AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

AN EVERLASTING LOVE Dance/performance number 121 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Andy Gibb  and reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   31/08/78  Duration of dance --  2.24 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 112
Sue      110
Rosie    108
Patti     107
Gill       106
Lulu     106
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13gsps_legs-co-an-everlasting-love-totp-tx-31-08-1978_creation

I have to say this for some technical reason (which im sure someone can explain) this particular routine just does not look good on a computer screen. It never has, so don't be offended Andee, ive seen it far far worse. A mass of orange seems to over power the viewer. So i was very pleased indeed to see this on my TV screen looking far sharper than ive viewed it before.

I really like the song, i find it one of those that gets implanted in my head and ive found myself singing away to it. Poor Andy Gibb, there's always a tinge of sadness isn't there with him, passing away so young. Ive just checked out his discography on Wiki and i have to say im very impressed by his performance in the US billboard charts. Six top ten singles including three number one hit singles. Interestingly he hardly featured in the UK charts, with `An Everlasting Love` his best effort.

The routine it self by the girls is one that does annoy somewhat due to the lighting effects. What on earth Flick has decked them out in god only knows. Seems to be ropes, and the dresses are shapeless making the girls look, err bigger than what they are, wouldn't imagine many women would like to have worn those dresses to a cocktail party.

I like the tinsel effect though that the girls walk through, very reminiscent of one of those so called wiped dances from 1977, only in that they walked through red beads. I do really like the actual dancing the girls do in this, very simple moves that look good on the eye. My favorite bit is towards the end when they do that walk were they swing there shoulders and keep swapping places with the dancers appearing through the tinsel.

Rating, well its always been one ive never really been overly keen on due to the visuals, but ive certainly found extra love for it now, maybe not everlasting love, so im awarding this `8 out of 10`. Though i have a feeling you guys wont be so generous, but we shall see.

DOTD, im going for the frizzless `Pauline`, her smile in her first scene wins me over.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Paperboyplod
There really isn't a lot that I can say about this routine, other than it's five dancers, wearing what looks like shawls, & not much else, dancing at a local disco, with coloured strobe lighting that renders quite poor visibility, & it only becomes apparent, at the end of their routine, that the ladies are boxed into the dismal scenery.

5/10

DotD:-

Gill

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Yes this one's a tantalizer cos you just know there are hot ladies doing smooth moves under the body-length dreadlocks and behind the spotlights and sparkles but it's just really tough to see.  ADB's DM vid is so much clearer than other versions and is much more watchable IMO but the original filming seems to be insurmountable.  I quite like the physical set itself but it's interesting in this one that you can actually see the ladies who are supposed to be off-camera sometimes, particularly on the right edge of the screen.  All the Dancers do well and look good within the confines of costumes and lighting and choosing a DotD is once again a bit of a challenge but I agree Pauline is a highlight and I'm supporting her here too.  Overall though I find myself squinting trying to see better throughout and I can only award 6/10  and am left with the feeling that this could have been so much better as the Music is really conducive to a great Dance in this case but it didn't happen and that's a rarity.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

What a turkey. If Bernard Matthews watched this it must have been with covetous eyes.

The filming is hazy. Combined with the sparkling, dazzling, set it all goes together to spoil our chances of enjoying the dance. As a measure of how un-viewer friendly I found it, I briefly mistook Gill for Michele Dotrice. At least they were chosen ropy costumes this week, so we're not particularly deprived by the production values in that department. Even if there is less to the costumes than meets the eye.

I don't like the magician's curtains. Not only do they sparkle the hell out of the performance, they also don't have the desired impact as a device for toing and froing the routine. Example, Sue's backwards entrance. Last and rather fundamentally I'm just not keen on the dance or Rosie's uninspired little solo to this pleasant but unremarkable brothers Gibb number.

DOTD Pauline. Good to see her welcomed back with an early solo. Which turned out to be the peak of the routine.

Misconceived and best forgotten and left in 78.

3.5/10

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

I would be interested how folk found the viewing of this on their TV sets. Did you find it any clearer, i certainly did.

Oh and ive already texted Andee that i was going to mention the poor viewing of this on a computer screen, so im hoping he wont take umbrage, i think he could see were i was coming from.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
It was the first time I've seen it. Unless I watched it back in 78.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Sorry can't comment on the BBC4 TV version, I just know that ADB's DM version is better than the other computer versions I've seen

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

All i can say is that i was pleasantly surprised how sharp and clear watching this on BBC4 was. Ive been used to the ropey old versions that have been on the Net.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Suefan
It was good to see a much clearer copy of this one but... and its a big but... oh dear, those costumes!  The setting did bring back to mind the beaded curtain negotiations of a certain wiped number but whereas the ladies wore sensational costumes on that occasion their attire here was anything but.  Something of a costume catastrophe, with each dancer being saddled with enough rope to rig out the Victory, while the sparkly backdrop didn't help in the slightest either.  A real shame as the routine itself complimented the song very well but the costumes and backdrop drag my score down to no more than a 5.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Andeebee
The copy on TV is ropey, the copy I have is from the TV copy, but as reduced to size on PC screen can render it a bit murky, but overall the whole image is shoddy in general, didn't help the fact that the Beeb has digitally tied to enhance (ie brighten the pic) but overall it's a shame.

I do like the song, but this viewing is marred personally and can't wait to move onto next weeks edition.

DOTD: Pauline

4/10 _ prob only the second lowest Legs mark I have given (don't check Ryan)
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Stu
Not a fan of the song, clearly the voice of a bee gee brother but not the song writing skills of his more esteemed siblings. Routine was ok, girls look nice, but there has been and will be (I'm sure) a lot better.  Pauline shines here with her beautiful smile.

5.5/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

A Twitter follower observed on Wednesday night that L&C's costumes made them look like spaghetti monsters.

I'm not so keen on this routine as it's too blurry, too glitzy and too pedestrian.

DotD: Pauline (maybe this will be her clean sweep?)

Score: 6

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Nah, no clean sweep here, one of the guys went for Gill.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Stuey wrote
Not a fan of the song, clearly the voice of a bee gee brother but not the song writing skills of his more esteemed siblings.
Barry Gibb wrote the song.
Steve
Stu

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Stu
You know what GD, as I wrote that comment, I thought 'I bet someone now tells me it was actually written by a BeeGee', but I still couldn't be bothered to do my research and look it up, so I thoroughly deserve to be shot down!

Stuey

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
4/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Cant say im overly keen on Gill's hair in this, sorry AG.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Brothers Gibb just couldn’t do any wrong in these halcyon days of 1978 with Barry even finding time to knock out a good tune for younger Gibb, Andy.

For me the lighting on the set seems to be the main issue with a dim glow of orange causing most problems for me also what was that the girls are wearing.

I liked the hanging streamers which allowed for a less cluttered stage, but I also admit it reminded me of a prequel to a much admired routine forum regulars will know from 1981 towards the end of Legs and Co residency on TOTP. 7/10 Dotd Pauline

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

vocals on chorus by Mr Barry Gibb, doncha know

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
Me neither Ryan...much prefer her with her hair down.  Notice the moment of panic on Gill's face 55 sec in when the tinsel wraps round her face?

Nice to see plenty of Gill avatars btw, I think more than any other dancer?
123