AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

VintageVideos
I don't think this routine is that bad actually, our ladies managed to look graceful no matter what they were wearing (or not wearing). The song is ok, it was at a time when the Bee Gees really ruled the airwaves.

7.5/10  DotD: Pauline

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

AC/PD
Great to see Pauline back after a well-documented fortnight off and it's a particularly nice to see her afforded an early solo, as if to say 'welcome/I'm back'. Shame the costume looks like she's a sacrificial High Priestess, not averse to the occasional Morris Dance. The most positive aspect of the costumes is the fact that they contrast and highlight shapely legs every now and then.
To these eyes, Gill's hairstyle suits her, complimenting her face particularly when she smiles, although the troublesome strip during her twirl is unfortunate.
The routine seems to be fairly straightforward and generic, seeming to be a leftover from one of Pan's Peoples more average dances.
Odd to see some of the ladies finding their spots at the side of the set and then waiting for their solo moments in front of the side-positioned cameras. Almost like we're looking in behind-the-scenes.
This is one of those rare occasions where the quality of the song surpasses that of the routine.
DOTD: Gill

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Doc
Dotd: Another one for Pauline.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

bucksby
I didn't think the routine was that bad actually. The song is hardly a foot stomper and there are enough differening dance styles in the routine to keep attention.  I agree it isnt easily to watch on a computer screen and the costumes could have been better. Interesting hair style from Gill. A good retun for Paulne and she gets my DOTD. Routine is a 7

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

This is one of my least favourite routines by the ladies. The red light spoil the routine. And you can hardly see the ladies. The song is by the Bee Gees and sung by Andy Gibb. The ladies are wearing dangling rope dresses. They do some nice disco movements all the way through the routine.

The Dotd must be Pauline, for that smile.

The Lowest score I've given 4 out of 10.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Old Bill
This is one of those songs that a amorous 70s lothario might bung on his hi-fi late at night with the lights down low, as he tries to charm some young maiden out of her maxi-dress.

And I think the look of the set is trying to match this kind of "70s romance" feel. But like has been said it just comes across looking a bit of too softly lit orange mush. I don't think it would have looked much better on the proper telly - I've had a rewatch of the whole prog, and everything else is fine - apart from Clarke Kent and the Darts. The Darts seemingly lit the same way as Legs, although not as bad.

Anyways, I digress. I quite like the dresses - 1920s flapper style, and the swishing about adding to the overall glittery effect. Which is just as well, as the moves involved don't otherwise offer much excitement. They remind me of something akin to Take That or someone like that might do, especially the arm movements.

I'm going for a 5/10, not helped by the lighting. And DotD - the popular Miss Pauline Peters.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
I'm struggling to think of something positive to say about this one.  The dancing is quite good but the set is suffering from an overdose of orange, and the dresses must rank amongst the worst that Legs & Co ever wore.
I find the song bland and uninspiring, and after the really good routines that have preceded it over the previous few weeks, this is a bit of a let down, so just 5 out of 10.
DOTD for her opening solo is Pauline.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Doc
If I'd had to rate this dance from the clips that were available from the original transmission I would have probably given it a very low score, it was a real mistake to use a soft focus on a dark set and it resulted in a very blurred image. Luckily the reshowing on BBC 4 has enabled the routine to been seen with some improvement in the sharpness and it is now possible to see the girls faces. As a result my rating has improved, the songs not bad and neither is the dance 8/10.
As for watching it on a computer it is possible to reproduce a decent image but you cannot reduce the image size at all as this just enhances the blurriness.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
An amiable tune from Andy Gibb is unfortunately ruined by poor lighting. The glittery curtains that the girls emerge from are a nice touch, but the rest of the dancing is unremarkable and Pauline looks like she's being choked by that adornment up against her throat. 5.75/10  DOTD Rosie.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- 1978

Mikey
Not a bad routine per se but the low lit cabaret set does not make it an easy watch even if we are sat front of stage with a close up view its still hard to make out dancers in the background. The dissapearing and reappearing of the different dancers behind the tinsel like curtains is nicely done, but the movements are fairly basic and those outfits are strange, for some reason i now have a hunger for spaghetti. With a fairly average song, i can't score above 6/10. DOTD Gill and her new (and shortlived) quiff.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

I like the song, which is easily recognisable with the Bee Gees stamp on it, but unfortunately i'm not too keen on the actual routine. As mentioned by others, the lighting and costumes just don't work, and for some reason i find myself drawn more to the right side of the set to see who'll be appearing next, rather than the performance itself. If the set had different lighting this could have been so much better.

Rating 6/10

DOTD Rosie

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

Dancer
I never really took to this song too much.  Andy Gibb never really did anything for me.  I always felt he was just on his brother's bike and they wrote the songs for him.  The routine equally for this is just not appealing at all.  The outfits are so lumpy and how the girls danced with ropes on them I don't really know but they just don't fit the song.  I will award this one seven out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Pauline.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

After now having the knowledge and seeing for myself at the recent Kal event of the trials and tribulations the five dancers went through just to accomplish this routine, i feared i may have marked it to low in my ratings. Fortunately i need not have feared because my mark of 8 is about right.

If folk watch the routine closely they will see some of the dancers walk through the tinsel with a single piece of the stuff trailing over their upper torso. Well this is nothing compared to the cut scenes when it was far worse. Ive now got new respect for this routine and even more so for the dancers.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

PattiforPM
Funny you should say that Ryan, I was almost thinking the opposite by Sue's description; I thought that it was a bit of a goofy idea, goofy costumes and a poor set and my 6 might be a bit high with the only high point being the amount of effort the poor Dancers had to expend!

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

Suefan
Well in my original comment I was rather uncomplimentary about those costumes and it would seem I was on the money, even if then unaware of the travails the ladies went though to produce this routine.  Kudos to them but I'm sticking with my previous score.  Also now noticed that for one entrance Sue had chosen reverse gear... evidently the wise choice give the circs!

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

I wonder what the ideal word is to describe the outfits. Im going for `clunky`. Thing is, the more times i watch the routine the more i like the actual dance moves. My favourite part is towards the end when when the girls are dropping those shoulders whilst strutting forwards then backwards. The kind of move Daft Punk perfected to much greater effect in `Around The World`.

Another thing that i really like is the song. Very catchy tune and ideal fodder for Legs to dance to.

Re: AN EVERLASTING LOVE -- [August]

PattiforPM
I think the outfits are awful and might have worked better with this set accompanying Suicide is Painless