40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Doc
10/03/77

Legs and Co danced to:
Mary McGregor - Torn Between Two Lovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYxbPH72UU

New No.1
Three weeks after Legs danced to it!
Manhattan Transfer - Chanson D'Amour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q9MTJokc4A
(I like the Monty Python style stock audience shot at the start).

SUMMARY: OK not the best, but it's very pleasant and mellow.

CHAMPAGNE: I like the opening transition from Kid to Patti.

SPOTTED: or rather not spotted this time. 6 months ago Lulu would be seen looking at the monitor during the stationary moments, not anymore as can be seen during her close ups.

No.1: Very different and I don't dislike it. Helped somewhat by L&C's excellent effort a few weeks back.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
No.1: A comment on the chart topper.
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

PattiForPM
SUMMARY:  Might need a third try MM

CHAMPAGNE: Patti Opening

SPOTTED: Mini-Patti blooper 1:54.  Why not more Pauline close-ups, especially as she wins best outfit in my book?

No.1: Classy French ditty conjuring up lovely Legs & Co images

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

SUMMARY: It's okay but like many dances from 1977, it suffers from poor lighting and a few more close-ups might have improved it.
CHAMPAGNE: No specific moment. I do like their costumes though.
SPOTTED: Nothing really.
No.1: I like it but I am quite surprised that it reached the top. I think the Legs & Co effect helped to propel it there.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

SUMMARY: Pleasant, but uneventful.

CHAMPAGNE: For me no real stand-out moments.

SPOTTED: I have to disagree with our host on this. The first big close-up with Lulu, around the 2 minute mark, her eyes do dart left and im guessing its towards the studio monitor, knowing shes on it. The girl just could not help herself from doing this.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Doc
OK, a very small look but it's a lot better than the obvious stares of a few months back. I do think it's nice to watch the way Lulu improved over time.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Yeah, though the singing along and glances to camera were all part of her innocent charm, especially in the early days and i actually quite like all that.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Doc wrote
I do think it's nice to watch the way Lulu improved over time.
By improved, you mean going from amazing in her Ruby Flipper debut to awesome in her Legs & Co days

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: The routine is lovely. The song unfortunately isn’t.

CHAMPAGNE: Lulu's quick glances towards the monitors

SPOTTED: Lulu’s crucifix necklace again.

No.1: I’m not a fan of Chanson D’Amour. I think it's that Ra da da da da bit that grates on me every time

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

SUMMARY: Not a lot you can do with a song with such a low danceability factor.

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie gives such a sweet smile at the commencement of her dance with Lulu.

SPOTTED: Mr Jensen's Harry Hillesque collar.

No. 1: The esoteric tastes of the British record-buying public propelled this to the top but whenever I hear it now all I can think of is the Legs routine.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

The Rubberband Man wrote
Doc wrote
I do think it's nice to watch the way Lulu improved over time.
By improved, you mean going from amazing in her Ruby Flipper debut to awesome in her Legs & Co days
The change to curly hair was another positive step for me although I know that not everyone would agree. Also the enhanced cheekiness as she got older.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Mikey
SUMMARY: A nice enough routine, perhaps lacking any standout moments
CHAMPAGNE: Not this time, save it for a special occasion
SPOTTED: Where have the audience disappeared to?
No.1: Proof once more the public like a novelty record, well some of them do (i think im in the 'non merci' category)

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

SUMMARY: Mr McGregor, Flick, and the girls, all have my sympathy.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

SUMMARY: Not one that's top of my playlist, but i have to agree with the Kid, 'and they're looking just as lovely as always'.

CHAMPAGNE: Nothing this time.

SPOTTED: What, no Gill!

No.1: To be honest i quite like it, but as mentioned by someone else, i can't listen to the record without visualizing the routing, but that goes for lots of songs the girls performed to.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Synchronized dancing most of the time!

CHAMPAGNE: Patti at the beginning.

SPOTTED: Nothing except the routine looks slightly blurred. Damaged video tape probably.

No.1: It isn't that bad. They should have repeated the Legs routine though.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Gorgeous Daze
SUMMARY: Trying to make the best of a leaden affair.

CHAMPAGNE: A carafe sipped elegantly by Patti and a share of the spoils for a heart-melting Lulu caught in the moment later on.

SPOTTED: Just Pauline isn't in any form of pink.

No.1: Never been near a jazz club but I've grown to like this one. Reminds me of early French lessons. Which culminated in O Level Grade U a few years later.

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

CoffeeThing

Champagne: The lovely Sue gliding gracefully through the middle of the piece ballet style about half way through.

Spotted: Gill not present, but surprised I could tell in the semi-dark.

No 1: I loved that Man-Tran number one. It brings memories of childhood streaming back.
This week, I are be mostly hanging in there

Re: 40th 10/03/77: Torn Between Two Lovers

Dancer
SUMMARY: Lovely routine to a beautiful song.
CHAMPAGNE: Patti.
SPOTTED: Patti's minor error but all round very good.  Those skirts were all the rage in 1977.
No.1: Heavily nursed on radio.  Never really knew who purchased this song.