Quantcast

40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

10/02/77
We come to another episode unceremoniously chucked in the bin, the first track survives, in a poor state, thanks to the band Sailor asking for a copy of it at the time. The number one performance is still around thanks to it being a video shown a few weeks previously. Finally, luckily for us, the only other known surviving part is the Legs and Co routine and that was recorded by PVL Ken. Ironically the episode of Crossroads from this day survives at the BFI. I know what I prefer to see again.

Legs and Co danced to:
Heatwave - Boogie Nights
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2290

New No.1:
Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adUPdnzCAk8

No.1: I hated it at the time. I can still remember hiding my head under a pillow when it came on the show much to the amusement of my Aunt and Uncle! I've mellowed a bit since then and don't mind it now. I'm still surprised that it only spent 1 week at the top, it felt longer.

SUMMARY: Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve! (Which is what I think DLT said after the performance).

CHAMPAGNE: The first shot of Sue after the blurry start, a real wow moment!

SPOTTED: Very little, I think I'm mesmerised when watching it. There is of course Gill's variable smiling but other than that I just see a damn good routine.

Comments for the following please
No.1: A comment about it.
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Edit: DLT said  "I've heard of wearing my heart on my sleeve but that is ridiculous!".

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

No.1: Didn't it suffer badly on the BBC4 re-runs in terms of not being shown, or am i thinking of another record ?

SUMMARY: Gets better on every watch, helped very much by the quality of the track.

CHAMPAGNE: PVL Ken deserved the champagne.

SPOTTED: It does remind me somewhat of Pans `Down Down` in the fact that we dont see the bigger picture until the very end of the routine when the camera pulls back to reveal the whole set.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

The Rubberband Man
No.1: She's lying.

SUMMARY: A pre-Valentine’s special from our six Queens Of Hearts, dancing in a red tinged nightclub setting.

CHAMPAGNE: Lulu’s on cue smile.

SPOTTED: Sue’s dance steps make the mirrors wobble.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

PattiForPM
Sue's dance steps make me wobble too

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

VintageVideos
At least the DLT intro and outro have survived as an audio recording, so we know what he is saying before and after the routine.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

No.1: I quite like this song and this is the best version I've heard.

SUMMARY: With all the red light and black skimpiness this is comfortably my choice for Best Wiped Legs Dance award

CHAMPAGNE:  Being allowed a virtual tour of Sue's dressing room

SPOTTED: I like the reveal at the end and nevertheless always forget which stage is where at the beginning

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Everything'sRosie
No. 1: My reaction at the time. This is Number One? The charts must be rigged!

SUMMARY: Fabulous. I'd put it on repeat play and watch it all day if it wasn't for real life getting in the way.

CHAMPAGNE: Those incredible opening bars followed by Sue exploding onto our screens.

SPOTTED: Gill has been replaced by guest dancer...Lyn Paul from the New Seekers.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Everything'sRosie wrote
No. 1: My reaction at the time. This is Number One? The charts must be rigged!
No, the 1977 chart rigging will happen in a few months time. First week in June to be precise.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

VintageVideos
No more than an urban legend if you ask me.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc
I doubt they needed to rig it, Rod's No.1 sold extremely well and Johnny and Co's record was in and out of the chart fairly quickly. It's quite possible that some shops kept one of the records under the counter as most people were being very patriotic at the time.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

PattiForPM wrote
SPOTTED: I like the reveal at the end and nevertheless always forget which stage is where at the beginning
It's a surprise the Sue was not on the centre stage. The way it's filmed makes you think that's where she is (and of course should be).

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc
I've spotted something!
Their sleeves are being held tight by a loop around their hands.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc
and another!
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but at just after 01:25 Gill makes a few moves that are not the same as Rosie and Lulu.
(I feel like I'm picking on Gill, but it has taken me a lot of watching to spot it).

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc
Now the question I need help with is who's legs can you see during the intro. It's confused by the bead curtain being overlayed for part of the sequence. My best guess is that it is possible one of the three on the main stage as you can see heads of the audience behind her at the start.

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

and another!
When I first saw this in 1977 I thought it was a bit odd that DLT said talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve because they were wearing them everywhere but. But on close examination it seems that I was wrong then as this picture proves.

Edit:  DLT said "I've heard of wearing my heart on my sleeve but that is ridiculous!". (I used to have the audio but managed to lose it recently when I had to reload a computers partition)

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc
Something that I've just thought of, were the hearts everywhere on the outfits because Valentines day was only 4 days away? If so it only took me 40 years to realise the significance!

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc wrote
Now the question I need help with is who's legs can you see during the intro. It's confused by the bead curtain being overlayed for part of the sequence. My best guess is that it is possible one of the three on the main stage as you can see heads of the audience behind her at the start.
Those pins belong to Rosie, I'll be bound!

That's what I like to think, as she does possess some lovely legs!

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

Doc wrote
It's a surprise the Sue was not on the centre stage. The way it's filmed makes you think that's where she is (and of course should be).
Wherever Sue appears it becomes de facto centre stage !

Re: 40th 10/02/77: Boogie Nights

PattiForPM wrote
SPOTTED: I like the reveal at the end and nevertheless always forget which stage is where at the beginning
When the camera pulls back, you can't see any other cameras. Now watch the dance again and see how many different camera angles are used (I count 5).
1. Sue head on.
2. Patti and Pauline from Patti's side.
3. The trio from Lulu's side.
4. Patti and Pauline from Pauline's side.
5. The trio from Rosie's side.

This is the sequence of the shots
1.2.3.1.4.5.4.1.3.2.1.5.4.1.2.3.2.1.5.4.1.5.

There was some very clever camera 'choreography' going on here.