AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 14/09/1972

Ain't No Sunshine
Performed by Michael Jackson and reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 14/09/1972 Duration of dance - 3.02 mins
Dancers: Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k46HtbuPmFXd4Z52W9e

"Ain't No Sunshine" had been Bill Withers' first single in 1971, and while it didn't chart in the UK, it went as high as No. 3 in the US. Not bad for a newcomer, eh? (Ok, for the completists, the record peaked at No. 40 in the UK, but not until 2009!). Bill Withers version is very short, just 2.04 mins, and was originally intended as the flipside of "Harlem", but you just can't keep a good song down!

Obviously there was potential in this composition, so after Michael Jackson had charted with two Top 5 solo hits in the UK, his record company decided to release another song from his first album "Got To Be There", and the choice came down to "Ain't No Sunshine". Not a bad choice it seemed, as the record secured the third Top 10 hit for 14 year old Michael.

Jackson never performed this song on TOTP (not unusual for a US artist), but we have Pan's People dancing to it on the first of its three weeks at No. 8. Although the original show was wiped, this performance luckily survived. After watching it a few times, I'm still not quite convinced that what we have here isn't (just) a rehearsal, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, this is another one of those elegant dances with slow moves and long glittering dresses. All the girls look lovely (even though the quality of this clip is slightly sub-standard). Again it's hard to pick a dancer, this time I will go for Andrea, the more I watch these early routines, the more I like her.

This is not one of my favourite routines, but it's still a good one, and my rating is 8/10.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

PattiforPM
No duds is right.  The ladies of Pans People look perfectly divine in these long split dresses and really throw themselves into this Dance too.  I really like this song too and wonder at the wisdom of the British Public if Bill Withers didn't really chart with it and at the Record Company if it started off as a B side.  Anyhow I like the slow to fast transitions and the hip action too, especially when Ruth starts pretending she's water in the Southern Hemisphere Bathtub.  Nevertheless it's the dresses that dominate this Dance for me and these rank for me amongst the best costumes ever so I have to award 9.5/10 overall.  I'm very close to awarding the lovely Babs or Andi the DotD but when there are sexy costumes around like this I can never take my eyes off Louise for long especially when her hair starts getting tousled with enthusiastic dance so Louise it is.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

I just don't feel the same excitement watching classic Pans as others on here do and find it hard to muster up positive feelings. Im sorry about that. But i can appreciate they were darn good dancers and this clip proves that, though what Ruth was doing half way through im not sure, she was gyrating the opposite to the others. Yes those dresses are very sexy, nearly has sexy as the black ones used later on Jim`ll & WWISYA. One thing that i couldnt help but notice was how erm, big Andrea looked in hers, when i say big i mean up top, most revealing. So i think Andrea will get my nomination for DOTD for that. Yep its not one id play often if ever, the sombre nature of the song dosent help. 6 out of 10 from me.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

What I find interesting about the choreography on "Ain't No Sunshine" is how it matches the changes in pace in the song; in fact, the moves would feel just at home on Bill Withers' version as they do on young Michael's here.  Pan's do a reasonable job to - the twirls and the shakes are finely executed, and they keep pace well during the complicated "I know, I know..." part.

I'd also like to pick Andi as Dancer of the Day, as she has some lovely close-up shots and rehearsal or not, gives a top-notch performance.

My score: 7.5

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

The costumes look strangely familiar, but I think that's because that design was obviously a favourite. I particularly like the dancing in this routine, as with many of these earlier routines, there's less individuality amongst the dancers, but here there's considerable variety in the dance moves, some great kicking, & frantic arm waving, & even some hai-flicking, the close-ups seemed to confirm that Pan's People really enjoyed performing this routine, the only thing that spoiled it was the brief intrusion into the line of sight from camera, of one of the decorative set pillars, which for just a few moments, completely obscured the girls, just like a cloud that briefly blocks out the sunshine.

8/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

BeautifulBabs
I'm thinking and I can't honestly remember when I did not fast forward this but I will force myself to watch it and review with all respect

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

An unsuitable song for someone so young but even with a more mature artist I'd have been tempted to leave it in the shadows.  That said the dancers shine through and those dresses are definitely top notch but as an overall package I'm only going with a 7.5 and for DotD my 'top' pick goes to Andi.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

VintageVideos
I tend to agree that MJ was a bit young for this song. On the other hand, this is not just a straight cover version, it has a completely different arrangement and is about twice as long (whether this is good or bad depends lol), and I have to say that once I've overcome my reservations for the young MJ, it was quite a good job.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

PattiforPM
Well I have to say I'm already a bit flummoxed here.  Sometimes I know I love a Dance and am quite aware that others won't like it as much (or vice versa) but I really thought everyone would love this song and performance.  As we've said before it's well worth listening to what others have to say.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

This is far better than I remember though I don't watch this much as its a bit slow.
Likes:
Song
outfits- beautiful and shimmering and yes split high on the left leg. Mary Whitehouse I hope you disapproved.
moves including a pans huddle.
Andi and her hairdo
Effective routine to a slow track - not often pulled off

Lose marks for :
song in a high voice compared to Bill Withers - I don't like when Michael Jackson sounds like a girl soprano.
Some obvious timing/co-ordination errors in particular with arms movements- sorry my fave lady is implicated here.

Maybe a rehearsal as suggested by VV with a bit more polish would be a 9 - in the Blue Peter pans article Lesley says that Flick liked to make sure the camera men got as long as possible to understand and improve their coverage of the dance to improve final result- maybe this one wa?s better when broadcast
DOTD Andi again and 7.5 overall
thanks Vv there is no such thing as a pans dud maybe ?

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

VintageVideos
Thanks BB, yes I think this routine might be a rehearsal just as the Back Stabbers routine (which is more obvious). Thanks to your vote Andi has now taken the joint lead as DotD, well deserved so.
I'm sure we will have a few duds here in the months to come, but not many. And one man's dud may well be another man's favourite?

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

Andeebee
my short verdict, terrific and sexy to boot

8.5

Dee Dee for dancer of the day

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

bucksby
another decent routine to a great song I mght add and a very topical track considering we have no sunshine just snow! I like the silver dresses and overall I would say the routine is an 8. Dancer of the day goes to Ruth.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

VintageVideos
Thank you guys, yes I saw the pictures of large parts of the UK covered in snow in today's news! Fortunately, we don't have snow here but a freezing wind, almost like a storm, and low temperatures as well.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

Paperboyplod
Freezing winds, are accompanying the snow, apparently it's now 'spring', I'll have a glass of whoever said that's drinking, it's obviously given them some crazy thoughts.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

PattiforPM
Sorry about that chaps, the wind must be coming from our direction

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Dotd Dee Dee 8/10.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

I'm not keen on this song, particularly when it's unsuitably sung by a child. However, from a Pan's People perspective everything is positive. The dresses are divine. And the routine captures the moods of the song perfectly. From the languid moves mirroring absent love, to glimpses of remembered happiness as the girls grow more animated as the song develops, everything makes sense.  DOTD Dee Dee. Love her pleased face as she sees the camera on her at 2:30. 9/10 for the routine.

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

VintageVideos
Thanks friends. And a special thanks to Gorgeous Daze for choosing a DotD this time, it seems you're acquainted with the dancers now, one learns quickly here

Re: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE -- 1972

Gorgeous Daze
A pleasure Vin. I'm just about recognising Louise now, and the only one I didn't know this time was Andrea. So I was able to identify her by a process of elimination.