ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

PattiforPM
   Lena’s Music Part 3 spawned this dance to Neil Sedaka’s “All You Need is the Music” and it’s a little more upbeat than some of the other numbers in her catalogue.  The song was a flop as a single for Mr Sedaka and was taken from the 1978 Album of the same name.  Of course his biggest hits were in the early 1960s and I’m sure most of us can hum “Oh Carol”, “Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen” and “Calendar Girl” and perhaps sing “Breaking Up is Hard to Do” in the shower.  Neil’s career has had a lot of ups and downs including notoriously suffering a slump prompted by that darned “British Invasion” (yes, you know who you are) and a passing friendship with Sir Elton John and his Rocket label in the mid-1970s with temporary positive results including the song “Solitaire.”  Most recently he has had a fruitful relationship with the American Idol Show including earning Clay Aitken a fair bit of dosh when he covered Solitaire.  Ah the fickle music business.

         ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC   -  Lena Martell                                                  Aug 8th 1979

                             DANCERS:    David, Nick, Okon, Lulu, Patti, Rosie

                            LINK:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFeS95-kTdA

  This is a little more “Dancey” than some of the other Lena efforts and perhaps allows the dancers a little more freedom to express themselves.  I like the three pairs and also that they are placed above the Singer in this performance.  The solos with names introducing the lads and lasses are a nice touch although it is a little odd to have this on the last of the three Shows.  Anyway I will come clean and say that I totally adore the great Patti lay-back and Lulu and Rosie look great in their solos too so I’m giving a solid 8/10  to this one and of course there’s no DotD (although you all know full well who I would be nominating in other circumstances).  Over to you for more unbiased comments....

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

bucksby
Lena had a tv show? Thank goodness I was too young at the time to watch that! Anyway awful song but when some of our lovlies are in the background t is worth watchng (just) I like the look of Rosie here, one dance at a time sweet Jesus!

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Well I'm not that keen on this song nor the special effects, such as they are, but I do like the individual intros, the stage set, Patti's spot of limbo and the colour of Lulu's dress so have given this a generous 6.5.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

BeautifulBabs
Likes
It's 3 of our favourite girls
The intros and the following mini solos including the rosie head banging
Patti 's  flexibility
Would have been  the highlight of the show
Likes less :
Lena
Lena's costume from Brentford nylons
Fake American accent
The claim that 12 million people watched this and it ran for 10 years
The thought of the girls trying to get rid of their scottish pound notes
The blokes costumes and their presence in general

A wobbly 6.5 from me

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Again, this dance routine accompanying Lena Martell, is constrained by the limitations of that particular programme, so there can't be that much intimacy, with the paired off couples, I guess, but I preferred the track the Lena performed here, to her version of Forever In Blue Jeans, she seemed to like songs written by blokes called 'Neil'.
That was also a nice touch, with each dancer having their own sign, which appeared just ahead of a close-up view of them, handy, for any viewers, for whom the dancers were like complete strangers.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Apart from Patti displaying her lithesome back-arch, there isn't a great deal in this that gets me to interested. I also agree with everyone else about the name graphics, it was a nice idea. Sadly just '6 out of 10' from me.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

PaulF
Nice easy going routine, I too like the name checks before the solo's, other than that not a lot to get enthusiastic about 6.5/10
Paul

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Thanks chaps.  Yes PBP the Neil connection continues.  Looks as if this one is scoring similarly to the other Lena effort assessed so far but there are more comments yet to come I wager.  Oh Bucksby, could I ask for a rating please?

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

VintageVideos
Not quite as inconsistent as 'Blue Jeans', I even like Lena's singing here, well kind of. The dancing leaves me rather indifferent though, it seems everyone's just ticking over.

6 / 10

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

I don't think Lena will make it as a disco diva some how, a bit of a stilted performance for me, sounds very echoey too. The dancing is good, well better than the first, and very impressive back bending from Patti. It still feels a bit 'going through the motions' though, and if they were given centre stage it could have worked better, maybe Lena was a diva after all. 6.5/10

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

JEZ
believe me though folks ,these performances in 1979 were very welcome on tv ,itv had a strike on ,so all that was left music wise on tv was bbc 1 and bbc 2 ,i know we had totp which we all vote on ,but nothing else much at the end of the summer in 79 was happening on tv ,and the sight of viewing 3 of the lovely legs ladies on a boring wednesday night on bbc 2 was a very welcome thing for me ,i know lenas singing was a bit depressing at times and her covering some of these songs didnt always work ,but that would have not bothered me at the time ,i would have been more than pleased being a legs and co fan that i could catc an extra glimpse of the girls that week ,obviously now some 35 years later with all of legs and cos routines available at the click of a finger i am in a position  to be able to more critical of the show

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

PattiforPM
Good point Jez.  Any chance of a rating from you too my friend?  And Bucksby and anyone else please?  I know these Lena Dances are a little low key but I feel they deserve our attention too (Yup I'm begging now)

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Old Grey Whistler
This song is probably a little more suited to Lena's vocal capabilities than Forever in Blue Jeans.  I would have liked for the camera's to have focused more on the dancers and less on the singer, but as it was Lena's show, I guess that was not likely to happen.
I like the solos from both the blokes and the ladies. Lulu's solo is quite restrained, Rosie does her by now trademark hair swirling, but Patti's solo was the best, and would have got her DOTD if we had of been doing it.
I might be being a touch over generous but I will score it 7 out of 10.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Gorgeous Daze
So here Lena provides some Presbyterian disco and a bit of foot tappin'. All she needs is the music. And Ruby Flipper Mk II to liven things up.

I too like the dancers' names being spelt out: well-deserved. I bet for a good few they cleared up the who's who of 50% of Legs and Co. Alas, the ensuing solos are a smorgasbord of cheese. Even with Patti demonstrating her fitness in a slit pencil skirt. Otherwise, they're just doing what's expected of them as backing dancers on the Lena Martell Show. And certainly in the case of the girls we know that they could pretty much go through these motions in their sleep. At least Flick and the production team do have a notable crack at providing a groovy contrast with the star; with the lads in Saturday Night Fever jackets, aura-like effects - and decommissioned washing machines. Just because.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

PattiforPM
Thanks for the comments lads.  Yes the "decommissioned washing machines" are rather odd I agree GD and I love your "Presbyterian Disco" which was, I believe, a brief musical fad, eventually going the way of Menopause Rock, Country Thrash and Buddist Hip Hop.  I'm still in the middle of updating all the counts on these Threads and should be up to date by next week so please stay with me...

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Gorgeous Daze
LOL. I think the time has come for those musical avenues to be re-explored. Preceded by 'Nu', of course.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Colm
I had to mute the song as soon as Miss Martell started singing.

Thankfully, the dancing, at least from the ladies, was easier on the eye. Especially their solo pieces - nice arching by Patti; superb spins by Lulu, and glorious hair shaking from Rosie.

Score: The solo spots pushed this up to 7

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

JEZ
a bit of a dire song here from ms martell ,but by gum I like the girls outfits on this routine ,its nice that the dancers get a name check on this routine as im sure mr p said the dancers were not named individually on the end credits of the show ,which with any show that doesent list the dancers by name on the credits in my book is quite unacceptable ,just because it seems on some shows that dancers are just dancers ,I believe that was totally wrong and they all should be included by name on any show that features a dance troupe ,this is also something Granada tv shows seemed to do this a lot ,on 45 zigzag were only credited at first as that at the end of the show ,so did shangalang ,look alive ,the arrows only credited him and us at the end ,anyway back to the performance ,dance wise ill give it a 7

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Andeebee
Best bit is Patti, the song is naff, Lena is like one of those old pets that needs a final visit to the vets.

But mustn't grumble as where else will you get to see this stuff these days.

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THE MUSIC

Old Bill
I quite like Lena's Presbyterian disco (love that GD!), she's almost like a young hip lady Val Doonican.

RF aren't much more than backing dancers here, allowed the spotlight occasionally. Which is obviously need as apart from sometimes glancing at her monitor (or autocue!?) and the constant threat / promise of her false teeth popping lovely lil Lena doesn't provide an awful lot of visual excitement. But the boys and girls do well in their supporting roles. The name is nice, although I think it caught David my surprise... what was he doing!?

The girls are the real stars here as has mean mentioned with Rosie's hair-twirling, and Patti's gymnastics. And Lulu's unassuming heartbreaking cuteness!

But it can't be worth more than a 6/10 and if there was to be a DotD - All You Need is...

Jeremiah 31:13
12