40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Doc
11/11/76
Well ?????? finally stop being annoymous a week late and the winning choice was from a young lady called Elaine Coombs, who chose the name Legs and Co. Now what did the BBC do with this momentous event, yes they deleted it! Now that's where everyone thought it had ended until a few years ago, when with the help of the lists of missing routines compiled by contibutors to this site, it was discovered that a large chunk of this weeks L&C dance was actually on a tape given to one of the dancers when leaving the show.
Now this is interesting to think about, because if the tape was one given to say Pauline it would probably have been produced on her departure in the Spring of 1981. This would mean that the missing 1976 episodes survived unwiped until well into the 1980's. A time that the BBC had supposed realised the error of their ways!

Legs and Co danced to:
Hank C Burnette - Spinning Rock Boogie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cri83QCY4Io

New Number 1!
Chicago - If You Leave Me Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ykMNtzMT8

No.1: I didn't like it in 1976 but it's grown on me since.
SUMMARY: Speedy!
CHAMPAGNE: A glass to those responsible for it staying partially out of the bin.
SPOTTED: Sue spotted that the sound is about 0.25 sec out on some of the on line copies, my musical ear is not good enough to tell if the link I put up has that problem.

Comments for the following please
No.1: One line comment.
SUMMARY: One line comment.
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from either routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in either routine?

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Suefan
I'm not sure we can assume that the entire programme survived and existed in full for some kindly VT editor to dip into at the appropriate moment in creating his leaving gift.  From my understanding of the breed they are much more likely to have cut out the bit they wanted to keep back in the day and chucked the rest of the show (which is what I would have done!)

No.1: That chap needed to get his hair cut!
SUMMARY: Super speedy!
CHAMPAGNE: I love it all, although the background/floor decoration makes me dizzy.
SPOTTED: Sue has the blue belt, yes!

It seems a bit strange that you would keep a segment of a routine just to produce a tape for the girls in 5 years time and then dispose of it. It's a bit like the Barry White white leotards dance from 74, that still existed at the BBC in 78 when the VT bloopers tape was made. (Although I could understand why someone in VT might make a personal copy of that one).

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Suefan
What I envisaged happened is that one or more of the VT guys would have kept each or most of the dance routines at the time they were first broadcast, transferring them to their own compilation collections as the weeks rolled by.  And it is from these compiled tapes that the 'dancers tapes' were ultimately constructed.  If you have seen one in full the way the cuts were made and how they go from one dance to another would I suggest lend some weight to my theory.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Doc
I suppose only the VT engineers could have said for sure. If so I wonder what happened to the tapes, I'm guessing that the Levine tape was once a VT engineers personal collection.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

No.1: Like a lot of the 76 number ones, sounds better some 40 years on.

SUMMARY: Just makes one yearn for the other 50% of it, guess that sounds greedy knowing a few years back we didn't have this 50%.

CHAMPAGNE: The Gill brow moping moment.

SPOTTED: Sue getting the name of this song wrong on the Blue Peter clip that some of you saw at the OFTDs event, when they were asked by Simon Groome about their hardest song they've performed to. `Spinning Wheel Boogie`, bless her.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

The Rubberband Man
No.1: If she's leaving you mate, it may be for the best in the long term

SUMMARY: Rockabilly record at 78 and perfect sync from newly named Legs & Co.

CHAMPAGNE: A drink of Champagne, beer, coke with ice, or water definitely needed for the girls after this energetic routine.

SPOTTED: Another Sue and Lulu Dream Team moment.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Everything'sRosie

Number One: Yawn. About time for punk rock methinks.

Champagne: River dancing. Were you watching this Michael Flattely?

Spotted: Gill loses her way at 55 secs (I'm not surprised)

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Mikey
No.1: Like it
SUMMARY: Excellent high speed jig
CHAMPAGNE: Gills 'phew' moment
SPOTTED: Steve Lamacq (6 music) plays this tune every Friday

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Legsfan
No.1: Not that bad.
SUMMARY: Fun and crazy!
CHAMPAGNE: Gill at 1.28
SPOTTED: No arrests have been made on the crime of wiping such a historic moment.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

No.1:  Not great but the best Cetera whine

SUMMARY: Fast, frenetic and funny

CHAMPAGNE: Gill's balloon blowing face

SPOTTED: What with the squares and zigzags in the set design and the crazy fast music I'm amazed the ladies stayed on track

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

Old Grey Whistler
No.1: I like it.
SUMMARY: A difficult early test for the newly monikered troupe, which they passed with flying colours.
CHAMPAGNE: It has to be Gill's moment, though there are many other good bits.
SPOTTED: It is not only the girls who are mesmerising. So is the patterned floor and walls.

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

No 1: A decent enough slow ballad.

SUMMARY: Wow, this is fast, those girls were super fit.

CHAMPAGNE: Gill's comedy face moment.

SPOTTED: The two tone ska walls and floor, three years before their time!

Re: 40th Anniversary 11/11/76: Spinning Rock Boogie

AC/PD
No.1: Heartachingly magnificent - from the same rejection stable as Without You and All By Myself (sob)
SUMMARY: Dizzying enough for the viewers, let alone the performers. No wonder Sue said on the Blue Peter segment
                 shown at past OFTD events that it was too fast to complete in one take.
CHAMPAGNE: Gill's cartoon "Phew!" moment. Suitable for the nutty sound effects.
SPOTTED: A little too much snipped from Pauline's fringe.