40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Doc
14/10/76
What was I doing 40 years ago? Normally I wouldn't have a clue, but for some strange reason I remember watching the TOTP chart countdown and then I went out! No idea what I did after that. How do some people supposedly remember events in the past so precisely? No idea, but that's another debate. What I did do was miss a significant show, firstly Abba were finally knocked off the top of the chart being replaced by Dutch country band Pussycat (not many Dutch bands get to No.1 in the UK) and secondly Ruby Flipper quietly slipped into history with no fanfare at all. No doubt many top brass at the BBC breathed a sigh of relief, not realising the main reason for their objections would be a recurring guest on the show for a number of years yet. So it's goodbye to Phil and see you in few weeks to Floid.

Ruby Flipper danced to:
Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQozN54W8U

Lulu danced to:
Simon May - The Summer Of My Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrt3QIQlKg

New No.1
Pussycat - Mississipi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEPIpTpoPs

No.1: Surprisingly catchy. The modern term would be an 'earworm'.
Funky Music
SUMMARY: A good finale
CHAMPAGNE: Floid's reaction to the 'white boy' line
SPOTTED: All present and correct!

Summer
SUMMARY: Simon's voice needed a bit of retuning.
CHAMPAGNE: Lulu appearing, thank god!
SPOTTED: The upturned collar trend.
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

No.1: I forgot they were Dutch.

`Play That Funky Music`

SUMMARY: The disgruntled viewers and BBC light entertainment bigwigs of 1976 will be happy, finally they've levered Ruby Flipper from our screens, but not before another excellent routine.

CHAMPAGNE: The `slink through` in between the two boys by the nubile Lulu. Now thats how to walk.

SPOTTED: Patti wearing a red Cherry broach. In honour of the recently departed dance troupe member or the bands name, obviously the latter !

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

I make a surprise return!
No.1: It's a no from me.
SUMMARY: Goodbye Ruby Flipper it was a good knowing you this Summer.
CHAMPAGNE: Floid at the white boy moment.
SPOTTED: I miss Cherry

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Doc
Legsfan wrote
SPOTTED: I miss Cherry
My first favourite when I was about 8. Who knew that even better was to come!
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

PattiforPM
in May 1976?

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

No.1:  Dutch Country Song - who knew?

Funky Music

SUMMARY: A slinky classic with three red hot ladies

CHAMPAGNE:  Sue and Phil in a nice clinch

SPOTTED: I love those booties (1970s booty don't you know)

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

PattiForPM wrote
in May 1976?
May 73
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Summer Of My Life

SUMMARY: `Simon Says` my future lay in song writing rather than my singing.

CHAMPAGNE: Difficult to find any fizz in this champagne, but Lulu helps add a bit of sparkle to it.

SPOTTED: The coloured studio wall set reminds me of that most addictive of games, Candy Crush.

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Gorgeous Daze
NO.1: A non-guilty pleasure and a bit of a tearjerker that skillfully taps into a universal sense of loss. 9/10

Play That Funky Music

SUMMARY: RF go out in vintage style.

CHAMPAGNE: All of it really but I particularly like how Patti finishes it all centre stage.

SPOTTED: Nothing today.

The Summer Of My Life

SUMMARY: Shy public schoolboy pours out his secret diary - badly.

CHAMPAGNE: A little Babycham at times.

SPOTTED: Girls think you're cool if you wear your collar up.

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

PattiforPM
Summer

SUMMARY:  If this was the Summer  of his life God alone knows how the Winter went

CHAMPAGNE:  Strictly Teetotal on this one

SPOTTED: I think I did well to watch the whole thing with sound on

Scientists have been studying a real made up condition where if you watch the song with Lulu removed your head explodes.
Still living in 1979

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

PattiforPM
Yes sorry Doc I should have given the lovely Lulu credit for making this less of a health risk

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Mikey
No.1: Not bad, but thats the weirdest set i've ever seen

Funky Music
SUMMARY: Lively end to an interesting but brief era of TOTP dancers, like the outfits too
CHAMPAGNE: Blowing a goodbye kiss (er you'll be back next week ladies)
SPOTTED: Floyds rather odd shoes

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Old Grey Whistler
No.1: Quite good
Summer
SUMMARY: Lulu does her best to salvage something from this mess.
CHAMPAGNE: This is no time for champagne.
SPOTTED:  Nothing, but I thank the lord that they didn't use this for the EastEnders theme.

Play that funky music

SUMMARY: Ruby Flipper go out with a bang.
CHAMPAGNE: When Lulu slinks between Phil and Floid, and Floid's 'white boy' moment.
SPOTTED: An awful lot of red.

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

The Rubberband Man
No.1 – Bad song, but I do like hearing the honky-tonk guitar.

Play That Funky Music

SUMMARY: So sad to see the end of Ruby Flipper, but they go out with a bang with a really excellent routine in which everyone gives it 110%

CHAMPAGNE: Lulu’s sexy walk between Phil and Floyd

SPOTTED: The irony of Cherry being part of RF’s final routine, even if it’s just the name of the band.

Summer Of My Life

SUMMARY: Fabulous dance routine from Lulu that’s spoiled by an overlong introduction from a bad pianist / singer, and other lengthy close-ups of said bad singer / pianist throughout the routine.

CHAMPAGNE: A glass of Champagne at 1:16, a glass of champagne at 2:25, and another glass of champagne at 3:56.

SPOTTED: Simon May has that Ready Brek glow round about him.

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

AC/PD
No.1 : Cheerful, rolling melancholy with some catchy guitar work.
           Prefer the Crazy Boat ranch promo not least because it serves as a reminder both of the days when TOTP
          repeats were pure in running order availability and  also of unique chance to televise the Legs & Co. from their inception onward.

Play That Funky Music

SUMMARY: A Flipper finale.
CHAMPAGNE: Poured for the duration of the initial Chorus.
SPOTTED: Identical dance moves and positions at both ends of the routine.
         The overhead monitor at the point when 'they were dancing'.
         The back of Phil's jacket advertising his availability for Pantomimes after tonight.  (Maybe not.) The last word says "Bike"
         but there's no confirmation of it being preceded by "On Yer".

Summer Of My Life

SUMMARY: With only a Lulu you could bottle, please keep the Summer of your life to yourself.
CHAMPAGNE: It's in the bottle.
SPOTTED: Simon likes belts even less than Gill does.

Re: 40th Anniversary 14/10/76: Play That Funky Music

Dancer
No.1 :   A song that had been blanked by EMI.  They were not interested in this at all and along came a minor record label and made it No.1.  Not keen when it was No.1 but it grew on me years later.

Wild Cherry

SUMMARY: Sad it was their last dance but they gave it their all.  Excellent routine.  Not quite so keen on the song even though it made No.1 in America.  Never heard of the artist(s) again.
CHAMPAGNE: Outfits and moves.
SPOTTED: Nothing at all.  Remember feeling very sad when this was televised.  Got so used to them by this time.

Simon May

SUMMARY:  Lovely song released just in time for Autumn and the holiday returners.  Really tore at your heart strings if you had lost love.
CHAMPAGNE: Sexy guy on piano showing his lovely hairy chest.  More nice looking than Bobby Crush.  Lulu in the background too but would have liked to have seen more of her.  My initial thought would be for her to be on the piano.

SPOTTED: Simon could not mime very well.  Far too interested in making love to the camera really which I think he did given the songs huge leap in the charts.