40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Doc

SUMMARY: A fine routine that always seems to make me think of John Cleese! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8)

CHAMPAGNE: A toss up between Rosie's first appearance and the sparkly trousers.

SPOTTED:  Nothing at all!

NEW NO.1
Cue the dodgy dancing it's
Brotherhood of Man - Figaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=967NO6SK3W0

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: The combination of Abba and Legs & Co is irresistible, and this next installment in the quartet of dance sequences is no exception.

CHAMPAGNE:
 Sue’s “I’m a Star” walk @ 1:27

SPOTTED: The set that should have been used for “Show You The Way To Go”

NEW NO.1  I’ve never understood the popularity of this record where the guy sounds like he's a predatory sex pest

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: Superbly put together routine, with step-perfect execution.

CHAMPAGNE: So many great moments, but Rosie's first entrance sets the tone.

SPOTTED: The three teenagers only entrance/exit from one side. Lulu/Rosie from the left and Gill from the right.

NEW No.1: If you thought Angelo was bad...

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

SUMMARY: I'll take a chance on these long legged lovelies.

CHAMPAGNE: Not really a champers moment as such, but what a glorious moment towards the end when that crystal clear screencap of Lulu emerges. Just before that she is in full lip-sycning mode once again, something we don't really seen in full flow so much these days.

SPOTTED: The routine was as close to perfection as any, so no clangers to report. The audience guy at the back left in the intro has a look of the Snooker player Nigel Bond in his younger days about him.

NEW NO.1  This is one of those innocent throw away pop songs or so i thought. Just reading the guys before me thoughts on it i couldn't resist googling the lyrics. My word that Figaro fellow was quite a bounder wasn't he. I wonder what the snowflakes of today would make of those lyrics !

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Old Grey Whistler
SUMMARY: Peter Powell summed it up perfectly - 'terrific, terrific, terrific'

CHAMPAGNE: Torn between Sue's solo bit and Gill, Sue and Lulu bounding onto stage for a quick conflab

SPOTTED:  Nowt

NEW NO.1   It's not bad but I'll wager that it won't score well in the 1978 poll.

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

SUMMARY: Sleek leggy ladies and a jaunty tune.  What's not to love?

CHAMPAGNE:  I agree Sue's Starlet reprise of Cherry's Soul City Walk is great

SPOTTED:  Nil of note

NEW NO.1: Me Cago En Nada

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

SUMMARY: A fantastic routine to an Abba classic, just perfect.

CHAMPAGNE: For me it has to be Rosie's appearance at the beginning.

SPOTTED: Just Peter Powell's strange intro, he announces the band and the song, and as the routine begins we hear him say 'Legs & Co', almost as an afterthought and sounding as if it was dubbed on afterwards.

New No 1: I get mixed up between this one and the other one!

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

GiLuRo wrote
Interesting stuff GiLuRo. You make a persuasive point and i think you may well be right.

It certainly sounds very strange Ryan, it's another example of the editing we get from the presenters to our dancers, in this case it almost sounds as if the intention was to show Abba's video and at the last minute changed it to a dance routine, although i'd be surprised if that was the case as the producers would have known their plans for the show well in advance.

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Doc
I think Pete initially forgot and said at the last second. I don’t think they would bother adding it later as they didn’t always get credited at the start, so it wouldn’t have been considered essential.

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Of course its not a `gimme` that the presenters do have to name Legs & Co in their intros, though i guess its considered good form if they do. One serial offender for this was was our friend Noel Edmonds who probably only mentioned the name Legs & Co (or in his case Legs & Company) in less than 50% his intros, though if he didn't he would do so in his outro. I can excuse Noel though as he put loads of thought into his intros, unlike some.

Don't believe me ? These are Legs introductions by Noel, that do not include the troupes name in some way.

I Wish, Jungle Rock Xmas, Saturday Nite, Hotel California, Got To Give It Up 2nd, Way Down V1, Fantasy, Ca Plane Pour Moi, Supernature,
As for Pete's late call in this, on further listens it does appear he simply forgot and remembered just in time. I wonder how many routines do commence with the presenters still talking. I may do a recce just to see how often this occurred.

I suspect that most DJ’s wouldn’t have bothered to name check them that late, but Pete was alway very positive about Legs and Co so it fits his style.

Re: 40th 09/02/78: Take A Chance On Me

Old Grey Whistler
Tony Blackburn did something quite similar when he presented The Smurf Song.