A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Finding new topics of discussion for the dancing stuff is difficult to say the least. We have covered so much over the years we have been on OFTDs. Recently Doc has done sterling work with his Champagne moment years and that is still very much on-going and active. But ultimately the buck stops with me to come up with new ideas and to be honest the cupboard is looking mighty bear.

I have however come up with what i consider a forum winner of an idea which not only dance fans but some of our music friends can also join in with. We will also get around 8 months entertainment out of it. This is what i propose.

How about a weekly Nabble poll. The poll centres on `UK Number Ones` from 1960 to 1989, in other words the golden years of popular music. I would be asking folk to pick three favourites from a single year. I would give the poll the same time scale as the recent and successful Ruby Flipper polls which ran from Tuesdays to Friday evenings. I found them to be short and snappy and the perfect length of time.

I did consider starting at 1960 and doing each year in turn, but i think offering mystery years each week will just add to the interest. I reckon each year contains an average of 18 number ones, so i think asking for three favourites should be not to difficult a task. When we are all done and dusted, a further three polls will be required in which the decadely (not sure there is such a word) winners will be decided. That will just leave a grand poll of your favourite number one from the 60s, 70s and 80s to be determined.

This will commence on Tuesday the 2nd January.
Another thing id like to do is create a daily picture quiz similar to the ongoing Xmas quiz. I will offer up a single daily picture, only the picture will be in the style of an X-Ray. The pic could be a dancer or a routine, but i will ask that when posting it. Id like to make this last the whole year so in effect 365 pics will get the X-Ray treatment. Ive yet to iron out the format for this but im sure it will be another winner. After a while i may or may not change the X-Ray to another effect feature, Cyber-vision for example.  Anyhow this will commence on 1st of January.
Any comments on the above or any ideas for other new threads are always welcome and encouraged.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Mikey
Well the screen cap threads are always popular, and Saturday seems to be a good day for those. I don't think it matters if a topic has been used before, you could still end up with different results due to the huge number of routines available. Maybe this is something that could be fortnightly and a different person 'hosts' each time.

Another idea for nightly game based on intros' i.e if the intro was "Toadstools and Mushrooms and things..." the answer would be Ichycoo Park, could get a month out of that easily.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Old Grey Whistler
I like the idea for a number ones' poll and any sort of picture quiz is also a good idea.  I do miss the Saturday Screencaps so it would be good if they returned, even if it was only once a month or fortnight and as Mikey says, it doesn't really matter if it has been done before.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Both good ideas Ryan and I will certainly partake as and when able.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

AC/PD
As mentioned, making any type of screen-cap thread a fortnightly experience would increase anticipation. Also, the idea of passing hosting duties around in much the same vein as they do on HIGNFY might be a good one.

RYAN wrote
... and to be honest the cupboard is looking mighty bear.
Keep away from that cupboard, Ryan - you might risk a mauling, particularly if it's got a sore head.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
I like the idea for a number ones' poll and any sort of picture quiz is also a good idea.  I do miss the Saturday Screencaps so it would be good if they returned, even if it was only once a month or fortnight and as Mikey says, it doesn't really matter if it has been done before.
Yes i also miss all the Saturday evening Screencap fun, they were great days indeed. What i dont miss is the hours of preparation work which went into it. It was very much luck of the draw in participation. Some weeks it was busy with half a dozen or so onboard, and other weeks the six hours prep work seemed like a hard bargain with just myself and the odd passing player dropping in. Not sure id like to host them again, maybe others will do though.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

VintageVideos
A couple of excellent ideas, Ryan. May I also add that, like others, I miss a bit of Saturday fun. A screencap thread once or twice a month would be very welcome.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Everything'sRosie
I like the idea of the Number Ones. My Guinness Book of Hit Singles is well thumbed, so I have which records we're talking about at my disposal. Should be fun, though personally most of my favourite records never got anywhere near the top. But count me in, Ryan.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Two brilliant ideas Ryan, and will be looking forwards to these in the new year.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Good ideas Ryan and thanks for your active imagination

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Good thinking Ryan, both features are guaranteed to help OFTD keep ticking over and I think the No.1 polls will garner a lot of interest. It won't be easy as most years we're spoilt for riches! A good idea to go through the years randomly too.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Legsfan
Great ideas Ryan.
2018 sounds like a great year for OFTDs. I can't wait

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

PansLegs
 It was very much luck of the draw in participation. Some weeks it was busy with half a dozen or so onboard, and other weeks the six hours prep work seemed like a hard bargain with just myself and the odd passing player dropping in.
I always wondered if some of the lack of participation on the Saturday Screen Cap threads were simply because it was a Saturday and that naturally sometimes people are busy doing other things at the weekend. It might be quite a short window of opportunity for some to contribute. Has a weekly screen cap thread ever been tried where each member can only post say one pic per day? That would not only give more time for members to check in to see what's going on but potentially balance out the frequent contributors with others that may have less of a pool of material to pick from. It may also mean the ongoing interest in the topic hopefully lasts the week rather than a big flurry on one day?

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I think the number ones poll is a great idea, look forward to participate in it
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Ryan, i wasn't really thinking along the lines of the 'live saturday quiz' although they were great fun of course at the time, just the screen cap threads where we can post throughout the day.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Well the thing about `The Saturday Screencap Thread ©` is that after a year of it i simply ran out of finding a new topic to do each Saturday, or a topic that folk would find interesting. So i decided to end it whilst it was still doing well, rather than have it die a slow death. End on a high i guess.

Our buddy Panslegs has mooted the suggestion of a week long screencap thread. Thats fine, all we need is someone to host it and to make a regular job of it. Any takers ?

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Mikey
The earlier ones didnt have a time restriction but petered out after a few days. I don't mind starting the ball rolling and then someone else can do one a couple of weeks later and so on.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Old Grey Whistler
Yes, I think for a screencap thread, having a variable host is probably the way to go.

Re: A couple of new forum fun features for 2018.

Fantastic idea Ryan. Will very much look forward to it.