the more unusual routines

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie reminding me of Jane Fonda in Barbarella.

SPOTTED: Sue getting an easy week.
Question, is that Sue in all of the close ups? I think it is.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: A peek into the future and it looks Rosie!

CHAMPAGNE: That stunning eye make-up. Oh, for a closer look.

SPOTTED: The girls have symbols on their palms. Is this the Hindu Eye of Shivra symbolising awakened consciousness? If so it would certainly tie in with the Sound and Vision theme.

QUESTION: No, I think the first eye we see is Rosie's.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Doc
I think you could be right. Those black bars make it difficult comparing eyes.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

SUMMARY: Certainly the first of quite a few avant-garde Legs & Co routines in the coming years.

CHAMPAGNE: Love the Rosie look in this and ive championed it many times. I believe i first mooted the Barbarella comparison way before this was on the net (but i will let you have it Doc)

SPOTTED: Nothing unusual. But the blue graphics style with Rosie dancing kinda reminds me of the blue graphics from the Pans routine to `I Get A Kick Out Of You`.
Question, is that Sue in all of the close ups? Well here is my take on it. The first single close-up eye we see is blue in colour. As only two members of Legs & Co had blue eyes, it must be Rosie, as Gill was unavailable this week.

The second set of eyes just after is quite obviously Sue as we see a lot of her face.

The full red cherry lips surely belong to Patti. They are very similar in shape to the kiss-blowin Patti in `The Wanderer`. Thats my take on it. as ever, the only real judge in this would be our Sue, she would know for sure.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

SUMMARY:  Song-congruous but a little too undancey and futuristic for me

CHAMPAGNE: Those lips

SPOTTED: The whole thing was unusual

Incidentally I agree with Ryan's ID of the close-ups.  As far as Doc's Barbarella dream goes I can see what he means and I would say in similar photo contests it's not often at all that I'd give the victory to the Away Team but in this case.....

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Champagne: Pauline (I think it's her?) seated doing the Buddha moves.

Spotted: The lovely eye close-ups of Rosie and Sue, and Patti's very red lips.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Doc wrote
Yep, its Patti

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Mikey
SUMMARY: I really like this one, a chance for the the VT guys to let loose
CHAMPAGNE: Rosie and her 'bunches' hair
SPOTTED: The nice synthy bit at 0.32 works really well with the blue fragmenting Rosie. Actually this is probably the most arty thing pre Oxygene Legs and Co get

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: Flick’s creative imagination runs wild in a full on video-tech spectacular, that’s probably aided by the guys who do Dr. Who’s FX’s

CHAMPAGNE: The box with the lips.

SPOTTED: Somebody’s arm, (Sue, Pauline, or Rosie???) squeezes into shot during Lulu and Patti’s dance off @ 0:28

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Futuristic and strange is what I like!

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie's head spin at 1.24

SPOTTED: Whoever saved this routine deserves a bit thank you from me!

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Doc
Legsfan wrote
SPOTTED: Whoever saved this routine deserves a bit thank you from me!
The late Ken Holmes of PVL fame. We've got him to thank for a rather large number of saved routines.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

SUMMARY: A fantastic and arty performance.

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie's dancing section.

SPOTTED: Not so much spotted, more like it's just amazing to think Rosie was still only sweet sixteen in this, she just looks so confident and sophisticated.

I'm probably wrong here, as you guys know a lot more than me on these matters, but i think the pout we see is in fact Sue and not Patti.

Re: 40th 03/03/77 Sound and Vision

Old Grey Whistler
SUMMARY: A very experimental production which for the most part works quite well.
CHAMPAGNE: Towards the end when Pauline is doing her Buddha dancing sat on a box containing Rosie who is doing her electric blue dancing.
SPOTTED: Too many black bars on the screen for my liking.