Absence of Legs

No this is not a Thread about amputees.  I was thinking about routines that dancers have missed and naturally my mind starts working on Patti-less dances.  Most of you know my feelings about the "Remote dance" or "Don't Push It" but I also really wish Patti hadn't missed "Hold on Tight" by ELO cos it's a great exhausting action-packed skirt-shaker and darn it Patti should have been there.   Perhaps others can come up with dancers who should have cancelled their holidays and appeared on a week they missed.

Secondly I have been watching "Nutcracker" a middlingly decent movie (well better that the Stud anyway) from 1981 and it stars Joan Collins, Carol White, Finola Hughes and Paul Nicholas (yawn)  but Cherry Gillespie and Patti Hammond have parts too and Patti looks superb and dances really well and her character is called, wait for it, SUE.  There are two or three dance sequences and a party scene and in the finale dance Patti looks magma-hot and dances up a storm although of course the camera spends far too much time on others.  I'll post it sometime but the connection with my Thread is that as it was released in 1981 I am wondering whether it explains Patti's absence for several weeks in early Autumn 1981.  The only thing is that her look in the movie seems to be from an earlier time perhaps 1979 or 1980.  Anyhow I regard the movie as a precious Patti appearance so there it is.

Re: Absence of Legs

Suefan
Patti's work in "Nutcracker" sounds interesting (if perhaps not as revealing as Cherry ?).  However, don't film companies usually take a few months between production and release.
A week or so back, whilst looking at some of the early Legs routines to see if I could discern any obvious costume colours to follow on from Col's work on Pans, I did notice that Patti was the first to take a break, on 16/12/76, to be followed by a three week break from 21/4/77, although that seems rather early for her "Nutcracker" work.  Gill also managed to miss three of the four shows in March '77 but fortunately she was there for "Moody Blue" which was easily the best dance of the four.

Regarding disappointment when one or other of the girls was absent I'd make particular mention of "Back In Love Again" and "Deep Down Inside" (sadly both sans Susan).  "Back In Love Again" has a great girl next door vibe but there is one pink skirt left unworn back in the dressing room, while Sue would also have filled one of those provocative costumes from "Deep Down Inside" rather well.

Gill's disappearance in the "Bermuda Triangle was also a blow, made even worse the following week when she still hadn't returned for the "Corrida".

As we know Rosie didn't miss many shows but it would have been good to see her strutting her stuff as one of the "Silver Ladies" in September '77 while another airing for her nightie in August '78 would not have gone amiss either.  Five Baby Dolls were probably more than enough for lucky old Gene though.

Re: Absence of Legs

PattiforPM
Thanks SueFan and I totally concur with the Suelessness of "Deep Down Inside"  and Gilldrought in "Ai No Corrida."   This prompted me to consider the more raunchy routines (a total chore to have to review these yet again) and note that Rosie missed "Alright Now"  (LNV I will be sending you a commiseration card) and Pauline missed "One Nation under a Groove" and "Ai No Corrida" (although it's hard to concentrate on who's missing in this wonderfully graceful celebration of womanhood).  Lulu was also missing from "Silver Lady"  Mk.1 so it seems to me some of the best Raunch missed one or two dancers but they work really well as long as Patti is there - Oops there I go again.

Re: Absence of Legs

JEZ
patti4pm ,there you know i am now serious about what im telling you ,ive got a nagging feelin about patti being absence for so long in 1981 that i seem to recall she was suffering with some injury strain to her leg foot or whatever ,because i remember thinking at the time i wonder if she did it any damage when her leg gave way or whatever happened on the take it to the top by kool and the gang routine ,now i could be completely wrong ,might have even dreamt it so dont take this as gospel ,but ive just got one of those flashbacks that something like this happened

Re: Absence of Legs

late night viewer
Thanks P4PM for the commiseration card over Rosie missing out on the 'Alright Now' routine. I am in the recovery unit (The Hetherington Ward) surrounded by flowers, grapes and boxes of chocolates! Given to me by the wonderful people at panspeople.net, however truth to tell the grapes seem somewhat sour! A few weeks ago as I understand you were a patient here yourself due to Patti not making an appearance in the 'Don't Push It' number. So if anyone can understand my total disbelief at Rosie not being included in the truly classic 'Alright Now' routine and the resultant shock to my system, it will be your good self.

P.S. Do you know of any good Doctors to help further my recovery from this cruel blow of fate?

Re: Absence of Legs

PattiforPM
I can only suggest repeated watching of the routines using one's imagination to include the favorite dancer concerned and eventually it's almost as if they are real.  I keep changing my avatar hoping that the clever Remote will bring one of the images to life and put Patti into "Don't Push It" but he must be too busy in his real life.  Another dance I think Patti should have been in is "Slow Hand" with it's attractive outfits and slinky moves.  I'm off to dream for a bit again...

Re: Absence of Legs

Being the sensible head girl that she is Sue was often too busy for "Silly Love Songs".  A shame though seeing she missed a flipping gem.
Flipping gem, get it?  Oh well, please yourselves.
I'm wasted on this rabble you know!

Re: Absence of Legs

PattiforPM
You're right about Ms Menhenick eschewing those "Silly Love Songs" SueFan but I might say the same about Patti missing a golden opportunity to "Blame It On the Boogie" in those alluringly shiny shorts

Re: Absence of Legs

PattiforPM
Another Patti miss I regret was the first "Sir Duke" with the girls looking bloody marvelous in those silver outfits and some great moves.  I hope Patti had a really good Holiday that week and it wasn't just a shopping trip or something that made her miss such a  classic.

By the Way I forgot to mention in the original post of this Thread that Anita Mahadervan also had a small part in the "Nutcracker" movie.

Re: Absence of Legs

Yeah i know i bang on about Sue a lot, but fair play to Patti, she didnt miss many Legs routines in the early days. Apart from the ones mentioned here, of the top of my head i can think of `Oh what a night, Ca plane pour moi and The Smurf song`. The last two of these were very missable i must say ! So if it wasnt for her 1981 hiatus, then i reckon she might have topped the attendence charts !
RYAN