40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R5To-yudN4

SUMMARY: Low energy work out except for Ma Menhenick.

CHAMPAGNE: Hair swishing, especially by the lady in green.

SPOTTED: I didn't see anything, honest. I'm no grass.

Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

SUMMARY: It reeks of a rush job, and to make matters worse the five seated are dressed as holiday camp entertainers.

CHAMPAGNE: Goes to Rosie and Patti for claiming the prime seats, with Lulu being given the cheap seat.

SPOTTED: Only Gill wore a dicky-bow that didn't match her jacket colour.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

SUMMARY: It reeks of a rush job, and to make matters worse the five seated are dressed as holiday camp entertainers.

I think this was the week that they filmed 'Ruby Flipper in Germany', which could explain the rush job.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Wasn't RF in Germany August 77 ? Even so, that would be weekend work, very much like cabaret work and shouldn't impact on TOTPs activities which ran from Mondays to Wednesdays.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Old Grey Whistler
According to another thread, RF in Germany was filmed on Thursday 7th and Friday 8th July with rehearsals on Wednesday 6th. I would imagine therefore that Ma Baker would have been filmed probably on the Tuesday, which may be why there is no audience, so they would have had less time than usual to work on it.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

I just went by this date which clearly says August. Vin would probably be the one know knows best on this, but is this the filming date or later screening date ?

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

VintageVideos
It's the screening date.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

SUMMARY: The Baker Dining Room sans table and Ma's not serving anyone

CHAMPAGNE: Thank goodness we get Ma and the five daughters instead of the four sons

SPOTTED: I was trying to see Sue's brooch clearly but failed

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

VintageVideos wrote
It's the screening date.
Ok cheers. I never realized they filmed the German RF in July to be shown at a later date, for some reason i thought it was a live talent/variety show or something of that nature.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Old Grey Whistler
SUMMARY: When you have five of the girls seated and one dressed as an old woman, it is bound to cause limitations which this routine couldn't quite escape from.

CHAMPAGNE: The mock expressions of horror during the news flash.

SPOTTED: The hair swishing bits were ideal for Rosie and Gill but less so Lulu, who's barnet wasn't going to move no matter how vigorously she tried.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: Those colourful outfits were meant for another routine, methinks!

CHAMPAGNE: The immaculately held freeze at the beginning.

SPOTTED: Ma Baker is one shameless reprobate, proudly identifying herself during the FBI announcement.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: By adopting a Christine Keeler sitting position and lots of swishing hair back and forth, Flick hoped to get away with it.

SUMMARY: No champagne moment, so a Steve Wright style tip in a series of tips for drinking champagne when there's no champagne moment in a routine :-
#1 Serve Champagne in a flute shaped glass as the bubbles are more noticeable, and, as we all know, enjoyment is as much to do with what excites the eye, as with what the tastebuds perceive.

SPOTTED: The coloured bands on the skirts match with everyone’s jackets, except Gill’s.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

SUMMARY: Five of six our lovelies in a seated performance, and the finest bunch of outlaws i've ever seen.

CHAMPAGNE: All that hair swishing, it almost turns this disco classic into a heavy metal routine!

SPOTTED: Nothing other than the beautiful view of Rosie and Patti's legs, but i'm certainly not complaining about that!

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

SUMMARY: It might have been a bit of a rush job.

CHAMPAGNE: Those pastel shaded jackets.  Well fitted even if in the wrong caper.

SPOTTED: Handbag matched bloomers but not dress.  But then she was a reprobate!

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Dancer
SUMMARY: Lovely song and instantly catchy.  Routine not so.

CHAMPAGNE: Sue in the background and Rosie looking sexy as she danced.  She seemed the most sexy in this routine.

SPOTTED: Nothing major just awful jackets but they had to stand out so there was no alternative really.

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Doc
Dancer wrote
SPOTTED: Nothing major just awful jackets but they had to stand out so there was no alternative really.
I quite like them!
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

Mikey
SUMMARY: Another silly tune from Boney M, the 2 routines in one doesn't quite work, but its fun all the same

CHAMPAGNE: One for Sue of course

SPOTTED: Sue's dress

Re: 40th 07/07/77: Ma Baker

How did I miss this one??!!

SUMMARY: One of Sue's finest character performances.

CHAMPAGNE: I like the head shaking.

SPOTTED: Only Ma Sue's dress.
Don't worry I'm still here!
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.