69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Old Grey Whistler
69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT
Original Broadcast Date:  17/04/74
Troupe: Pans People
Dancers: Dee Dee & Louise
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjxtvOAww1M

On the first day of 1973, Britain joined the EEC. This should now be referred to as Brentry.  On the second day of 1973 came the first recorded use of the term 'Eurosceptic'. On the final day of 1973 something more momentous happened, though at the time only BBC technical staff and a couple of coachloads of pensioners were aware…
It is time to return to the Pans People concert and to listen to another offering from our old friend, Buddy Miles.  I find it quite surprising that this was filmed on New Year’s Eve but I expect the technical staff were being paid well for their time. Actually that is probably why the audience was so old - all the young people were busy celebrating the New Year.
This concert was mentioned quite extensively in their book, with Babs describing it as’ the pinnacle of their career’ and Dee Dee saying that ‘in some ways it was the climax of Pans People’
I’m not sure if the freestanding candles would pass current Health and Safety regulations and with all those fabrics around it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Luckily the only thing on fire on this occasion was the dancers.

There are certain things that I look for in any dance routine. I like where possible for all dancers to be present. I also don’t think it is a good idea when the dancers are not stood up at all. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule. Make It With You is good and A Fifth Of Beethoven was quite cleverly done, but I can’t think of any others offhand. I also tend to appreciate the routine more if I like the music, which in this case I don’t. So based on those guidelines I should be giving this a low score.
There are some minor synchronisation issues between the dancers but you get that in most routines and it doesn’t spoil the enjoyment. The costumes were apparently the most expensive ever made for Pans People. It is interesting to see the different ways in which the dancers approached this, with Dee Dee being quite smiley while Louise has a much more brooding sultry look.
By the time this was broadcast, Louise only had a handful of appearances left on TOTP so in many ways this was a fitting climax for her.

I wonder how many seconds of this performance had elapsed before Mary Whitehouse was on the phone to the BBC.
From my point of view I have had to rip up all my guidelines as this is a mesmerising performance, which was not just the highlight of the concert, but one of the big highlights of the entire Pans People era. It fully deserves to score 10 out of 10. I await your scores and comments with interest.
By the way, you know you are getting old when you start admiring the cushions almost as much as the dancers!

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Ooh, its a bit naughty isn't it. I can well see why Mrs Whitehouse would be firing off a letter of complaint to the director general. Its the sort of thing that Mum would be tutting and moaning about, Dad would be pretending not to be watching but clearly is and us young lads would be watching keenly, whilst shuffling in our seats hoping mum and dad would leave the room so we could enjoy even more.

I guess if the phrase `Pans People concert` is mentioned to television dance fans like us, the first thing that would resonate in our heads would be the Dee Dee/Louise cavort fest. Its very much the stand-out moment in the whole thing.

But unlike our host im not going to be dishing out a maximum. Sure its a real treat to watch these two sexy ladies doing their stuff wearing next to nothing, but its no great feat of choreography.

A rather prudish `8.5 out of 10` from me.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
Here we have the infamous 'cushions' routine (as called by Dee Dee) from Pan's People In Concert. The one that used to illustrate (as if it was necessary) that it was well within the grasp of Pans or indeed any of the main TOTP dance troupes to serve up some raunch if required with suitable aplomb.

It's another one of those slightly bizarre soundtracks that I'm sure I wouldn't be at all familiar with it it wasn't for the association with the ladies. Certainly, the In Concert programme had more than it's fair share of them and this was the closest Louise got to a solo spot as afforded everyone else, not that I mind Dee Dee's presence one jot. In fact, if you were going to pick just two of the troupe that could tackle this kind of thing easiest of all then I expect we would agree with Flick's choice of Louise and Dee Dee.

In later years Flick would reflect on the content of the In Concert and admit that the route taken was rather too arty and that it would have been better to concentrate on more of this type of popular performance - the mind boggles at what may have resulted if this had been the feeling back in 1973/74 ! As it is, 69 Freedom Special is undoubtedly the most memorable part of the programme as viewed from today. Having said that, the slight negatives include the soundtrack itself which is OK but not fantastic (although certainly better in remastered form than the crackly, tinny broadcast audio) and the fact that three of the ladies aren't involved. Those are the reasons I can't quite give this full marks... even if Louise is smouldering! 9.5

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
Having now read your intro OGW, a couple of things... Firstly, apologies for picking a similar frame grab to one of yours... I can change it if your prefer. Secondly, only the finale of the show with the audience was recorded on New Year's Eve.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Mikey
PansLegs wrote
Secondly, only the finale of the show with the audience was recorded on New Year's Eve.
Would that be everything from 'There Are Smiles' onwards?

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs please please don't take that picture down.  I think OGW has already forgiven the repetition

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
PansLegs wrote
Secondly, only the finale of the show with the audience was recorded on New Year's Eve.
Would that be everything from 'There Are Smiles' onwards?
I was forgetting "There are Smiles" didn't got straight into the finale but of course "noises" is in between. Only the two audience present items are definitely New Year's Eve.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Everything'sRosie
The music might not be up to much, but that's all that is wrong. My two favourite girls from early Pans go full-throttle erotica. It could have been sleazy, yet it manages to stay onboard the good ship Artistic Integrity. That candle flame was getting so excited it almost snuffed itself out! The haremesque setting is all a bit naughty on its own, but those outfits, phew, they seemed to be clinging to all that silky flesh by the resilience of coiled metal alone. I think Flick was testing the water here, sic, how far can I actually go. And God bless her cotton socks for her daring. Has to be 10/10

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs wrote
Having now read your intro OGW, a couple of things... Firstly, apologies for picking a similar frame grab to one of yours... I can change it if your prefer. Secondly, only the finale of the show with the audience was recorded on New Year's Eve.
Thanks for the info PansLegs. There is no need to replace your screencap. It is good to see it in extra clarity.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Yes, on a second look the 'Noises' thing would be without the audience. Additionally there was something rather strange i noticed on 'smiles' at the start they are dancing on a chequerboard floor which is the same as the opening dance, but after the 30 seconds or so of the audience it switches to the grey floor seen on other dances and of course now has the lyrics sheet behind, almost like they joined the 2 segments together to make it look a bit more live.

Edit - it only just occurred to me this press photo is the same as the 'Smiles' ending, so we should be able to get a pretty accurate date for that one.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Flick's evening in a bedouin tent fantasy come to life !  9.5.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

I was going to try to conceal my liking for scantily clad rhythmically moving beauties and a dance that I watch quite a lot but I can't   10/10

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Gorgeous Daze
Aah the legendary Cushion Dance in all its Eastern allure. One imagines the reconnecting visitor unversed in the evolution of OFTD would wonder why it's taken over seven years to get its own thread!

Given the hip-swivelling honours in costumes as minimal as the numbers who could Name That Tune, Dee Dee and Louise make for a very complementary pairing. Louise in full sultry mode, Dee Dee with a conspiratorial wink to those lucky boys at home. It's a sight to behold alright, an idea as flammable as it is infallible, appealing tastefully to raw instinct and igniting the brightest of licks in the permanent flame of fans' hearts.

Very effective then even if fairly basic in technique. Although these 161 seconds one questions the need for more than one sense, my only significant negative is the tune, I've heard many many easier on the ears. It should have been abandoned in '69 if you ask me.

8.75

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

I've been struggling for the right words for a whole week now, but I'm afraid there is no other way than to be outspoken: I've never really liked this performance. I can't even say exactly why, but it leaves me stone-cold. It may surprise a few members when I say that "69 Freedom Special" is a clip that I hardly ever (or to be precise: never) play.
Yes I understand what others have said about the costumes, the stimulating moves, etc. etc. I can see all this. But for me it just doesn't work. It doesn't grab me. One reason is definitely the music: it's absolutely horrible and grates on me from the first second onwards. But there must be something else which I can't explain.

I've just watched it, probably for the first time in years, and I'm afraid I won't play it again any time soon. I wouldn't mind a wallpaper from this routine but the performance itself gets no more than

7 / 10

(And no beast from the east in sight)

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
I've been struggling for the right words for a whole week now, but I'm afraid there is no other way than to be outspoken: I've never really liked this performance. I can't even say exactly why, but it leaves me stone-cold.
Translated >> No Ruth!

Seriously though, the In Concert is almost a rebelling against having to dance to 4 years worth of chart hits. As if Flick went into full avant garde/art mode, which I can understand in order to grab the opportunity to showcase the full range of her talents as well as the dancers but in some ways it goes against the grain. To a degree, everything in the show is at odds with what we generally know and love Pan's People for.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PattiforPM
Well I wouldn't have guessed this was not a Vin fave but there it is.  Flick certainly did have a penchant for odd music choices when given freedom to browse.  With so many great album tracks or less popular records to choose from it is rather odd that she came up with these but I suppose they do allow Pans to show a whole other talent-set as PansLegs says.  I wonder what the TV audience at the time thought?

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

PansLegs wrote
Translated >> No Ruth!
That's it!

PansLegs wrote
To a degree, everything in the show is at odds with what we generally know and love Pan's People for.
Good point.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Old Grey Whistler
Right then chaps. I hate to be pushy but it is 12 days since anyone left a rating and I would really like a few more. I must admit that this was one performance that I wasn't expecting trouble in getting responses for.
As ever, a big thank you to those of you who have already contributed.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

I wanted to wait until I was able to give a more in depth appraisal of the routine. But if I may be so bold to give a quick comment, I would like to say that this is one of my favourite routines. The setting is very appropriate, and I can live with the music.
So, for me it will be a 10/10.
I understand that no DOTD is allowed for this routine, but Louise is stellar and so appealing in this, and Dee Dee is not far behind either.
A great and memorable outing for the two chosen ones for this number.

I have edited this to change my rating as the previous mark did no do this routine justice. This is a ‘10 out of tenner’ if ever I saw one.

Re: 69 FREEDOM SPECIAL - PANS PEOPLE IN CONCERT

Legsfan
Sorry OGW for being late to comment.
This wouldn't be allowed on TV these days! I just can't believe how Pan's People got away with this dance. Louise and Dee Dee look lovely, but the naked flames were quite worrying like if a camera knocked it over. All those cushions look quite flammable!
I must admit I have never watched Pan's People in concert, but after seeing this wonderful dance I think I will this evening if it is still somewhere on the internet.
I must say that Louise really puts the effort into this dance and if DOTD was in operation, she would be the number one choice every time.
I don't think I can comment on what they were wearing, but I can say that Louise and Dee Dee do a really good job to interpret this track. Finally, Pan's People can dance to something other than the top thirty!
Rating: 10/10

(Thanks for the HQ screengrabs PansLegs)