40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

24/02/77

Legs and Co danced to:
Earth Wind and Fire - Saturday Nite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0sYYOSahk

SUMMARY: Trying to copy Saturday Night Fever a bit too much with the Disco set. Despite this I still quite like it.

CHAMPAGNE: Watered down Hofmeister just like you used to get in the discos.

SPOTTED: I wonder if Patti spotted what I could see to her left or did she just realise the audience had been replaced with a painted mural.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

SUMMARY: All was still and peaceful at the disco except for Legs & Co.

CHAMPAGNE: Obviously the Gill Charlie C walk.

SPOTTED: Are they really wearing sandals.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

Doc, pedantic i know, but the correct spelling of the track is Saturday Nite.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

SUMMARY: Disappointing Disco (not my first but probably theirs)

CHAMPAGNE:  I agree the Gill waddle is at least Prosecco Frizzante

SPOTTED: Are they dancing on someone's patio?

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

These pop stars seem to have been to The Slade School for Spelling!

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: A provincial disco setting where the punters stand around the edge of the dance floor watching the pretty girls.

CHAMPAGNE: If you drink the Champagne here, it may well taste like Cherry Cola.

SPOTTED: Somebody called Leslie is standing on the left-hand side of the dance floor.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

Old Grey Whistler
SUMMARY: I think this is one that probably looked good in the planning stages but flopped a bit on the night.
CHAMPAGNE: Gill's solo bit. I also think she was wearing the best colour.
SPOTTED: The audience are literally in a trance. Shame really as if they had been a bit more lively it might have added a bit to the performance.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Night

Gorgeous Daze
SUMMARY: Saturday night at Glums' Discotheque. (Can't have been influenced by Saturday Night Fever as it wasn't released till the end of the year).

CHAMPAGNE: Yep, for Gill.

SPOTTED: 'Leslie' sported by one of the last Bay City Rollers diehards. Tartan in evidence nearby.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

SUMMARY:  I think the statuesqueness of the assembled audience is a deliberate device on Flick's part.  They have been asked to remain as still as possible during the dance as their function is to provide a tableau vivant, a motionless backdrop, onto which Flick is projecting the dance performance.
CHAMPAGNE: Gill's waddle.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Doc
I have to agree with you that they were under instructions not to move.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Doc wrote
I have to agree with you that they were under instructions not to move.
Quite obviously under instructions, that was never in doubt. Though the effect it creates is one of falseness, asking young people to stand perfectly still in a disco environment just looks plain wrong. Im not one of these fans who suggests everything FC did was totally correct and i think this is a case in point. Lets face it, the audiences around that time hardly moved much anyway say in comparison to early 80s shows. So allowing them to sway from one foot to the other im sure wouldn't have detracted to much from the main fayre of the routine, which was undertaken by the six dancers.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Old Grey Whistler
Who do you think would have instructed the audience to keep still, Flick or one of the production team?
I remember asking Rosie in her Q & A as to whether the dancers had ever requested that the audience keep still. Her reply was I don't really know why the audience were very still it certainly wasn't anything to do with the dancers, Flick or the production team requesting the stillness. On the contrary, I would have thought it preferable to have them moving and looking as if they were enjoying themselves!

It does seem some request must have been made on this occasion but my instinct feels that it was more likely to have been from the production team rather than Flick.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Suefan
At this point in her tenure I believe that Flick had considerable clout when it came to the overall presentation of the dance routines.  She was very much a part of the 'production team' in these instances, and although I don't know for sure this one suggests to me a Flick 'idea'.  In devising a new routine every week there was a need to flex the creative muscle every so often, even if it didn't hit the spot every time.  Whether it succeeded in this instance seems to split opinion but I for one think it works rather well.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: Under threat of bouncer violence glum kids clear the floor for the real dancers.

CHAMPAGNE: Just has to be Gill's Chaplin waddle.

SPOTTED: We've had the waddle, now at 2.28 we have the wobble!

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Doc
You're a hard taskmaster ER, but it's there.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

CoffeeThing

Champagne:  Gill doing the Chaplin.

Spotted: It's probably just me but the lovely Rosie was stood very upright near the start and getting close to a few Irish jig moves.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

SUMMARY: A quirky little routine with some nifty moves and fancy footwork, a shame the audience didn't seem to appreciate it too!

CHAMPAGNE: The same as most others, it has to be Gill's Chaplin piece.

SPOTTED: I think i've read this somewhere before, those dresses reappear eighteen months later when the girls perform with Gene Farrow in Move Your Body.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

PattiForPM
GiLuRo wrote
 the girls perform with Gene Farrow in Move Your Body.
 Quite right GiLuRo, shame about the singer but what a difference a shoe makes

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Mikey
SUMMARY: A decent if a little joyless disco-ish performance, not the best EW&F track either

CHAMPAGNE: A tie between Gill's Chaplin impression  and Patti's 'shocked' face

SPOTTED: The guy in the stripy top was definitely moving at one point, the rascal.

Re: 40th 24/02/77: Saturday Nite

Legsfan
SUMMARY: It looks like a fun night at the Legs & Co disco.

CHAMPAGNE: Gill's bit has to be my champagne moment, but I also did like Patt's shocked face.

SPOTTED: Another enthusiastic audience!
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.