40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pX-FeStZxM

SUMMARY: Cheeky!

CHAMPAGNE: Not this time but it's very much a fizzy pop routine.

SPOTTED:  Pauline enthusiastically getting an extra hip shake in near the end

NEW NO.1
Cancer, and my name is Larry! (Who could forget that line)

The Floaters - Float On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZklwTGZutc

Ever so corny! But it certainly sticks in the mind.

Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Possibly the shortest shorts Legs & Co have ever worn.

CHAMPAGNE: I really like the whole routine.

SPOTTED: Apart from Legs wearing extremely short shorts (especially Patti) the only thing that I would note is that the song is played in its entirety.

New No.1: I would give it a 4/10, but it is miles better than last weeks number one.
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

SUMMARY: Cheap looking costumes but the Elvis wording gave the embroidery lady something to do that week.

CHAMPAGNE: Ah its gotta be the salute to the king at the end.

SPOTTED: Noel's cool and measured intro wording, given the gravitas of the sad events from a week earlier. I can think of some TOTPs hosts who would have made a meal of it.

No 1: Float Off.

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: A positive, energetic and colourful tribute to Elvis.

CHAMPAGNE: The respectful turn towards and salute to The King at the end.

SPOTTED:  This was the 700th Top Of The Pops, but nobody mentioned it.

No.1 – Impossible not to snigger at the name of this band

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

SUMMARY: A very upbeat and joyful routine, despite the Kings demise only nine days earlier.

CHAMPAGNE: As already mentioned by others, it has to be the shorts and salutes.

SPOTTED: Matching socks and tee shirts, although Lulu's socks do appear to be a couple of shades too dark.

New No. 1: One i'd rather forget!

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

SUMMARY: The ladies play while Elvis rests

CHAMPAGNE: I agree the final salute is very well done (and undeniably scenic)

SPOTTED:  No comment

NEW NO.1:  Guiltily I find this song smooth and mildly appealing

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Doc
PattiForPM wrote
SPOTTED:  No comment
You'll go blind!
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

PattiForPM wrote
CHAMPAGNE:..... (and undeniably scenic)
Agreed!
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Mikey
+1

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Doc
Gill doing her best Daisy Duke impression 18 months before Catherine Bach.
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Dancer
SUMMARY: Lovely dance routine to a not so good song.  Was never an Elvis fan and remember my Mom buying this single.  A complete mass exodus in the shops.

CHAMPAGNE: A fun routine.

SPOTTED: Nothing.

New No.1: Beautiful song and one which David Hamilton nursed heavily on his show and had as his record of the week.  The album version was very lengthy and I think went through the whole of the zodiac but irrespective was a very "come to bed" song.

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Doc wrote
NEW NO.1
Cancer, and my name is Larry! (Who could forget that line)

The Floaters - Float On
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Everything'sRosie
SUMMARY: In essence Elvis was a creature of the 1950s, and though this song is from the mid-70s it still gets the full bobby-sox treatment.

CHAMPAGNE: Not really any champagne moment for me, but it's a very well rehearsed dance.

SPOTTED: At the end we see Tidybeard standing in front of some Marshall-stacks, was someone playing live on the show I wonder.

New No.1: The Floaters were one-hit wonders, which makes me think this was always meant to be a comedy record and was just a bunch of guys having some fun in the recording studio. Hard to think anyone could ever have taken it seriously.

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Gorgeous Daze
SUMMARY: Colourful merrymaking for the prime of Mr Elvis Presley.

CHAMPAGNE: A sup each for the feel-good nature of it, the outfits, and the closing tribute.

SPOTTED: Taciturn like P4PM.

NEW No.1: There was no need for The Barron Knights to parody it, it was already a joke. 2/10

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

The Rubberband Man
Gorgeous Daze wrote
SPOTTED: Taciturn like P4PM.
Surely the Platoon is not becoming blasé over certain moments of this routine ?????

Re: 40th 25/08/77: Way Down

Gorgeous Daze
That would be telling.
Steve