ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST  Dance/performance number 227 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Queen  reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  25/09/80  Duration of dance 2.47 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline  207
Sue      206
Rosie    204
Patti     200
Gill       200
Lulu      196
Blog link to the dance  http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=322

YT link to the dance https://youtu.be/TZc0abcab-Q

So after the summer break, TOTPs returns after what feels like a long old 71 days. Talking of long waits, Legs & Co had to wait 1,394 days before they performed again to a song by Queen for what would be the second and final time.Not to sure why Legs & Co got the gig on this one, as the promo video was played the previous week in the top ten rundown. But hey, im not complaining as id rather watch these six than Freddie strutting up and down.

The scene does have a futuristic feel to it and the use of the special effects `bluey` camera work is again prevalent, rather like it was on The Spirit Of Radio but then it was more pink. One of those alcove routines that Flick was so fond of, and i also quite like those hideaway entrances as well. Gawd knows what went through Flick's mind when she thought up the idea of telling Pauline to throw the glove to the ground and then pick it up again. I can only imagine it had something to do with biting the dust. The Health & Safety police (if they were around then) would have approved of Pauline's pick up and grab technique, as she bends those knees rather than bending that back. Id have to go down in stages these days to pick something up, bit of a task for a big un like me, but i digress.

There isn't much to dislike on this. I enjoy the slow-mos and stuttering camera work, the song is great and the girls perform well to the now famous bass line. I also approve of the funny little hats with the flowing side pony tails cascading down. Its also another of those routines were the quality of footage on the net all these years hasn't been great, so this is a major improvement.

Glove chucker of the day--Its got to be our girl-Saturday `Pauline` who throws down the gauntlet and gets the starring role in this.

Rating--BBC4 coverage a vast improvement, would have been a 9, now its a `9.5 out of 10`.

WELCOME BACK TOTPS AND WELCOME BACK LEGS & CO, WE'VE MISSED YOU.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Andeebee
After what seems eons since TOTP was last on, it's a great return, coupled with a killer track, killer bassline, killer legs and killer co (not sure what that is)

Seriously top notch routine, love the oriental set design, the outfits are superb (a little nod or throw back to Pans second version of My First, My last perhaps).

The effects don't distract from the enjoyment at all, and it seems to be in sync with the track (the stuttery bits that is).  Some great visuals, some great moves, some super...ehhh....blue bits

legs at the top of the game still, with no sign of letting up (or leggings up). Glove throwing moments aside, there are some wonderful and comedic looks towards the camera, smouldering LADIES, sharp outfits and seriously sharp moves. Killer Queens, you bet.

Score: go on - another one bites the dust - a visual treat 10/10

dancer who certainly isn't biting dust: apart from the glove moment and other bits, it seriously is the killer looks to the camera that melts this hardened heart, those looks belong to Sue.....

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

An interesting routine and those outfits are certainly different.  It fits the song, but doesn't quite hit the heights, so its an 8 with champ of the glove discard Pauline for Dotd.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

I love the song, like this Dance very much and find it quite creative with it's tantalizing costumes and Tombraider skyscraper corridor landscape.  There are some quite lovely moments and I can't help mentioning the expressive Patti Hammond whose range of facial emotion is so vast.  Nevertheless I do find the special effects encroach a little too much here albeit in a close call.  Pauline is at her most enigmatic and earns my DotD too.  I am giving 8.5/10 but a little more clarity and a little less wizardry might have elevated my score further too

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

L&C4me
9.75/10        DOTD   Pauline

I'm a bit all over the place with this write up; maybe I've taken the hidden message in the reverse of the "Another one bites the dust" lyrics too literally. Flicks fault! Taking this into account, the outcome would be something like this production, one of Queen's and Flicks perhaps more enigmatic creations.

This routine has a lot going on with the storyline, innuendo's and subliminal messages. The story is about a jilted guy Steve, who in his distress hunts and machine guns down suitors and anyone else in his path. He acts out the Buggsy Malone, St.Valentines day Massacre of 14th Feb 1929.

The set of the New York sky scraper street scene resembles Japanese rooms and partitions.The dancers have some striking make-uo, strongly emphasising the cheekbone and eyes. The eye make-up resembles the Pharaoh's under some of the blue tinted monochrome shots. The dancers are wearing black lacy one one piece outfits with rope chain belts and fascinators or Jewish (kippah) head pieces. Are they super beings or unmasked ninjas?

Pauline throws down her gauntlets, strutting her stuff and means business with her catwalk moves. She's either re-enacting Steve, warily walking down the street or his estranged girlfriend who left him, taking him for everything including his heart. Gill, Sue, Rosie, Patti & Lulu watch Steve pass by. The music seems to give the impression of a passing tram/street-car.

Rosie, Gill & Lulu demonstrate Steve's Machine gun is ready to go.  Patti, Pauline then Gill then point out that everyone better get ready for what's to come: Bullets rip through the doorway as Patti Sue & Pauline dodge down out of the way and put their hands up in surrender. Its no use though because one bites the dust, then another one's down and then another one bites the dust. Steve is not holding back and is gunning for everyone. Sue and Lulu vividly point this out.

Paulines OFTD's avatar makes its cast-aside appearance in this routine. She then collects her gloves up .

A question crossed my mind while they weaved down the street during the - 'Bites the dust' vocals. are they dusting...? @ 1:47. There are a few of Flicks literal moments. Is this one of them? I love the scene and expressions of the girls looking up and down repeatedly during the chorus "Another one bites the dust" as they watch victims fall. Some of the elements in this remind me of the superb 'Tragedy' routine. It really is artistic.

I'd read somewhere that the song had some connection with the 'space invaders' game that was popular at the time and sure enough it crops up in the routine. The pulsing intimidating beat of the approaching enemy is followed by an escalation at about 57 seconds and 1:31 when the girls act out the speeding up, attacking aliens, beginning with Patti. You could knock me down with a feather! The camera work is very well timed as it pans and follows the menacing Patti.

I think Rosie's amused glance @ "hey I'm gonna get you too" might have been intended to be surprise. It certainly added contrast with no detriment to the outcome!  @2:00 some Dance moves (stretches on the floor)  will be seen in another black lacy one piece routine in 1981. I'm very much looking forward to that one! My only gripe that it ends abruptly. However, the routine is very artistic, the camera work is super, the set is decent, our dancers are particularly stunning, the outfits are unusual and stylish and the dancing is very good. Overall, perfect!
Jim

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Just watching this performance, it's reminiscent of the visions that you must get, if your walking along a darkish alleyway, & your confronted by a girl gang, I say must, because that hasn't happened to me (yet).
Pauline leads the way, with a look that says that she means business, & that finger pointing says "hand over the readies, or else"!

8/10

DotD:-

Pauline

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Nice screen grabs Ryan. You've captured the key moments from this routine very nicely.
Legs & Co. are lucky to be dancing to such a fantastic record. The girls' outfits are fabulous, and so is the make up and hair styles. The tight camera work and quick editing contributes to the atmosphere being generated by the tremendously strong bass line from John Deacon's guitar.

There's some good moves in the routine, which merits a 9/10 I'd have scored higher but it's cut too short which is a disappointment.

DOFD is Pauline

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

(Yes, great to see the resumption of the Comments threads chronological with the BBC4 run, accompanied by the usual painstakingly prepared collages.)

This routine offers a strong case for the defence in stating that Legs & Co. and the burgeoning video technology were a fine match for each other, proving there was a non-marginalised place for the troupe on Top Of The Pops in the early '80's.
Part dance routine, part video, the balance is just about right and certainly more equal that the effects-laden accompaniment to Spirit Of Radio, six months earlier.
There's certainly attitude and a slight feeling of cold indifference offered up by the ladies throughout especially so in the scene where - having read L&C4me's very detailed analysis, in which he provides the backstory in the form of a killing-spree tale - the girls, minus Pauline, coldly portray observing the falling, expired bodies almost as if they're watching a tennis match with no feeling whatsoever. I've never seen Legs & Co. looking so callous!
Out of Pauline and Lulu, it's difficult to tell which is the more fearsome. Pauline's brought along her lesser-spotted 'serious face' and considering the usual cheery and sunny one, it's a jolt to the system to see her in a mood which causes concern at the thought of what she could be like when rattled. The sight of Lulu's wide eyes - there's madness behind them. She looks positively deranged, positively revelling in the atrocities performed. All she lacks is a licking of the lips and a "Bwah ha ha ha!" cackle. Mind you, Rosie's got a wicked smile on her too.
Strongly veering between 9 and 10 for a mark, with a heavy leaning towards the latter. Lighting's suitably moody and the only nitpick is the way the girls are shot (not by gun, by camera) but during the middle-eight dance of all six. It's an engrossing moment but the back line up's occasionally slightly obscured due to the angle and the fact the dancers are slightly crowded together (small set?)
Pauline does seem to like a catwalk - witness the airy skip forwards in Toyah Whitehouse's 'favourite' routine, Don't Push It, Don't Force It. Here, she knows what she's doing, is completely focussed and can certainly hold a posed expression without so much as a blink of the eyes. Straight-faced and with a height greater than 5ft3", she could'a been a contender. The final line of Paperboyplod's opinion is a perfect description.
10/10
DOTD : Enigmatic
(© P4PM) Pauline

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

VintageVideos
Good routine with quite a bit of variation. Not much dancing though, and the fade-out ending is disappointing.

7.5 / 10

DotD: Pauline
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Old Grey Whistler
First of all I must congratulate L&C4me on his fine analysis.
Queen are my favourite band, and this is a great song from the quiet member of the group, so there was always going to be a good chance that I would enjoy this.
The set reminds me a little of 1980's Doctor Who, when he often seemed to be hurrying around passages and corridors on an alien spaceship. The blue camera effects (which are a bit like Dalek gun effects) work much better than the effects on the earlier Spirit of Radio, and fit into the production well. I'm not sure quite what is going on with the glove. The girls are all dancing with attitude and there are some great expressions, particularly from Patti and Lulu. However it is the glovely Pauline who gets DOTD.
My only slight niggle is that the lighting is a bit dark in places.
Almost but not quite a maximum so 9.5 out of 10.
Stu

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Stu
As VV said, I would have preferred a bit more dancing, but it's definitely up there. I wondered what the glove reference for Pauline's avatar was, and now I know. Very cool.

8.5/10

DOTD  Pauline

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

SuPaLu
A very stylish and interesting routine with some good dance sequences.I love the hair and the costumes;the visual effects and editing are great too.9/10
DOTD:Pauline

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

brandonb
7.5/10 DOTD: Pauline

Almost missed TOTP's returning to BBC4 - well they do try their hardest what with Sky at Night occasionally and what not? :) However, at the last minute spotted it and so all was well!

Not much to say about this that hasn't already been said. My opinion is between PattiForPM and VintageVideos. I'm not a huge fan of the song but it doesn't annoy me either so a bit agnostic about it. The routine - well it does seem to be a little too much video effects and not enough dancing for me - but it's ok I guess. I think given the nature of the song it could take some time and thought to come up with an interesting idea to illustrate it and as we know Flick only had a day or two at best to work something out - sometimes it's genius - sometimes it's passable and sometimes it doesn't work - which is the whole joy of watching these routines. Here it's passable IMO hence 7.5/10. Compared to Spirit of the Radio which has been mentioned :- it has similarities but the video effects do blend in better here and are less over the top which is why it gains .5 of a point over my rating for the latter.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Mikey
A cool and stylish foray into the 80s video age, backed by one of Queens more experimental hits. These high fashion storm trooper PJs are a daring and interesting look, not too sure on the hats mind. The narrow corridors and stuttery effects give an air of menace, the dancing moments are of a forceful intensity and Patti stares me straight in the eye and gives a looks that says 'Don't Mess!'. Brilliant 9/10

DOTD Sue.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

This laboratory-fresh routine is perhaps the most gleaming modern since Heart Of Glass. The look, chilly melodramatic tone, video-style set and effects are incipient New Romantic: Pauline could be taken for throwing down the gauntlet to other style leaders. There's a wealth of Dr Synth's menacing textures passing through (not unobserved) from the band who proclaimed a precious No Synths policy and the sound is carved as much as played. Choreographic cubism forms much of the response. It bristles with ambiguity and stutters on the edge of assault from the cool and clinical enforcer squad in uniform black. Pauline approaching. A Fellowhood falls mute. The glove a motif of the last preparation of the interrogator...goose-steps cross in a sinister flash. Glacial expressions are never far from thawing - but is it all bluff? Sue's strict mistress face melts but not with a change of purpose it seems. Punishment is imminent and it's going to be fun!

It reaches a climax with the tight unit seemingly making synchronized notes on the portentous sky. Awaiting a crack in the firmament. Don't give the game away Rosie. I'm one who finds your head bobbing like a coiled Jack-in-the-box a fiendishly satisfying conclusion. A highly effective routine. I can't give the girls and their mastermind less than 10/10.  I daren't.  DOTD Pauline.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

PattiforPM
Another really good read GD.  Suggest add to your portfolio

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

AC/PD
Absolutely!

"incipient" "throwing down the gauntlet" "menacing textures" "the sound is carved as much as played" "Choreographic cubism" (you lost me on that one)  "Glacial expressions are never far from thawing" "Sue's strict mistress face doesn't seem to melt with a change of purpose" (Objection on that one, GD - she does do something womanly/raunchily with her mouth for a brief instance, early doors - as captured in the screen-grabs) "I daren't."

You have an educational and aspirational way with words and expression, GD.
Not only that, but you got the DOTD spot on, too.

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Adorable Gillusion
7/10  DOTD...Lulu

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Colm
Pauline is the perfect choice for the lead in this routine. Those struts are in sync with John Deacon's bassline - and yes, there's a proper air of "Don't mess with me, sunshine" with each thrust of glove, but we also see her that final, more playful run at the end, as if we need a reminder that it's just a game...

Also, spot the ring on the glove. Nice little touch, that. I also spotted five sets of splits during the instrumental break!

I also like the fabulous five going "Ooh!" along with Freddie at the start. And Lulu looking just as menacing as Pauline. And while I like the costumes, Gill looks the most arresting here.

DotD: Pauline - who I now think has one last chance for a clean sweep...

Score: 9.5

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST [September]

Colm wrote
DotD: Pauline - who I now think has one last chance for a clean sweep...
Well if Pauline was ever gonna get a clean sweep it really should have been for this. Im totally baffled how she didn't. I mean when a dancer is given the lead in a routine by Flick, one would assume she would clean up, a bit like Gill in `Please Don't Go`.

Thanks anyway for returning to the fold Colm and for your comments.