40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

Doc

http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1748

SUMMARY: We arrive at the very last TOTP episode to be wiped by the BBC, never again will a poor achiving policy stop us from seeing performances of the show.

CHAMPAGNE: No great moments, but there's several good ones, the first close up of Rosie is probably my favourite.

SPOTTED:  Thanks home video tapes we get to do so! Other than that is seems to go to plan.

Way Down - Elvis Presley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6H-7WGyozE

Almost by fluke the second performance on the show managed to survive in the BBC archive thanks to being repeated 3 weeks later and I must say I'm thankful as Pauline's hip wiggles are rather inspirational! It also gives us a chance to see what the Oxygene outfits look like without the coloured spotlights on them. One for a 'Not Spotted', where's Rosie?

Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

AC/PD
SUMMARY: A real air of September 1977 - instant transportation.
CHAMPAGNE: Perfectly chilled for this one. Fizzles to the rim of the flute when Patti goes out of phase.
SPOTTED: The diagonal jewellery above Gill's eyebrow.
                Camera time for all bar one.

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

SUMMARY: Legs & Co breath life into Oxygene.

CHAMPAGNE : Any of the close-ups, though i confess GC looked very much up for this routine.

SPOTTED : Never noticed the funky up-projections before onto the ornate ceiling structure. Before i was just stuck with concentrating on the female five-some.

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

SUMMARY: Very refreshing like JMJ made the song so that Legs could dance to it.

CHAMPAGNE: The close-up of Gill.

SPOTTED: The last wiped Legs & Co routine!
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

SUMMARY:  Superheated Oxygen-enriched Vapours; one more component and there might have been an explosion

CHAMPAGNE:  Cork hits ceiling for serene Gill

SPOTTED:  In Way Down it looks as if Patti has nicked Lulu's oxy-square and Lulu has stolen Gill's (if I have the perspective right?) so maybe that's why Pauline is consoling Gill stage left

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: For once the dim lighting actually works. An intentionally mechanical dance to a dark and haunting piece of music.

CHAMPAGNE: The close-up of Gill. Those jewelled adornments above her left eye are the very essence of cool.

SPOTTED: Hooped earrings. Big Os for Oxygene perhaps.

Re: 40th 08/09/77: Oxygene

SUMMARY: A wonderful and eerie performance due in part to the music and also the quality of the video, and once again another routine we're lucky to have.

CHAMPAGNE: Gill looks great, but i really like Rosie bathed in that blue light.

SPOTTED: In Way Down at 1.05 Pauline and Gill look to be slightly out of sync when they lift their arms, also in the shots of Lulu and Patti there seems to be a discussion going on with a group of guys in the background, just to the left of a set of drums.