AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1)   Dance/performance number 202 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Whispers   reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  07/02/80  Duration of dance/performance  2.33 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie,Sue

Pauline 183
Sue      182
Rosie    180
Patti     178
Gill       176
Lulu      174
Dailymotion link http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hp89p_legs-co-and-the-beat-goes-on-version-1-totp-tx-07-02-1980_creation

Blog link http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=962

I dunno much about The Whispers other than Legs & Co danced to them on two separate songs (three times in total) and that they have been in the business an awful long time. But i do know that this particular track for me is one of the finest dance records that Legs ever performed to, though one could argue Disco had seen its day by this stage. With its on-going rhythmic steady beat (hey the beat `goes on`) its ideal fodder for our sexy six.  With each of our disco dollies done-up to kill in short dresses of differing bright colours the scene was surely set for this to be a classic routine to remember. Even more so after debutant Steve Wrights splendid intro what could go wrong ?

The music starts and someones had the brainwave of inserting pulsating graphics over the screen that says the word Legs, totally ruining what should and could have been a great dance. Its akin to that other disco classic `Disco Inferno` that was completely ruined by an erroneous feature, then it was those useless orange lights. My heart tells me to blame the production crew, but my head tells me to blame Flick for these, what i can only describe as clangers. Just how can the viewers pleasure be enhanced by pulsating graphics. Not only that but we are also subjected to lots of overlays, which again do nothing for fans of the dancers who just want nice clear shots of them. Yeah i know Flick had to come up with new ideas, but sometimes it was best to just stick to basics.

Okay, moan over.

At least in 14 days time (in 1980) Flick gets another chance to give us a second helping of this song in which she will surely not give us heaps of overlays and camera trickery again. Yep, unfortunately she does and its hard to decide which version i prefer.

Okay, moan really over.

For dancer of the day then i think this will be one of those occasions when we will revert to type and vote for our favourite girl. I know my eyes are very much drawn to mine and im going for the turquoise (or is it cyan) goddess and that is `Sue`. I mean how can i ignore that lightly crimped hair look !

For my rating. The girls look sensational, the song is excellent, the actual dancing is superb.  My enjoyment of it is hindered by bad production and that affects my score. Just `7 out of 10`.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Colm
I like the costumes, and there's some really nice smiles captured on camera, but I agree the overlays, not to mention the lighting, subtract from the viewing experience. It also looks like Patti loses her way for a brief moment...

Furthermore, Steve Wright (who actually hosted this edition of TOTP) seems more relaxed introducing the girls compared to how he comes across in the rest of his links.

DotD goes to the girl with the crimped hair - not Rosie (who along with Pauline, barely gets a look-in at the back), but our Sue - who IMO gets the nicest smile slots of the routine.

Score: 7.5

(...off to take shelter from the inevitable missile with my name on it en route from Canada)

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

This routine has tremendous legs appeal with great outfits and fine camera angles.  The graphics distract, but only a little, so I'm giving this an appreciative 8.5.  Looking stunning in blue and, by the looks of things after a brief dalliance with Rosie's hair crimpers, Sue is my Dotd !

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

brandonb
DOTD as all so far agree: Sue

"Disco Inferno" more like "Migraine Inferno" for that's what those orange lights seem like to me - yes they totally spoiled that routine - half the time you can't see what the girls are doing.

This one wasn't that bad. It didn't make me feel that I was having a migraine attack. In addition if you try you can see what the girls are doing more or less. It seems more distracting on a computer screen than on a large TV I've found. Anyway, this annoyance lost it a point from me (otherwise it would have been 9/10). I think this logo issue aside the girls all danced well and it's hard to pick a DOTD but perhaps Sue was just over the edge that made me go for her (as seems to be the case with others so far).

Can we really blame Flick for the orange lights and logo? To me they seem more like over enthusiastic tech heads who wanted to play with new toys and the production team in a moment of madness decided to let them have their way if only to shut them up? I would've thought Flick would be against anything that obscured the dancing? But maybe Ryan knows something I don't... ?

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

I agree, a great intro and a really danceable number for our delectable Troupe in their colourful glad-rags.  However the Legs logo really is a bit of a goof-up and would have been better semi-subliminally flashed over all the other acts on the Show instead.  I can't even find it in myself to argue with Colm as I think Patti did indeed wander from her usual Divine Path and this is made all the more apparent by the flawless Flick Follower in front of her.  As for DotD I almost fall for Hot-Bod-in-Pink Cartwright but the perfect execution of movement and the wonderful smile at 1:33 catches my vote for Sue.  My score; well I do enjoy many aspects of this Dance so I think 8.5/10 is good for me too but it would have been higher if I had been in the studio watching

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

brandonb wrote
Can we really blame Flick for the orange lights and logo? To me they seem more like over enthusiastic tech heads who wanted to play with new toys and the production team in a moment of madness decided to let them have their way if only to shut them up? I would've thought Flick would be against anything that obscured the dancing? But maybe Ryan knows something I don't... ?
I agree the tech heads got their way here and on `DI` in 77, but as i understand it, all these effects had to have been sanctioned and given the okay by Flick. Lets not forget there will be plenty of experimental style routines to come with arty farty camera work, some work and some fail.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

PaulF
This has all the requirements for a 10/10 but sadly is ruined by the graphical effects and bad lighting as pointed out by Ryan. I think Sue and her gorgeous smile has lifted this to a 7/10.

DOTD Sue in blue.
Paul

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

& once again, we have a fantastic performance by Lulu, greatly supported by the other dancers, this must've been the period of the most consistency for Legs & Co., producing great dance routines, now if only they hadn't subsequently been downgraded to the roles of backing dancers during the time that they had left on TOTPs, they could've had a much more dignified exit.
Also strange with this particular performance is the displaying of their collective name, I'd have thought that by now people would've known just who these TOTPs dancers were.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

AC/PD
It was more of a design fad within the TOTP studios to display titles as part of the various backgrounds, so having the 'Legs & Co' name on full display was entirely in keeping with the designer ideas and fully warranted in the case of the ladies.
Even the presenters received the same treatment  : Peter Powell's name is on display in a few editions' time and for sure the audience would know who he was.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

brandonb
I agree the tech heads got their way here and on `DI` in 77, but as i understand it, all these effects had to have been sanctioned and given the okay by Flick. Lets not forget there will be plenty of experimental style routines to come with arty farty camera work, some work and some fail.
You are right I think that she would've had to have given the ok. But then again surrounded by a bunch of over keen beardo weirdos pestering you and faced with impossible deadlines and a million other things to do wouldn't you? (that is my imagination it probably wasn't quite like that :)).  Anyway, I suspect we are all guessing - unless Sue or any of the other girls watching here have any insight into this (which they may not as it would likely have been a decision made above them).  I also agree with the experimental comment. An inevitable by product is sometimes you get genius whereas other times it's WTF were they thinking? One of the things that makes these routines so much fun - if they were all conservative with no risk taking and perfect that would get boring.  Another interesting aspect of that is that the ones that don't work for you personally - are not always a failure for everyone. That's what makes it fun to read these reviews.

Also agree with paperboyplod - Legs and Co were surely at the height of their game during this period.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

How are the other dancers providing support to Lulu?  Well though the lady in magenta may be dancing this is an ensemble piece from start to finish.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Old Grey Whistler
It feels as though we are back in 1977. Legs & Co dancing to a nondescript disco track, some production gimmicks which help to detract from the performance, and Pauline stuck at the back, barely visible for most of the dance.
As usual the girls are dancing nicely but I think the routine would have benefitted from a few solo moments to break up the ensemble.
It's okay but it isn't one that I will revisit too often. A score of 7.5 out of 10  seems about right.
The moment where Sue looks down at the camera and gives a nice smile is enough for me to  give her DOTD.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Old Grey Whistler wrote
It feels as though we are back in 1977. Pauline stuck at the back, barely visible for most of the dance.
At least in version 2 Flick does place Pauline in a prominent position near the camera. But in all the overlays and flickering camera work its hard work viewing. Still more on that version in the near future.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Andeebee
And the Beeb goes on....chucking on the overlays and pointless graphics, thank you for reminding me i was watching Legs & Co.

Love the dresses, and the smiles, the tune is catchy and a very good ditty, overall i don't see the point of miring beautiful women with pointless graphics, this isn't a disco it's TOTP.

Nonetheless, top stuff thou, but not deserving a full house, certainly not, certainly not

DOTD: and those pins go on and on and on - that lady Sue.......fantastic grin into the camera.

Scores: 9/10

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

L&C4me
7.5/10              DOTD      Lulu

I think I've been spoiled by Green Onions!

As a dance I find this particular routine unremarkable except for the following:

The outfits are very nice.
Great hairstyles.
All the dancers look lovely.
Sue looks amazing - Stunning- her dancing more enhanced than the others.
Lulu looks beautiful and her dancing is softer and flows very nicely with the music.
Lulu & Sue really stood out to me here and it was a hard choice for different reasons. I usually like high energy and so Sue could have been dominant for me, but with this one Lulu hit the magic spot. <<Sorry Patti!>>
Jim

No!      .......      It was a momentary impromptu solo....
Jim

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

VintageVideos
I've read a few comparisons with "Disco Inferno", but in my opinion the flashing signature is by far not as intrusive as the disco lights. My appreciation for this routine has grown a bit with repeated viewings as I successfully tried to actually watch the girls and just ignore the neon sign.
The track is just a nondescript disco production as far as I'm concerned. I could never understand why it got so high in the charts. The dance itself though is quite nicely executed and looks very smooth and fluid. For all the spins and smiles, I think it deserves an

8 / 10

DotD: How can you not vote for Sue when she is placed so prominently and plays her part so perfectly.

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Stu

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Stu
All quite nice if a little bland, a bit like the song really. I would've scored more if it had been shot better. It felt like I was in a crowd of people trying to get a good view of something, but just getting sporadic glimpses.

6.5/10

DOTD  Patti

Re: AND THE BEAT GOES ON (version 1) [February]

Although we know that Flick had a great say in things it is worth bearing in mind that on occasion, for one reason or another, the final look of a routine might sometimes differ a little from her initial imaginings.  For example 'From Here To Eternity' ended up being rather more experimental than had been planned, what with the lighting director and the guys from VT putting a more 'artistic' slant on the thing after it had been recorded.
Also unexpected practical problems might occur once the routine had been devised.  For instance those 'Dancing Queen' costumes looked stunning just so long as nobody moved !  Start dancing in them and I'm told that the little crystal beads began pinging off everywhere, some of the strands broke, and the headress beads kept slapping the girls in the face. Consequently the final dance ended up being a little more rigid than had been intended.