40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrfu9vpVgRE

COMMENT: The basic dance routine is not bad but is spoiled by too many overlays of midrifs and beads that makes for a very confusing and messy picture. The only time this works is for Rosie's solo. Had the overlays been reined in a little and been restricted to the girls faces I think this could have turned out to have been a half decent routine. I'm not going to criticise the lack of light as Flick obviously wanted the darkness and red light to go with the song. It's also a shame that we didn't get to see what would have been a much sharper BBC 4 repeat!

CHAMPAGNE: Rosie's solo makes you think this one's going to be good only to be rather let down by the rest.

OTHER LIKES:
Patti looking at the camera at the start (cut from the repeat).
Patti's Oh moment about 45 seconds in.
Rosie's version just a few seconds before that is more of an Ah moment.

SPOTTED:
No

Bad overlays: where have they gone?

Good overlays: More Legs and Co!

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

COMMENT:  Sometimes taking the song title literately has a detrimental effect on the choreography. This is a good case in point as the finished product with its darkness makes for unenjoyable viewing. I never choose to play this at all, but thats just me. Maybe others can find positives.

CHAMPAGNE:  Nope.

OTHER LIKES: The outfits are rather wasted on this.

SPOTTED:    Not sure the presenter will be so keen on tackling that audience girl !

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

COMMENT: A non-dancey song spawns an imperfect dance-noir

CHAMPAGNE: The opening vista

OTHER LIKES:  I'm sorry but not very much I can think of

SPOTTED: A bit of a messy finish

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

Doc
PattiforPM wrote
SPOTTED: A bit of a messy finish
An understatement if ever there was one. It’s a bit like ‘we’ve got to pack the last 2 minutes into 60 seconds as were short of time this week’.

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

Everything'sRosie
COMMENT: This is how I imagined the Raymond Revue Bar would look, though it was probably entirely different. Never went.

CHAMPAGNE: The opening shot when the girls peel away leaving a bent in two Rosie with her back to us. Very seductive.

OTHER LIKES: Actually, some of the overlays are pretty effective. I have no objection when on occasion the girls are stripped of their much-loved personalities and presented instead as the sultry female form gyrating to the beat of the music.

SPOTTED: The synchro is a bit out in places otherwise nothing.

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

The Rubberband Man
COMMENT: Superbly choreographed routine to an impossible to dance to song, although the execution is not quite all it could be.

CHAMPAGNE: …keeping it for another night.

OTHER LIKES: Nothing…. maybe Patti Smith…. need to listen to more of her stuff....

SPOTTED: The lighting engineer’s got it easy as all the lights are at ground level – no step ladders required.

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

AC/PD
COMMENT:  Gives the aura of a powerful Legs & Co. cabaret performance shot on film for greater presence authenticity.

CHAMPAGNE:  Only if Gill was clearer to see in the opening pose.

OTHER LIKES: The overlays help produce a James Bond opening titles style.
                     The twirling effect upon the beads.
SPOTTED: Rosie offering a pre-commencement place to park a Penny Farthing bicycle.

Re: 40th 27/04/78: Because The Night

I do like some of the overlays as I said above. The later ones just take over the screen, block out the dancers and make for a confusing display. They would have worked better had they been in the background.