ALL RIGHT NOW -- [February]

ALL RIGHT NOW Dance number 88 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Free  and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 23/02/78 Duration of dance --  2.28 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Sue

Pauline 84           Sue 81
Lulu 82               Gill 80
Rosie 81             Patti 80
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x242xyi_legs-co-all-right-now-totp-tx-23-02-1978_creation

  This fine piece of work by the girls will not be getting the BBC4 treatment this Thursday unfortunately, but we are proud to bring it to you here on OFTDs. Andee and his YT team have come up with this much clearer clip than the one we've been used to seeing so well done to them.
  Well it looked like Flick & Mr Nash had one of their discussions in which they decided to come up with a gymslip number. Not sure why this song entered the charts again, i think it did on a number of occasions, but the raunchy feel to it is ideal for this jolly hockey sticks dance.
  The setting is perfect, with its graffiti covered walls and broken wire fences, a bad girls school. The hockey sticks are vital props in this and Flick gets the girls to use them to full effect, though they do look like lethal weapons. Picking a dancer of the day for this is very difficult. I could pick Sue for that pose were shes leans on her stick. Gill could have been a candidate, but losing her belt meant she looked like she was wearing a maternity dress. No im going to have to go for every ones favourite `young un` Lulu. That bit near the start wear she raises he stick in the air, i do like that scene. Love her flashing her yellow with black polka dot under garments too.

If student Hetherington hadn't sent a sick note into teacher that day this would have got maximum points, so from me its 9.5 out of 10.

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

VintageVideos
Hot hot hot! A 1970 rock classic combined with some very sensual (and suggestive) dancing, it feels like heaven for an old hippie like me! Deprived of Pan's People's routine to the same track, this is an excellent compensation. Ryan was a bit Scrooge-like with his rating, for me this is a top routine and I would rate it more than 10 if possible.
It was very hard to pick a DotD, and I almost went for Pauline and her little solo in the middle of the routine, but in the end I picked Patti. Slow, don't go too fast!
Stu

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Stu
Regardless of which type of routines you usually warm to I'd be surprised if this doesn't score highly with most people on here.  Very hot number performed impeccably. There does seem to be a trend at the moment where the girls are getting good stage sets to work in that are appropriate to the dance and long may it continue.  What a shame that some of the best performances are on the shows that the BBC are pulling at the moment.  I would probably have scored this top marks, but like Ryan, I don't feel I can when someone is missing.

9.5/10

Liked her little solo and her pouts to the camera so my DOTD goes to Pauline.

Stuey

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Paperboyplod
Quite what this routine has to do with hockey sticks, I just don't know, there must be something that I'm missing, but for me it's more about chewing gum, but we won't into all (of that) right now.
The scene's immediately set with the girls in short skirts, with leggings, & brandishing the aforementioned sports equipment, which seems to involve various sequences of pointing, twirling, & spinning about each of their limbs, Sue seems to be leadnt the charge, in what appears to be a school yard type setting, with the others playing follow-the-leader, but it all looks like heaps of fun.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

In-your-face yet also tongue-in-cheek. Marvellous interplay between all the dancers and some truly hot solos by everyone. A masterclass in the schoolyard that fits the relentless power of the music.

Another 10 from me.

Dancer of the day: I'm going for Pauline too - this routine offers a lovely example of how fantastic she is when her confidence is at a peak and she's absolutely uninhibited in her movement.  And there's more where that came from ahead of us!

(I'd have given Sue the DotD honour this time around, in particularly for the bending and thrusting around her hockey stick, but the slight mistiming of the kick at 2:05 means that Miss Peters the edge this week.)

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Steaming hot performance to one of the best-riffed rock songs in history with some comedy and lots of neat little vignettes.  No classroom would be undisrupted by these young ladies and they all throw themselves in to the action right from the bully-off.  A highlight for me is Patti coming forward between Lulu and Pauline as they lean precipitously backwards, still managing to gyrate while they're at it.  Just brilliant.  The graffiti-laden playground is a great venue too.  Sue's stick-leaning taunting and Gill's beltless stick-handling are all great theatre as well.  Did I not even mention those outfits yet?  Perhaps I'd better not or we may have to change the rating of this website.  By now it should be obvious that my mark is 10/10 and make no mistake I'd go higher if I could.  This one illustrates for me just how good Flick and Legs & Co were at knowing exactly how far to go turning on the sex appeal while not losing sight of an element of fun.  DotD is really tough as they're all great in this but I have to give this to Pauline, who absolutely excels (and no Say When I don't expect you to tell us whether she still has the outfit!)

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Suefan
St. Trinian's comes to W12 with a five-a-side to outplay any opposition and gets top marks all round.

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

PattiforPM
BTW I think it is far more likely in this setting, and perhaps more appealing, to think that young Rosie was in detention for some kind of mild misbehaviour rather than off sick.  Therefore this in no way detracts from my marking of this Dance, although it is perhaps a pity that we were not allowed to witness her writing lines on the blackboard of the classroom next door to the playground.

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Andeebee
9.5 for me

Bit short, some mistimed stuff, still trying to fathom te connection between schoolgirl outfits and Free, nope off to watch it again.

This caused a stink with Mary Whitehouse (hence the comment I made on YT)

DODT: all of them...there threw a spanner in the works......

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

bucksby
I think all the right stuff has been mentioned, superb routine to a classic song. 9 out of 10. Those hockey sticks would be usefull to ward off any unwanted male attention!

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Andee, if you want to come back and choose a DOTD then no worries, but i cant give it to all of them.

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

bucksby
on Andeebee's point about the routine being a bit short, I hated it when TOTP cut short routines and videos to fit in more songs a half hour show. they did it with most videos they showed from 1989-1991

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Ok, made up my mind, I'm plumping for Sue

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

VintageVideos
First routine to crack the 9.5 mark so far

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Not like you ADB

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Other dancers are available

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

Ha -  well Sue stole the show for me, irresistible in that outfit...with that come hither hockey stick...it was close I was gonna plump for Pauline, but Sue in that outfit....no brainer

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

yes see 'Queen of My Soul'

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

bucksby
I would pick Patti here too, I love what she does with that stick!

Re: ALL RIGHT NOW -- 1978

As Jimmy Greaves used to say, when Ian St. John used to pick Liverpool for a victory, "You DO surprise me!"
123