Quantcast

40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Doc
27/01/77

Legs and Co danced to:
New Kid In Town - The Eagles
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1708

SUMMARY: Ahh, poor Lulu!
CHAMPAGNE: When I first saw this I was shocked by the lack of dancing and was relieved when Lulu does her lonely solo. I wasn't old enough to understand 'arty' back then. So I'll pick that moment.
SPOTTED:
1. Near the end, you can just see Sue hiding behind a shop window.

2. Those furs still have the head and legs attached!

3. The old spelling of cigars.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

SUMMARY: Perfect casting again by Flick. Im not sure i can ever fault FC on her casting, though a few of my learned friends on here may disagree.

CHAMPAGNE: Near the end, i quite like the bit were Lulu resigns herself to her unhappiness and leans herself up against the wooden frame, but in true Lulu fashion still manages a smile for us.

SPOTTED: When the camera pulls back to reveal the set, you get to see the steps on each side of the raised stage.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

SUMMARY:  Legs & Co do "Mean Girls"

CHAMPAGNE: The Sue and Pauline sisterhood and all those lovely facial expressions

SPOTTED: An underage Liquor Store Shopper

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Doc
PattiForPM wrote
SPOTTED: An underage Liquor Store Shopper
3 of them I believe!

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Reminds me of Rainy Night In Georgia

CHAMPAGNE: When they all have the camera zoomed on their faces and then look.

SPOTTED:
1) Pauline's got hoop earrings!
2) When the camera moves away and you then see more set than you should.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Mikey
Legsfan wrote
2) When the camera moves away and you then see more set than you should.
I have wondered what they were going for with that shot showing all the stage gubbins like that, perhaps they were trying a new camera crane thing out, i can't recall anything earlier that does this.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Thats a fair point Mikey. I can see no reason why the camera had to pan back so far to reveal the set surroundings. I would hazard a guess that this later may have been considered a mistake, but they let it through rather than shoot again. Though that solo scene with Lulu was in my mind shot separately from the rest of the rest of the routine.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Just another `spotted`.
The well known TOTPs set studio lights in early 1977 are reflected on the glass. My mind harps back to the fun myself and the dearly departed Floidfan had when David Parton was on this show around this time.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

VintageVideos
What was it called... "The David Parton appreciation thread" I think

Must have been one of the first threads I read on here when I joined (as SMD).
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Yeah me and FF spent a whole evening of jollity discussing Mr Parton. I think i insisted his version was better than Stevie Wonder's !!!

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

VintageVideos
A rather bold statement indeed.

He was the act right before this routine! When he first appeared on the show, right after Car Wash, I remember thinking they must be using some session musician to sing it as Stevie Wonder wasn't available appear. How wrong I was, you think up some strange things when you're young!

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Just another `spotted`.
The well known TOTPs set studio lights in early 1977 are reflected on the glass.
That is the same lighting set that featured in the "Maid In Heaven" routine.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: “Angel Face” dancer arrives in town for an audition at the Saloon Bar. Local “It Girls” express disconcertion at the dead animal around her neck.

CHAMPAGNE: Lulu’s solo.

SPOTTED: Sue gets discovered first when playing Hide & Seek.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Gorgeous Daze
SUMMARY: Sweet stranger in town encounters the local gossips.

CHAMPAGNE: The potpourri of close-ups. Pauline and Sue pretending they're absorbed in the wares of Mr Galindo. Cobblers!

SPOTTED: Actually enough dead animals to constitute a good day's sport for Prince William.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

The Rubberband Man
Gorgeous Daze wrote
CHAMPAGNE: The potpourri of close-ups.
For Patti it's really a poutpourri

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Everything'sRosie

SUMMARY: My God, didn't the hat shop do well this week!

CHAMPAGNE: Lulu's chippy expression and head turn on suspecting she's under surveillance.

SPOTTED: Patti looks decidedly hard-nosed. She will take some winning over.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

PattiForPM
Yup ER, you don't just hit town and become Patti's BFF, you gotta earn it

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Mikey wrote
I have wondered what they were going for with that shot showing all the stage gubbins like that, perhaps they were trying a new camera crane thing out, i can't recall anything earlier that does this.
I don’t think it’s a mistake Mikey. It’s a Metatheatrical technique that’s used to draw attention to this routine’s uniqueness as a dramatic performance. The Director wants us to see that this is a stage and what we are watching is a staged ‘drama’. L&C are a dance troupe and are not actors, but in this routine they are effectively acting out a scene. It’s deliberate that it happens at the time when Lulu does her solo dance.

The same Metatheatrical technique is used at the very end of Mrs. Brown’s Boys, a 'comedy' that frequently breaks the Fourth Wall.

Re: 40th 27/01/77: New Kid In Town

Everything'sRosie
In the last episode of MOONLIGHTING the set is seen being dismantled around the actors. It is indeed a theatrical deconstruction technique designed to remind the audience/viewers (as if they needed reminding) that they have been watching a performance and real life happens somewhere out there beyond the EXIT sign.