A Rum Do

Suefan
Whilst it was good to see one of our favourite Yankees on the "That Is Your Life" I'm afraid it is time to take our diminutive Smurffer to task once again.  Having now seen all but about eight or nine, of what I call proper Legs routines (excluding distant backing appearances), I've yet to find a single instance of a complete Rosie solo.  I'm confident that of those yet to view I won't be finding one there either, unless she is the only Blue Peter.  Having been the most consistent performer over the years, with fewer show absences than any of the other girls, and she never gets her own solo.  What is going on?  Have I just forgotten one.  SF is getting on, or am I missing something?  Otherwise it's a rum do and a small black mark against FC in my book.

Re: A Rum Do

PattiforPM
Yes I think you're right SueFan and it's not the onset of senility after all.  Rosie had some duets like "Bang Bang" and "Blame it on the Boogie" (the latter one of my faves of hers) but I can't think of an example of a real solo.  She does some sterling work on "Sexy Eyes" too but it's interesting to contrast her with Gill or Pauline who both had some significant solos.  Her quality as a dancer certainly seemed to deserve the task but one wonders whether she just didn't want the gig.  If not, as you say, it could be another small imperfection in the impressive curriculum vitae of Ms Colby.

Re: A Rum Do

------------
How about the man with the child in his eyes kate bush which also has a beautiful sue solo

Re: A Rum Do

Suefan
Yes indeed Rosie has a very nice segment in the Kate Bush and in several other numbers but no actual solo when she alone had the stage to herself.  As P4pm points out she just might not have wanted one and that thought did cross my mind before I posted my opening remarks and is just as likely as she was overlooked.  However, whatever the reason it is a shame she never did one.  When she was serious I think she brought a wonderful quality of calm confident serenity to proceedings and "Sexy Eyes" belongs to her and Patti.

Re: A Rum Do

JEZ
im begining to wonder if rosie might have been the cheeky one out of troupe a bit like ryan is on here ,so pheraps on the odd occasion flick had to choose a girl to do a solo bit pheraps rosie had been sent to the naughty corner ,cant see her turning down some extra dosh for a 3 minute routine otherwise

Re: A Rum Do

late night viewer
On two occasions Pauline has the stage all to herself. Rosie surely a more accomplished dancer, did not have a moment on her own in the spotlight. How odd. Something is deficient. Was Rosie more comfortable being a team player and didn't want to give a solo performance (Rosie though seems to have enough self confidence to have undertaken a solo routine) or does it reflect a certain apathy towards her by Ms. Colby? On artistic grounds was Rosie considered the least suited for a solo number than the rest?
Did all other memebers of Legs & Co have a 'moment in the sun' with Rosie being the only exception?

Re: A Rum Do

Dave
Hi Late Night Viewer....I think the answers lie firmly at Flick Colbys door, all the decisions once having been told what the song was for that week, were hers and only hers to make....from the set design to the costumes and finally down to the routine itself. Rosie certainly had some featured highlights in certain routines and did a couple of duets...(with Sue on Blame it on the Boogie and Pauline in Bang Bang ) As to why she never got to do an actual solo has got to be down to Flicks ultimate decision I suppose. Will you be tuning in to the TOTPs repeat shows tonight ? Could be very entertaining !!    Dave.

Re: A Rum Do

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Rosie was always at her best in routines with a comic or humourous dimension to them: solo routines tended to be used for slow ballads and "serious" numbers. So if Flick was using every dancer according to their individual strengths, natural she wouldn't have too many opportunities to give Rosie a solo.
You've all done vey well!