6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

The 6th of June as far as im concerned is a very famous date indeed. 70 years ago brave allied forces swept onto the beaches of Normandy to begin ridding Western Europe of fascist tyranny. It could be argued that day was the most important ever in the history of mankind and it later became known of course as D-Day. Just checking on Wikipedia for any other important events on the 6th of the 6th and it becomes apparent there ain't to many to choose from.

Fast forward 30 years to the 6th of June 1974. Just another ordinary day in June, with the exception that its the 30th anniversary from the events above. There is one other thing that happened on that date and its one that needs to be remembered on OFTDs. Yes an unknown young dancer named Sue makes her debut dancing with the famous Pans People on BBC's Top Of The Pops.

So began a seven year career on the show which saw her represent 4 of the dance troupes in total ending in the final month of 1981. Turn the clock forward 3 decades and we are still talking about that young dancer and her mates and the dances they performed. I'm not going to go off on one saying how wonderful she is and how great a dancer she was. I think everyone on this site knows anyway.

All i will say is that Sue has been a delight to converse with, both on the forum here and privately and i feel very privileged to call Sue a friend of mine and honoured she considers me the same. I know i speak for all the forum when i say--

WELL DONE TO SUE ON 40 YEARS OF MAKING US HAPPY

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Gorgeous Daze
A Happy Anniversary Sue! The undisputed favourite dancer and Queen of the forum.

And I'd like to add my thanks for all the pleasure you brought and continue to bring from those seven very special years.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

VintageVideos
Thank you Sue! We're so lucky to have you around.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

JEZ
yes if someone had told me in 1980 that one day I would be asking sue out of legs and co questions about her dances etc in another 30 odd years id never then believe that one day I would actually be talking to the good lady herself ,well sue I followed like a lot of others on here your career of dance on tv ,from pans people to ruby flipper to legs and co to finally your last dance as a zoo member and once legs and co finished on totp I continued to be a fan of the dancers as you know ,the first performance I remember you in was Elton johns ,don't let the sun go down in 1974 and to be honest I think to myself where have those 40 years gone ,anyway thanks for all the help you have given regards songs that pp danced ,thanks for all those lovely years you graced our screens on a Thursday night ,and thank you for all the support you have given to one for the dads

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Colm
Sue, thank you so much for the love, the care and the dedication you infused throughout your career as a part of the dance teams on Top of the Pops, and other television series, for us all to watch, enjoy and cherish; then, now, and hopefully into the future.

Equally, and more heartfelt, thank you for your amazing support and regular contributions to One for the Dads, and for sharing your memories and experiences so kindly, so patiently and so eloquently with all of us.

I never imagined I'd get an opportunity to interact with a true icon of TOTP in my lifetime, and you've helped make that happen, which I appreciate so much.

Take care, and whatever you're doing this Friday, especially if you're acknowledging the anniversary as we are, may you have a beautiful day.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

I'll wager that Sue had no idea at that time, that about forty years later, she'd having the occasional banter on an Internet forum, with many of her fans, & talking about the dance routines that were expected to be forgotten about, as soon as they had finished being recorded.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Yes indeed, couldn't agree more with everything Ryan has said. Thanks Sue for all of the year of pleasure your performances gave to our younger selves on Top of the Pos, and for the warmth and kinness you;ve shown us in recent years.

Such a real shame that we don't have more than a rough fragment of this momentous performance to watch.

Such a shame, yes...

You've all done vey well!

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

PattiforPM
Sue, you have entertained us and supported us like no other.  Thank you so much for all you have done and congratulations on this 40th Anniversary of your first full TOTP appearance

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Old Bill
Hear hear! I can't really add much more... except thank you!

I  take my hat off to you Sue - literally! :-) x
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

JEZ
is the summer breeze going to be re posted again for the anniversary this week ,what a pity the colour version can not be put up to celebrate sues 40th

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

just imagine a skinny boy with a stutter that was watching Legs & Co in 1977 and had an instant crush on that striking girl and who would of thought 30 years later that same boy finally gets to talk to that same girl.

The mind boggles, but here we are 30 odd years later still holding torches and burning flames for a set of young girls who's main job was to provide a dance segment to records as the band/singer/person couldn't turn up that week.

Just think over those 30 odd years the main thing that everyone remembers is the dancing girls, and who their particular favourite was and tuning in week after week to view said girls gyrating to the latest grooves (in silly costumes/sexy costumes etc etc), now with today's technology and the repeats we can evaluate these dances again albeit reviewed by middle aged men.  That is the testament of how fantastic these brief 3 min snippets had and still have on our minds, and to still talk about them is truly astonishing.

Long gone are those gangly boys now replaced by older wiser boys, but to us you are always the head girl back then as you are now, and your anniversary on Friday is really truly deserved and not forgotten by us.

Thank you for those brief early dancing years and for the last 30 odd years full of memories, and thank you for being such a valuable contributor to this fair motley band's pages.

Happy 40th Anniversary Sue

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Doubleday
Yes, I warmly second everything Ryan says ... a big Thank You, Sue

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

JEZ
according to the daily newspaper of 23rd may 1974 ,it said sue was to make her debut that night ,so as we know it didn't happen ,but the dance for that week must have been rehearsed because I think the strike of the scenerary men or whatever happened suddenly that week ,that means flick more than likely was given a record the previous week to work out a routine to before she knew of the strike ,I wonder then what sues first record would have been if there hadn't been a strike that week ,I think flick may have worked on spiders and snakes is my guess

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

The year was 1974 and on a Thursday night we would always watch Top of the Pops. And on that June we saw a young dancer. Who had just joined Pan's People, and I had become a fan of Sue from that day on. And now we come forward forty years. And I cant believe myself when I can Speak to her by this forum to this young dancer. Sue as always come over as a very nice person and as great sense of humour when she is on the site. It is so wonderful to have her on the One for the dads site. She will be a star for me always. So I congrauate you on the last forty years. To bring fun and Joy of dance to her fan.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

PaulF
I echo every comment on this thread. Congratulations and thank you Sue, You were a star then, you are a star now  and will be a star forever.
Paul

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

AC/PD
Warmest congratulations to Sue Menhenich (Daily Mail spelling) on the occasion 40 years since her small screen debut.
40 years of memories, magic moments and madness which hopefully garnered as much happiness and joy to the lady herself as it does to those who were entertained by the ultra professional dancing and entertainment she brought (and still brings) to the fans and admirers.
All good things!

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Old Grey Whistler
A very worthwhile anniversary to commemorate. On the evening of 6th June 1974 , I don't think that even Sue could have imagined that her dancing would still be giving so many people such pleasure 40 years on. It is evident that she has many fans both old and new, and it is also clear from both the Q & A sessions on this forum and the radio programmes, that the other dancers hold her in very high esteem indeed.
Thank you Sue for all the pleasure you have given us.

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Young Mister Grace
JEZ wrote
is the summer breeze going to be re posted again for the anniversary this week ,what a pity the colour version can not be put up to celebrate sues 40th
Yes, I'll repost the grainy black & white version tomorrow: it's too important an anniversary to let it go by with a mention.

And yes, it is such  a pity we don't have a colour version to watch.

Such a shame...
You've all done vey well!

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

Young Mister Grace
Such, such a shame...

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/sues-ruby-totp-anniversary.html
You've all done vey well!

Re: 6th of June 1974 (S-Day 40th anniversary)

AC/PD
You old devil, YMG!
That ellipsis should have been a clue!
A fabulous surprise to commemorate Sue's 40th anniversary.
Thanks.
123