4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Doc
This week we 'celebrate' the 40th Anniversary of the last lost full routine from TOTPs. Anything that was wiped by the BBC following this date has managed to survive in some form on home video tapes, either by home recording or on tapes made for the dancers.

16/09/76
Ruby Flipper danced to:
Gheorge Zamfir - Light Of Experience  'Doina De Jale'

Don't remember it? Well neither did I until I listened to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UM67d3A94
Still living in 1979

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Well on clicking your link Doc, i have to say i don't remember the piece of music. The mind boggles wondering what the routine must have looked like and its difficult trying to visualize anything.

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Old Grey Whistler
Yes, I'm not familiar with this piece of music either although it sounds like something that I would expect to hear on a stress relief tape. I would imagine that the routine would have had a balletic theme to it with the boys perhaps being used to hoist the girls aloft at various points. Probably completely wrong though!

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

I see Floid dressed in a Llama suit and the rest of the Troupe as High Andean Shepherds trying to herd him to safety

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Gorgeous Daze
Don't remember it either. Surprised rather generic sounding panpipes became a hit. I'm imagining a graceful if slightly dull female solo on an atmospheric set with landscape back projection. But something's telling me we might have information this was a group dance.

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

VintageVideos
I think it became a hit because it was the theme for the BBC TV series "The Light of Experience".
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Mikey
This reminds me of some blokes (presumably from the Andes or somewhere) that used to busk with Panpipes in Brighton town centre when i lived there about 20 years ago, only i was never sure if it was live or they were just playing a CD in the background

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Thanks Vin, don't remember that programme either. Seems quite a few instrumental hits owed their success to TV. Chi Mai, Gordon Gilstrap's Heartsong, that Hong Kong thing from 78...

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Shame that this routine is missing
This is music for herding Alpacas from the mountains back to the farm.
Would make an interesting routine.
PS. My vote for DotD goes to the champion Alpaca farmer.... Lulu

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

VintageVideos
This track would obviously be more suitable for Pan's People (sorry couldn't resist).
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: 4th Anniversary 16/09/76: Light Of Experience 'Doina De Jale'

Dancer
Just clicked on this link and remember the tune so well.  It is so relaxing and "chilling".  Certainly a tune to wake up to.  Really beautiful.  I don't have this single in my collection.  I would envisage the girls potentially embarking on a ballet dance to this - something along the lines of Cavatina.  I don't remember the actual routine at all.