ALTAR ROCK (aka BOOTLEG) -- 27/09/1973

Altar Rock
Performed by Bobby Keys
Original broadcast date 27/09/1973 Duration of dance - 3.07 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWotH5uWcKc

Time for another of those performances from the "Two Ronnies". "Altar Rock" was danced to on the first episode of the third season, sort of an introduction which would be followed by six other appearances on that series.

Bobby Keys is an American saxophone player who has worked with the Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Harry Nilsson, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and others. For example, he played the saxophone on the Stones' "Brown Sugar" and on Lennon's "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night". Bobby released two LPs of his own in the 1970's. "Altar Rock" is a track from his self-titled instrumental album from 1972.

This performance is unusual as you hear the rattling of the jewelry during the whole of the dance. I find this rather annoying and can only assume that it was a technical lapse.

"Altar Rock" was aired on the same day as "Monster Mash" but unlike its 'sister' routine it is one of the dances that I just can't seem to warm up to. Firstly, I don't really like the clothing. Ok those boots are nice but the jewelry looks very untidy. The ornamentation on the foreheads is not something I'm very keen on either. And finally, even after repeated listening, I find the music boring and slightly chaotic.

So it's no surprise that I'm not rating this performance very highly. I'm afraid

6 / 10

is all I can give.

As DotD, I chose Louise.

P.S.: One of the dancers loses her ornament during the performance. See if you can spot when this happens!

P.P.S.: Like everyone else, I initially thought this record was called "Bootleg". But after YMG posted it on his blog, claiming its title was "Altar Rock", I started to investigate. I found out YMG was right and so I changed the title. I kept "Bootleg" in brackets just in case anyone would be searching for it.
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

PattiforPM
I find this one very difficult to mark.  The ladies look absolutely stunning to me and the outfits are tantalizing but I agree the music is a bit unappealing and somehow the Dancing seems a little one-dimensional to me even though it's very sexy in places.  Louise's signature hair-flick and Cherry's come hither  help to increase my approval rating but it's certainly a mixed bag for me.  I think 7.5/10  is about right  but unlike our host I'd rather watch this than Monster Mash any day.  DotD is Louise for me too as she's steaming hot here.  Now I'm going back to search for the lost ornament.....

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

I'm guessing that Pan's People could get away with, far raunchier performances, on programmes like The Two Ronnies, than TOTPs, as this is one of those dance routines, the ladies are (tastefully @ least), showing heaps of bare flesh, with their diminutive costumes, as they dance about the stage, causing temperatures to rise accordingly.
The bindhis on their foreheads are so things different, & are a nice touch, alongside footwear that maybe female astronauts could wear.

9/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

I agree PBP, they did seem to be far raunchier on the Two Rons as opposed to TOTPs. I really like this performance, and we get lots of nice close-ups, which is always a nice bonus but damn and blast the overlays, which really hamper the viewing. As for the clanging jewellery, yeah that was a bit unusual, why didn't they just turn the studio mikes right down.

Sexy girls and sexy costumes, i guess the perfect type of music for Pans to grind and gyrate to. Cant stretch to nine, but will give the thing `8.5 out of 10`

DOTD was a toughie, the smiling Babs was tempting, but went for the lovely `Louise`

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Not one that I watch all that often although the dance itself is fine and I don't mind the music.  However, particularly from the back, parts of the costumes look a bit like chastity belts so only a 6 for the routine with Cherry as my Dotd.

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Andeebee
Not one of my fav 2Rnnies routines, but nevertheless a nice number with some fab costumes and nifty moves.

Scores: 5/10

DOTD: Cheryl who looks totally smoking in this

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
Rattle rattle jewellery jewellery. Not such a good idea in retrospect. What was meant to add vitality sounds more like crossed lines. I never considered that this was how Lost In Music would have sounded and together with the lashing around I imagine it must be quite distracting for the girls. Anyhow, with Pan's looking so amazing and putting in a good one I'm struggling to figure out why this doesn't hold my attention like on paper it ought to. No doubt the music is partly responsible, but even those hip gyrations don't elevate it above mere eye candy. Sorry girls. It's me, not you.

DOTD Cherry  6/10

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Mikey
This is bread and butter stuff for Pans People, but its certainly watchable if lacking a wow factor. The bland studio is a change from the hubbub of TOTP and with minimal lighting its not exactly inspiring. However those outfits are just great, if a bit ott on the bead front. The music, well its upbeat and jolly and we dont have to worry about awkward literal lyric interpretations, just raw unfettered dancing, and energetic it is too.

I enjoyed it and it looks like the ladies did too, 7.5/10 DOTD Cherry

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Young Mister Grace
I do like all the "Two Ronnies" routines for their more relaxed, well-rehearsed vibe. But having said that I can't really find anything elso to say about this routine either for or against. Choreography is fine, costumes so-so.

Score 4/10

DotD: Babs for gusto.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Give a score rating YMG, please im beggin ya.

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Sorry Ryan. I'll amend the post.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Sometimes when doing these reviews I find myself struggling to think what to say. This is one such occasion as it is one of those performances that I neither like nor dislike. I think it is probably one of the least impressive performances from The Two Ronnies dances though.
I think I will move straight on to the score, 7 out of 10 with Babs as DOTD.

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Young Mister Grace wrote
Sorry Ryan. I'll amend the post.

YMG
Thanks YMG. Score ratings are like oxygen to comments hosts

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Thank you YMG for joining the Pan's People Comments Thread and giving that all-important score rating. In troubled times like these it's especially nice to see a 'new' face posting here

Thanks also to Old Grey Whistler whose score finally lifted the ratings for this routine to double figures.
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

PaulF
Typical PP routine, very enjoyable to watch 7.5/10

DOTD pity Ruth was stuck at the back, my vote to Louise.
Paul

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

Colm
Nice, fun, joyful and plenty of smiles. Also good to see Babs out in front.

DotD: Babs

Score: 8

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

SuPaLu
I like this one.There is a lot of good dancing,the record's great for dancing to,and the costumes are great - well apart from Ruth's head-jewelry.9/10
DotD:Louise

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

SuPaLu wrote
 the costumes are great - well apart from Ruth's head-jewelry
Now you see it...

Now you don't...

Re: BOOTLEG -- 1973

PansLegs
[compact critique] Much prefer these outfits without all the baubles of the In Concert finale and they all look fab in silver with a decent amount of light. Very difficult DotD but Cherry clinches it. 9/10

Re: ALTAR ROCK (aka BOOTLEG) -- 1973

VintageVideos
I changed the name of this topic to the correct title of the song which is "Altar Rock". Thanks to YMG for making out.
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp
12