Quantcast

40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

26/08/76

This weeks episode could almost be called the Ruby Flipper show with 4 appearances. The first was a repeat of 'You Should Be Dancing'. The second was a solo, the third will be subject to a later post and the final was supporting the crowd dancing to the number one.

Patti danced to:
Acker Bilk - Aria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZE-Ya02ZtQ

Ruby Flipper danced to:
Elton John and Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MOm8R22_k

CHAMPAGNE: The Morning Glory outfits getting a reprise.
SPOTTED: Towards the end of Don't Go Breaking Heart Cherry looks to her right at someone and appears give a what am I supposed to do gesture with her hand. No idea why.

Comments for the following please
SUMMARY: No need to come up with one for these unless you want to!
CHAMPAGNE: Favorite moment from either routine.
SPOTTED: See anything unusual in either routine?

Re: 40th Anniversary: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

The Rubberband Man
CHAMPAGNE: Not many moments, but watching Edmonds embarrassing that girl deserves a mention.

SPOTTED: The audience’s lack of enthusiasm and interest at the start of the routine - there’s a girl standing next to Sue with her arms folded looking bored out her skull. However, towards the end, the audience get their act together and everyone’s clapping and leg kicking in unison in a proper way.

Re: 40th Anniversary: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Mikey
For DGBMH

SUMMARY: Great feelgood end of show knees up.
CHAMPAGNE: Lulus little kiss for the camera
SPOTTED: Cherry looks a bit embarrassed at the end, dont worry you'll be back in the dressing room in 5 minutes

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

For Aria

SUMMARY: Ackar & Sydney on top form
CHAMPAGNE: I really like the Patti on one leg stuff, she really was very good at doing that.
SPOTTED: Nah, can't say i did.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

For `Don't Go Breaking My Heart`

SUMMARY: No Noel, we dont want to see the same film of Elton & Kiki again.

CHAMPAGNE: The key giving by Floid. Note how he gives both Sue & Cherry a key in each of his hands, and not just Cherry as was once suggested by a couple of troublesome imps who used to post on here in the olden days.

SPOTTED: Apart from Edmonds pathetic attempts to impress the audience girls during the song, i noticed an unusual thing. Its not very often on TOTPs you see a girl in the audience dancing with her handbag (purse to our American friends) tucked under her arm.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Dancer
SUMMARY: A lovely change from the boring video we had seen copious times.

CHAMPAGNE: All of it.  Lovely impromptu routine that made me like the song though I still never bought it.  The team seemed to enjoy themselves

SPOTTED:  The audience going from glue on their feet to all having a good time.  A real good ending.  Full marks to Noel for geeing them up.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Dancer
Aria

SUMMARY: A lovely tune with added strings and the lovely Patti giving it 100%.

CHAMPAGNE: The whole routine.  Would have liked to have seen more of Patti really.  In an ideal world there was no need for Acker to have been there.

SPOTTED: Patti's wedges straight out of the Littlewoods catalogue.  Lovely hair style too which I believe was Ruth's mother's creation.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Aria

SUMMARY:  Woodwind and Grace

CHAMPAGNE:  Sydney's Miraculous One Leg Turns

SPOTTED:  Nope

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

SUMMARY:  The ultimate crowd-watching dance.  It's like a mini-soap opera

CHAMPAGNE:  Sue's boundless enthusiasm

SPOTTED:  I struck out again sorry

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Noel was certainly making that girl laugh in the pale blue twinset (Marshall Ward style). He certainly knew how to make them laugh and enjoy themselves which is what was needed really given how fed up we all were of this song.  Best programme of 1976.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Old Grey Whistler
Aria

SUMMARY:  Less Acker and more Patti would have been preferable.
CHAMPAGNE: Patti swivelling with one leg in the horizontal position.
SPOTTED: Not a lot to spot!

DGBMH

SUMMARY:  A nice way to end the show but shame the picture stops when the credits roll.
CHAMPAGNE: Nothing really.
SPOTTED: A very tanned and relaxed looking Cherry.

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

AC/PD
Aria

SUMMARY: Step right up for a Summertime sound from a circus showman
CHAMPAGNE: Patti's nonchalance at her own 45 degree leg capability
SPOTTED: Snot Sidney. It's Patti
                Is Acker travelling down in a glass elevator?

Re: 40th Anniversary 26/08/76: Aria/Don't Go Breaking My Heart

AC/PD
Don't Go Breaking My Heart

SUMMARY: Summer's out for school.
CHAMPAGNE: Lulu's glint
SPOTTED: 'Kevin Beattie' at the 1:08 mark.