40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1WJKZ19Q8

SUMMARY: Last week we were celebrating the last ever wiped Legs and Co performance, we'd get to see them all now wouldn't we! Then on 30th September 2012 ITV transmitted the documentary 'Exposure' which made serious allegationa about a well known knight of the realm. Cue newspapers acting like rabid dogs and the police vastly over reacting by dragging in all sorts of well known celebrities, because they were all guilty weren't they! Many of these poeple were eventualy released uncharged with sulky statements along the lines of we couldn't prove they did it. So much for being innocent until proven otherwise! Another presenter would eventually be prosecuted for groping a girl some decades after he left the show. After being massively critisised by the tabloid papers the BBC, driven into a corner by them, chose to expunge the offending people from history. This resulted in all of the shows where they made an appearence being 'suspended indefinetly' (probably until everyone who is alive now has died!).
The consequence of this, plus the addition of one episode where they forgot to keep all of the audio, resulted in 73 appearances by Legs and Co being included in the 'ban' a loss far more damaging than the BBC's wiping policy had on the troupe.
The only silver cloud, a fuzzy one at that, is that UK Gold had repeated the majority of them some years before and someone recorded and (illegally) kept them on video. The result of this is that all of the withheld appearances have appeared on sites like You Tube in a fuzzy and washed out way. Better than nothing I suppose!

CHAMPAGNE: Probably need tranquilisers, the dance is Ok though.

SPOTTED:  The video's not very sharp and the colour is all wrong.

L&C provided another backing performance to Way Down dressed in the Roadrunner outfits.

Faceless ladies!

This one's even fuzzier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cs__wYYcN8
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: Beige is the word. First of the Yewree'd performances. Boo.

CHAMPAGNE: When the routine goes all dream-like accompanied by Donna's moaning.

SPOTTED: A closed set, but someone appears to have left the door open.

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

Doc wrote
The only silver cloud, a fuzzy one at that, is that UK Gold had repeated the majority of them some years before and someone recorded and (illegally) kept them on video. The result of this is that all of the withheld appearances have appeared on sites like You Tube in a fuzzy and washed out way. Better than nothing I suppose!
Even though UK Gold repeated a lot of TOTP editions, 15/09/77 was definitely not among those. This is one of the most sought after TOTP editions. To think that this was the first show that BBC4 pulled due to Yewtree... If the JS report had been aired two or three weeks later, we'd all have it in our archives.
So even if the picture may not be as good as the BBC4 repeats, we can count ourselves very lucky to have a copy of the routine at all.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

Doc
Yes I know that there are shows that are only available thanks to being recorded the first time round but didn't mention it because I'd already gone on too long. I'm still irritated that the BBC still see fit to block all the performances despite the offending people not appearing in most of them. I suppose the presenter is entitled to a payment for being part of the show even if they don't appear. I think that expires after 50 years.
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
Yes I know that there are shows that are only available thanks to being recorded the first time round
I don't think the clip that we have has been sourced from an off-air recording.
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: Music from the film The Deep, and a none too cray-sea routine to tide us over.

CHAMPAGNE: The moaning bit.

SPOTTED: Lulu debuts a new hairdo, and she looks adorable.

 💇

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

SUMMARY: Donna Summer providing more easy going fayre for Legs & Co. The ideal artist for them to dance to.

CHAMPAGNE: No champers moments for me. The whole thing was more of a coffee-colored affair.

SPOTTED: Oh how Mr Director loved the large overhead studio adornment.

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

SUMMARY: Three Peaches just beat Two Olives in the game of Await the Climax

CHAMPAGNE:  The Pinnacle of Emotion (but perhaps the bubbly is a little cloudy)

SPOTTED: Nothing

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

VintageVideos wrote
I don't think the clip that we have has been sourced from an off-air recording.
Correct

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

VintageVideos wrote
...This is one of the most sought after TOTP editions...we can count ourselves very lucky to have a copy of the routine at all.
Is there a story behind this edition being sought after like originally being wiped and found in a cupboard or is it just because it was never repeated and was smuggled out of the BBC?
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

VintageVideos
Never repeated by the BBC & not repeated on UK Gold & seemingly missing from the PVL archive as well. So difficult to get hold of.
Certainly not the line-up as that is pretty average.

Legsfan wrote
smuggled
I'd rather use 'liberated'
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

Legsfan
Thanks Vin.  Nothing really special then. Well circulated now though, though I have always missed the first Legs routine.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

SUMMARY: It was eagerly anticipated back in 2011 and it didn't disappoint.

CHAMPAGNE: A magnum or four to the fine fellow who made this available.

SPOTTED:  No sign of Sue (its my Dee Dee fan Down Down moment).

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

AC/PD
SUMMARY: A weathered pearl plucked from a dive into unchartered waters.

CHAMPAGNE: The overlay section.

SPOTTED: Lulu's fluffier hairstyle.
                A rare favourable belt for Gill.

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

SUMMARY: I love the track and the routine is good too, how fantastic it would have been if only it had been available as a BBC 4 repeat, at least we have this copy though.

CHAMPAGNE: The Rosie, Gill and Lulu close ups.

SPOTTED: Nothing this time.

Re: 40th 15/09/77: Down Deep Inside

SUMMARY: Oh Legs look lovely today!

CHAMPAGNE: Not today.

SPOTTED: The birth of the Yewtree

Way Down: A very good version of the routine. Gill is wearing the Roadrunner outfit, a routine that she did not appear in. Again these outfits would appear on Jim'll Fix It.
Don't worry I'm still here!
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.