AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW  Dance/performance number 167 by Legs & Co
Performed by  McFadden & Whitehead   reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  31/05/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.37 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 150
Sue      150
Rosie    147
Patti     146
Gill       143
Lulu      142
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xqr27_legs-co-ain-t-no-stoppin-us-now-totp-tx-31-05-1979_creation

Legs & Co perform to a track by a couple of blokes who sound more like a chartered accountancy firm rather than a pop act. I have to confess i know nothing about them and had to resort to Wiki to look them up. Seems they troubled the UK charts on this occasion only. The song though is perfect for our girls, and remains one of my favourites from this year, i like to play it often. I think we can safely say that Legs & Co had reached the very pinnacle of their TOTPs career in Spring 1979 and they seem to be invincible in every routine they perform.

An instant hook to our eager male eyes at the beginning of the routine is we are treated to an interesting view of Lulu and what a mover too. For me the stars of this one are both Sue & Lulu and two very nice visuals they perform. One is the handshake, the other the arm in arm walk. Good idea also to have the audience in shot, and even better having them clap and look as though they are enjoying it, unlike certain routines from a year or two previously.

One other observation, is this the first routine in which we can actually hear our ladies omit a few `Wooo` noises, which were so prevalent during the very later stages of Legs tenure on the show. Okay they are not very loud in this, but im sure i can detect them.

Onto DOTD. Well for me its size 8 skinny tight white jeans versus polka dots. I have to say, if i was one of those audience members my eyes would be fixed on `Lulu` and she gets my vote here.

For my rating, well its another of those `six girls having fun at the disco` and i can find no fault with this at all. Great close-ups of the dancers, not a bad song and lots of nice moves like the 'knees-up` move to the big Ugh very near the end of the routine.

10 out of 10, all day long from me.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Paperboyplod
Here's another dance routine where everybody gets to wear whatever they fancy at the time, & it looks as if there's a miming competition taking place because there's all manner of strange hand & arm movements going on, like the ladies are pretending to do something, & the audience sitting in full view of the cameras, have to guess what the girls are supposed to be doing, & the audience seems to be attempting to join in with the dancing, whilest still seeing firmly glued to their chairs.
I do rather like the occasional clasping of hands, it really enhances things somewhat.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Yes here we witness a Legs & Co Party night and the ladies look to be having a good time.  The varied clothes are interesting and Lulu is undoubtedly hottie of the day (and DotD) for me too.  Sue always looks great but that spotted dress isn't my favourite: having said that it's oodles better than the Flasher one I panned not so long ago.  Gill wins silver medal in the fashion show for me and Patti and her shorts get Bronze for her relaxed look.  Pauline is very close to the Bronze too but Rosie is in sixth with a rather straggly number.  The dance itself is a good party representation with lots of different segments and combinations of Dancers and the music is just right for a shindig too.  All in all I'm giving 9/10  as this performance is very enjoyable but doesn't quite reach my top shelf

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

The routine starts off with the sight of one Lulu's beautiful backside dancing on to the studio floor. Lulu is wearing tight white pants, with a silver off the shoulder tight top. From the other side of the studio floor comes dancing on. Miss Patti Hammond in a white top and short shorts. That shows off them wonderful pins to a tee. From the left side come Gill in a white hugging dress. And all the three ladies dance together with hand movements. And facing the camera, from a different camera shot. The other three ladies Sue, Rosie and Pauline rush on facing each other. Sue is wearing a white tied to one side dress. To make it shorter with black spots on it. And silver sparkly tights and silver shoes. Rosie wearing a white top and a flowing long white dress bottom. And last of all Pauline wearing a white top and trousers. The ladies swap over in one movement. And then the ladies go into a line. And do some arm movements to the song. Then turn around facing the camera, then they do a wonderful dance movements. We get a wonderful close up of Sue dancing toward the camera. Then the camera pans out to show a three shot of Lulu, Sue and Patti. These are the three ladies that dominate this routine for me. We have a nice close up of Patti then pans out to show Sue and Lulu doing a shacking of hands movement. That had been done before in another routine, cant remember which one, can someone tell me. We get a nice moment with Gill. We have another good moment for me when Sue, Pauline, Rosie and Lulu come towards the camera wagging they fingers in the air and go off. To let Gill and Patti do a nice bit, then come back on to the floor at two at a time. And then the ladies do some dance movements with kick in them till the end of the routine.

The Dotd come come down to three ladies Sue, Patti and Lulu who dose a wonderful job here. So I must go for my favourite the might Sue.

So the score must be 9 out of 10. As Ryan said early the ladies and Flick were on a roll of brilliant routine.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Doc
Not too bad, but I can't get as excited about it as those before me, just 8/10.
Dotd: In the end I chose Lulu!
Still living in 1979

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

PaulF
Typical Flick and L&Co routine and enjoyed every minute of it 10/10.

I spotted my DOTD . (Sue)
Paul

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Old Bill
Agree with P4PM and Plod here, it does look like a Legs party night with everyone coming as they are - with only Sue breaking the white/off-white dress-code with her polka-dots. Which SFE I think have a purpley hue rather than black.
Individually the outfits are all very nice, but they don't really go together too well for me. Me being a fashion expert :-)

The dance is nice enough too, although like Doc I'm failing to get overly-excited about it. Lots of nice smiles and wiggles, and Sue is leading the singing today. Ryan's right too - you can definitely hear the occasionally Wooo. Although it strikes me as odd they'd have the floor mic open...

Lulu is looking divine here, all permy and radiant. And trumping the usual sure-fire winner Patti for the Rear-of-the-Day trophy.

To sum up, very nice but not the bestest, but fun, enjoyable, comatose audience slowly waking up and Lulu is wonderful.

7.5/10 and Lulu for DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Another real winner.  The girls disco vibe is spot on and even though one or two of those costumes don't quite grab me to the max the routine certainly does.  Lulu looks fantastic from every angle but there ain't no stoppin' Sue in her dress with the purple spots, my favourite amongst the costumes by a mile.  So a 10 for the dance with Sue for Dotd.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Andeebee
It seems that Legs were giving a free reign over the latest Freeman's catalogue, and all picked their individual styles.  it looks like a girls meet up at the local Disco.  The fashions you can see are beginning to usher in the early 80's look, pedal pushers, tight jeans (as if I'm complaining) and lots of hair.

A solid performance and lot of hair and teeth on show, with the ladies looking fabulous (who wouldn't wanna meet these girls down the club and buy them a Babycham or Campari & Soda) Lulu looking really fine being poured into a pair of skin tight jeans.  Not sure what Sue is wearing, half disco have bedtime.

Nice and cheery, fabby song (even thou it has been played to death over the years)

10/10

DOTD: this was difficult for me to judge, but I have gone for what I think and feel (some voters plumping for the same dancer every week regardless - tut tut), so for me it's the nice smile and silver legs of Sue

PS love to see the vote for Cavatina, this one should be a clean sweep hopefully but it won't be.......

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

You are right Old Bill, my eye sight must be going. Their were purple spots, it must be that am watching lots of the ladies routines.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Andeebee wrote
PS love to see the vote for Cavatina, this one should be a clean sweep hopefully but it won't be.......
Yes it should

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Andeebee
LOL it should - but i have a feeling it won't

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

if you have purple spots before your eyes please see the forum quack (no not the duck either)

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Gorgeous Daze
Just seven months away from the new decade now, Thatcher's in, and this is like a bridge to the eighties. It has the fashion and the music with its fat beat and early stirrings of a slick clubbing sound. The audience are there too, awaiting the magic prod of Hurllification but helping give it a live vitality nevertheless.

The girls probably spent half the afternoon on the phone co-ordinating their outfits. But it was worth it as we have a super-hot gang of mates out on the town, having a ball and sure-fire winners of 'Champion Disco Dancers: Group' and a slap-up three-course meal at the Chateau Impney. A mirrorball would have cemented the vibe. Patti possibly brought a frown to her mum's face as she tottered away down the garden path, but a broad smile to mine. It kicks off with the best rear entrance since Le Freak. Who doesn't love a babe in tight jeans and even tighter off-the-shoulder shiny top? There's no stopping our sextet now and I like the self-congratulatory touches like Lulu's low five with Patti and affirming handshake with Sue. Other stand out moments include Patti's heart-melting smile, floaty arm movements, 'search me', and those familiar gentle admonishments.

Girl on the town of the night: Lulu. She really nailed the cruise-control confidence and fun on this one.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Mikey
Ah yes a nice warm friendly routine, loads of smiles, the odd handshake and good natured bottom bumping. Even the audience are getting themselves together (with a little nudge from the producers no doubt) and joining in which lifts the occasion. The minimal black and white set is back again with some white tram lines on the floor, a curious purple triangle overhead glows like some elaborate disco light. The main highlight for me however is seeing a more mature looking Lulu as a cyber disco babe, which clearly overshadows the others more regular white outfits.

An enjoyable routine, and a nice one to round off a great month, but its not up there with the best, so I'll go 8/10.
DOTD Lulu

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

AC/PD
Seems as if the costume-department was closed for redecoration this week, so Legs & Co. decided to raid their own wardrobes for clothing, with the single theme being to wear something predominantly white. Lulu found that her cupboard was bare, so decided to paint an outfit straight onto herself.
Good to see the audience facing towards us, a la 77's Sir Duke performance and although the're sluggish to start with, they end up getting into the swing of things.
Enjoyable moments include Lulu and Sue's  of approval mement and the section where the ladies parade past each side of the camera in pairs and then return moments later.
Seems to be a few issues of imperfect timing on display, which is a shame because it's an overall enjoyable, straightforward routine of the non-taxing type.
7/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

This has all the hallmarks of a good routine - an interested and responsive audience, plenty of interaction and set-ups with the dancers, and a lively and positive musical accompaniment.

I quite like the "outside the box" approach to the costumes, with my preference for Rosie's lovely dress and Sue's delightful spotty top - which wouldn't look out of place in the likes of Topshop these days! Since that article was shared on the girls' clothing preferences, I wonder if they had a say in the costumes for this routine?

DotD: I'm dotty about Sue in this one

Score: 9

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

Old Grey Whistler
It looks as though Legs & Co were enjoying a night out at the disco. I half expected them to have their handbags on the floor to dance around!  Good to see the audience a little more animated than usual, although as some were swaying more enthusiastically than others, there may have been a few shoulder collisions in the front row!
Nice choreography but nothing too difficult for our ladies. An enjoyable routine but I think a step down from their recent performances so I will score it 8.5 out of 10.
Lulu captures my attention the most and so gets dancer of the day.

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

VintageVideos
McFadden & Whitehead are famous for having (co-)written several big hits for The O'Jays, Harold Melvin and other prominent soul acts. They will always be my heroes for their involvement in tracks like "Back Stabbers", "For The Love Of Money" & "Wake Up Everybody". That's why I can forgive them for recording this rather mediocre disco track in 1979 which is far too repetitive for my liking.
The routine is certainly good. It has quite a few nice moments, and with a different track I may have rated it higher. But as it is I'm not thrilled enough to give more than

8.5 / 10

DotD: Sue

Re: AINT NO STOPPIN' US NOW [May]

There is a good 'girl's night out' feel to this routine.I like the different types of costumes,and it's always good to see some audience enthusiasm.The song's not a favourite of mine but the dancing is good.Lulu stands out,she's looking great and dancing even better.
10/10
DotD:Lulu