40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

Doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzh1vrL98Oo

COMMENT: Rosie's theme tune! In my top 5 dances that I wish had got a BBC 4 repeat.

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie is totally gorgeous throughout!

OTHER LIKES: Did I mention Rosie? The others all look great as well. Nice high tempo routine.

SPOTTED:  The girls appearing from behind the camera is similar to that used by Pan's People when they danced to Yesterday.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

The Rubberband Man
COMMENT: Great routine but the camera man’s overly obsessed with looking at the ceiling rather than Legs & Co’s legs

CHAMPAGNE: The costumes are superb

OTHER LIKES: The way the choreography involves the girls moving on and off stage from behind the camera

SPOTTED: It’s all done in one take with just the one camera. We don’t see that often enough.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

COMMENT: If ever song lyrics suited my favourite dance troupe, then these are those.

CHAMPAGNE: Platoon members your high kicking Field Marshal danced splendidly, but i agree with Doc Rosie is so gorgeous in this. Love her high finger, she can give me out LBW any time she wants !

OTHER LIKES: Well mines `almost a like`. Infact if the much maligned cameraman in this had pulled this of it would have been the Legs & Co screengrab to end all screengrabs. The bit towards the end when the girls lean back one after each other and the camera looks down the line. Annoyingly we dont get a clear shot of all six faces in the picture. Maybe some of you super-slow-mo guys can capture it. Look closely and its Sue's sloping head that blocks Patti's face that prevents it.

SPOTTED:  Just the blatant instructions to the cameraman to make sure he gets the ceiling decorations in shot, even though Flick, the dancers or the watching public would be giving two hoots about the fancy ceiling.

Incidentally another routine in which this can be seen is `You're Gonna Get Next To Me` from 1977. Watch that and notice how twice the cameramen focus's on the 4 flashing colored lights above the dancers. Sorry, im digressing a bit now.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

Everything'sRosie
COMMENT: What's not to like? It's pacy, it's fun...and brown has never looked better!

CHAMPAGNE: Every time Rosie appears.

OTHER LIKES: Gill's cozzie.

SPOTTED: Pauline seriously needs to lose that hairstyle, it leaves her lovely face nearly always in shadow.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

AC/PD
COMMENT: Preferable to the Saturday Night Fever sequence in which Travolta and partner perform a disco floor duet to the Bee Gees version. An entire Rosie solo would have been a delight.

CHAMPAGNE: The 'bacon' moment described by Ryan.

OTHER LIKES: Rosie's effervescent performance, Patti's expressive dance spots and the  swiftness with which the ladies hit their precise dance spots when returning to the stage.

DISLIKES: The mixture of UK Gold broadcast and heavy frizz which combine to excessively darken Pauline's features.

SPOTTED: A sudden upwards camera motion at the instance the "More than a woman to me" line is heard for the first time.

And here's one with Patti in sight...but with Gill obscuring the star performer.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

The Rubberband Man
Either

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

COMMENT: I agree, Legs' Theme tune and visions of loveliness

CHAMPAGNE:  The exquisite soloist

OTHER LIKES: The outfits and 3-2-1 transitions.

SPOTTED:  Notably the Cameraman regains his concentration when Patti is on stage

I think I was a bit tough on this Dance in the Comments section as the song, twilight and camerawork are not that bad and overall this is a very enjoyable experience indeed with all the ladies looking wonderful.  I do agree with SF though this time though and think a colour other than black for these costumes might have worked even better

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

Nice try super-slo-mo guy. But both your pics show how near a miss this was to having all six faces in shot.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

AC/PD
Well, quite.
As you said, we don't get a clear shot.

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

PattiforPM wrote
 and camerawork are not that bad
Well not that bad if you like your dancers from the knees upwards

Re: 40th 11/05/78: More Than A Woman

Well not that bad if you like your dancers from the knees upwards
 I instructed counsel to enter a guilty plea although I am partial to a nice pair of pins with shoes or boots on I must admit, so point taken Ryan