Quantcast

40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc

Once again we have David Hamilton to thank for saving a show. The BBC were not going to repeat it as it's off a home video tape, but a number of complaints made them change their mind. Unfortunately they messed around with the colour because I'm told David's video has a much better picture. But we're lucky to have it so I'm not complaining.

SUMMARY: A pleasant dance that I'm glad we got a 2nd chance to see.

CHAMPAGNE: Gill's new hairdo that only seemed to last a week.

SPOTTED: I think there is a chance that this may be a dress rehearsal that was used instead of the actual one. A couple of reasons, firstly no sign of any audience and secondly several objects can be seen near the stage. There is something silver at the back on the right and to the right of the stage there is something that looks like a plant pot or paint tin.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: A comment about the dance, anything you want to say.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from the routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in the routine?
(you don't have to do all sections if you don't want to)

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

The Rubberband Man
SUMMARY: Nice balletic style choreography that matches the sentiments of the song perfectly.

CHAMPAGNE: When the girls individually turn and give that welcoming smile at the start of the routine (especially when the third girl turns)

SPOTTED: Someone’s left a flower pot, offstage, on the right hand side.... Doc's mentioned it already.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

The Rubberband Man wrote
SPOTTED: Someone’s left a flower pot, offstage, on the right hand side.... Doc's mentioned it already.
It could be Phil Collins paint tin before he adopted it. There's something in front of it that blocks the bottom corner and makes it look like a plant pot.

There's two objects there and they can just be seen at the end.

Here's the other unusual object at the back.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

The Rubberband Man wrote
CHAMPAGNE: When the girls individually turn and give that welcoming smile at the start of the routine (especially when the third girl turns)
I was sold at No.1.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc wrote
I think there is a chance that this may be a dress rehearsal that was used instead of the actual one. A couple of reasons, firstly no sign of any audience
Legs & Co only danced infront of a `visible to the camera` TOTPs audience on 93 occasions, out of what, getting on for 300 routines. So in that respect seeing no studio audience on camera was more usual and for me cant be used as a barometer to determine whether the footage is from a rehearsal. They are pretty much faultless here and putting every effort into it, so for me this is the real deal. Wonder what others think ?

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc
They normally only left the paint tins out for Phil Collins though.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc
It would be interesting to know how often the dance was recorded before the audience had arrived.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Suefan
I tend to agree with Ryan but I shall add this query to those already being considered for me by la bella ragazza secondo nella linea!

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Well by my calculations, around 66% of the time. Obviously some of those were artsy routines that had to be filmed prior to the show, but some like this were either filmed in a dark corner during the show or filmed say an hour prior and then cut into the taping. If the latter was the case, then the six dancers probably didn't mind so much as they could go home earlier !

Another thing that puts me of this being a rehearsal is the fact the girls are obviously giving it 100%. We have seen on Pans rehearsals that they sometimes noticeably eased of a gear, but no sign of that on this.

Then again to counter balance that argument, a few of us have watched the rehearsal for the Legs routine `The Mighty Power Of Love` and in that they appeared to be giving it there all. Only one person will know the answer for sure. A good chance to shine the Sue-light at the sky !

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

I think you're probably right and I would have not even thought about it had it not been for the unusual objects left in the studio.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Another thing that puts me of this being a rehearsal is the fact the girls are obviously giving it 100%. We have seen on Pans rehearsals that they sometimes noticeably eased of a gear, but no sign of that on this.

Then again to counter balance that argument, a few of us have watched the rehearsal for the Legs routine `The Mighty Power Of Love` and in that they appeared to be giving it there all. Only one person will know the answer for sure. A good chance to shine the Sue-light at the sky !
The Pan's performance to Who Loves You is most likely a rehearsal performance and you wouldn't be able to tell. It's only when Sue was asked about the woman near the stage that it came to light. If I had to choose I'd say that it was recorded before the audience got there and the stage hands hadn't finished clearing up.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

SUMMARY: Yes Diddy David, they are lovely.

CHAMPAGNE: The start as they each turn around. A screen-capers paradise.

SPOTTED: When the routine first starts, look closely, there is a fellow in white at the very bottom left of the screen. Though as our host says, the routine is then audience free.

Screen Capers sounds like the bit at the end of the Benny Hill show!

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc wrote
The Pan's performance to Who Loves You is most likely a rehearsal performance and you wouldn't be able to tell.
Obviously you haven't watched Lee closely enough.
Vin

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

SPOTTED: When the routine first starts, look closely, there is a fellow in white at the very bottom left of the screen. Though as our host says, the routine is then audience free.
Good spot, he was only there for a few frames.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

VintageVideos wrote
Doc wrote
Obviously Flick did!

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc wrote
The Pan's performance to Who Loves You is most likely a rehearsal performance and you wouldn't be able to tell.
Well thats similar to this. It gets the full presenter intro, then cuts straight to the routine. That suggests to me that that and GIWMEO to name but two, are routines that were filmed prior to the show. It could just simply be that they are dress rehearsals that were so well performed, that production decided that there was no need to perform again on the show taping. Hence the bucket on this, and the Babs look-a-like woman on WLY. I mean, who would have noticed such small details as that when the show went out. These routines were disposable, and not intended to be shown again in the dim and distant future.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Excuse my ignorance but I can't remember the story - I reckon Flick was "the woman"?
Vin

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Doc
SF asked Sue if it was Babs as it looks a bit like her but I think she said it was one of the dressmakers and they had used a rehearsal for the show for some reason. It's on the forum somewhere.

Re: 40th 31/03/77: Going In With My Eyes Open

Legsfan
SUMMARY: Thank you Mr. Hamilton for saving these six beautiful ladies!

CHAMPAGNE: The beginning when they turn around.

SPOTTED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNa4aIEUeKs
                Someone did a comparison between BBC Four and the original tape.
                Which highlights a huge contrast difference.