ARIA

  Aria is a song written by prolific Italian composer Sergio Bardotti and singer-songwriter Dario Baldan Bembo and first released with vocals by Bembo in 1975.  Here's the link for those of you interested in hearing this but I certainly prefer the Clarinet version by Acker Bilk from 1976 myself:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JSan35zWkk  (and no I don't understand the Cover of the 45 either but maybe one has to be Italian to appreciate it)

  Acker Bilk managed to reach #5 in the UK with Aria making it his second biggest hit after Stranger on the Shore in 1962.  Acker himself was an accomplished Popular and Jazz clarinetist who originally learned the instrument during his Armed Service and later adopted his recognizable garb of Bowler and Waistcoat during a stint playing in a jazz band in Gemany.  His version of Aria was later used as a theme in the Polish Movie of 2012 "Moj Rower" (My Father's Bike) about a son and grandson who go looking for their adulterous Grandmother (presumably not a comedy, although to be honest I'm not sure and come to think of it perhaps it should be)

                                  ARIA   -   Acker Bilk                                         Aug 26th 1976

                                                DANCER:      Patti

                LINK:      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ab87_ruby-flipper-aria-totp-tx-26-08-1976_creation

  First I must spare a word for Mr Edmonds, who once again name-checks Patti incorrectly, as Sydney this time (or perhaps Sidney) for no good reason I can think of.  Answers should not be put on a postcard but rather posted here along with your ratings.  The tune itself is very smooth and I think Patti puts in really nice performance albeit only in the space allowed her between the microphone, the clarinet and the edge of the screen.  To me her expressiveness and those magnificent turns on one foot while the other is held high deserve high praise indeed and I am awarding 8.5/10 although her disappearance for some time and the other less balletic human in the picture lose a few points for me.  Nevertheless it's a fine outing as far as I'm concerned and I await your views with interest

Re: ARIA

Suefan
A nicely balanced perfomance from Patti providing first rate support to AB.  I quite like the tune and Patti looks great in that white dress but unfortunately we just don't see enough of her throughout the number so cannot go beyond a 7.5.

Re: ARIA

AT LAST

P4Pm you finely put up the one I was waiting for, yes everyone thought it was the 'Duck' but it wasn't (it may still be LOL), no this is what I was waiting for.

Introduced by the joker himself Noel Edmunds as a meaningful love song with lyrics as performed by "the one with the bowler hat is Acker Bilk, the one in the white dress was 'Sidney' from Ruby Flipper' - huge belly laughs all round, Noel you are a "Legend".

This instrumental really gives you goose bumps, a fantastic piece of music from 'Strangers on The Shore' clarinet king Bernard Stanley "Acker" Bilk (Acker = Somerset slang for Friend), which I think in my opinion this track is mesmerizing and beautifully more arranged than his previous hit.  A truly wonderful slice of jazz.

Patti shows off her ballet skills, those straight leg twirls...wow, those imploring hand gestures, the skirt bellowing. We forget that the majority of the girls (Sue, Patti etc) are expert classically trained dancers.

You could just believe that the song was written for her, as she accompanies this beautifully and with elegance, and the TOTP orchestra, is for once, not intrusive on this track.

For me this is THE outstanding Flipper piece compared to Misty Blue.  Seriously watch it for what it is, 2-3 mins of great under-rated music and the outstanding talents of Miss Hammond.

I urge you to sit back and really enjoy this hypnotic wonderful piece of jazz, danced to by a princess (clad in a simple white number - she looks heavenly), even Noel had a tear in his eye (bless)

It is without a doubt a beautiful crafted piece, a real treat, and so sublime it could move you to tears, overall breathtaking, and it proves what a classically trained and lithe dancer Patti is (as well as visually stunning).

Heartfelt and totally memorizing

11/10 - but 10/10

of course this can be seen as a companion piece to the Sue/James Galway clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffLyFnFi9I), watch them back to back.....beautiful stuff

Re: ARIA

Horses for courses and Patti is the ideal filly to add a bit of gracefulness to proceedings. I cant say the music is to my taste and without the involvement of one of our dancers, i doubt id even ever remember the tune.

`7 out of 10` is about were i am at.

(This always reminds me of a certain female member of this site from the early days. This performance was all part of the subterfuge back then)

Re: ARIA

There's not really that much of Patti, here, so I can't give overly generous marks, for her dance routine, but I rather liked what I did see, & I'll give her credit for that, & her leg stretches managed not to tear that wedding dress of hers, which is another bonus feature of her performance, despite her having to compete with Acker Bilk for screen time.

Re: ARIA

To this day, Sidney remains one of the unsolved mysteries as Noel gives us no clue whatsoever who he is referring to. Noel is quite sophisticated and has been known for his - more or less - intelligent plays on words, however this namecheck just seems random - which I'm sure it isn't. One possible explanation would be that he is referring to Sidney Bechet, a former American jazz saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer ("Petite Fleur") who sadly passed away in 1959. Ten years later, in 1969, an album called "Bechet, Barber & Bilk" was released (the material obviously recorded much earlier):

I concede that this explanation may not be most convincing but it's the best I can come up with.

The music, "Aria", is a tune that my parents may have liked in 1976 but not me. To me it sounded just antiquated, and I wouldn't have touched the 45 with a barge pole. 38 years later I think it's quite a decent record actually, and I don't mind playing it once in a while (I have it on two or three of my compilation CDs).
Patti is doing a great job supporting Mr. Bilk (who isn't quite what I'd call telegenic), but unfortunately disappears too often, leaving us with a much less pleasant sight. I always struggle to find fair ratings for these support routines, and this is no exception. I might have given a high rating for a full solo routine, but with Mr. Bilk constantly in the foreground, I can't award any more than

8 / 10

Re: ARIA

PattiForPM
Thanks for the comments folks.  Love the hyperbole ADB, I agree this is very good but had no idea this was the ADB pinnacle of Groovy Kipperdom although I do agree it's a natural partner to Sue's Annie's Song classics.  Interesting Sidney Theory too Vin.  My own working hypothesis has been that our Noel was referring to Sidney Poitier in some way, perhaps likening the surname to Patti (Mr Poitier also has a daughter Sydney who was born in 1973 apparently) but I have no way of knowing if this is right either.  It does seem to me as it does to you however that Mr Edmonds usually had some substance to his levity so there must surely be a logical answer somewhere.  I would welcome other theories too and of course other ratings

Re: ARIA

PaulF
Less Acker more Patti please. A difficult tune to dance to but Patti copes beautifully showing just what an excellent performer she is. My score for the clip is an 8 purely for the brief glimpes of the elegant Miss H.
Paul

Re: ARIA

mojo2007
You can see why Flick wanted Patti, both her beauty and experience  very much present.
 Only time I spoke to Mr Bilk was when I was on security at a Richmond Jazz Festival,  1962 or 1963, when he tried parking his Rolls Royce blocking the fire exit from the stage. he said do you know who I am  and I said yes Mr Bilk but you will still have to move your car.

10 for Patti , 1 for the tune
mojo

Re: ARIA

PattiForPM
Thanks for the input lads.  You should have offered to park the Roller for Mr Bilk Mojo.  BTW 10 for Patti and 1 for the Tune, so does that make it that a 6/10?

Re: ARIA

A nice tune by Acker Bilk and a nice routine by Patti. You could see it as a companion piece to Sue dance.

So the score as to be 8 out of 10.

Re: ARIA

PattiForPM wrote
 BTW 10 for Patti and 1 for the Tune, so does that make it that a 6/10?
Patti Platoon HQ Mathematics Department make that a 10.

Re: ARIA

Gorgeous Daze wrote
PattiForPM wrote
 BTW 10 for Patti and 1 for the Tune, so does that make it that a 6/10?
Patti Platoon HQ Mathematics Department make that a 10.
Yeah, the Sue calculations camp also equate that as a 10

Re: ARIA

Gorgeous Daze wrote
PattiForPM wrote
 BTW 10 for Patti and 1 for the Tune, so does that make it that a 6/10?
Patti Platoon HQ Mathematics Department make that a 10.
Yeah, the Sue calculations camp also equate that as a 10
No objection from the European mainland correspondent.

Re: ARIA

mojo2007
Hi VV , just had a long weekend  in Berlin, what a lovely city,   Sights, food and  friendly locals all excellent. Back to topic,  I'll give Bilk  the  benefit of the doubt and give a 9.  Mojo

Re: ARIA

PattiForPM
Thanks for the help everyone and for the clarification Mojo.  Berlin pencilled in for 2015 OFTDs AGM, Vin hosting

Re: ARIA

Mikey
Well i can't really fault Patti here for a graceful performance but there's too much of the Pied Piper, and the tune is a bit mournful. For these dance with the artist routines a bit more interactivity is normally a boost (e.g. Racey) but theres none of that so i can't go beyond 6/10 for this one.

Re: ARIA

Gorgeous Daze
A lovely interlude in the pop firmament this. Still very early in Patti's TOTP tenure but she was already as reliable as sunrise. How glorious that it transpired the fruits of that ballet training were enjoyed by the masses and not just the theatre-going elite who could interject with names for moves Patti performs.

This is quintessential music for a romantic starry night. If it was a film it would score the moment the male lead steps outside for a breath of fresh air at a party and first lays eyes on the wondrous beauty. It won't come as surprise that I see this the other way to what it was intended: the tasteful music with the rich resonance of the clarinet is a perfect accompaniment to the grace and beauty of the connoisseur's dancer, who gives a fine demonstration of her skill and emotional range. The best bit for me is the exquisite impression of release when Patti does multiple spins during the brief moments the music promises to turn joyous. That this freedom is but fleeting elevates the pathos beautifully.

The Patti-Acker ratio isn't favourable. We can't expect it to be. Patti deserves a 10 but because for a large chuck we only see the jazz-man I'll give it an  8/10

Re: ARIA

Andeebee
This clip is criminally underwatched on YT....it really is

Re: ARIA

Yeah Andee it is. One guy on Youtube has had 115,551 views on his Aria featuring Patti, well 115,552 now ive clicked on it. In all 39 comments hes got, just one mention Patti, and another mentions Ruby Flipper. He did post it in 2009 though.