All-Girl bands/groups.

Well we cherish and discuss all-girl dance troupes, so how about all-girl bands or groups. Just who is the best ever is very debatable, even more so is whos the greatest and just about impossible to answer. Im a big fan of The Bangles who i thought never made a bad record. Another who i liked and were quite similar and a bit before them were the Go-Go's.

Obviously those two cant be held in the same esteem as true greats like The Supremes. But love them or hate them, you have to be impressed with The Spice Girls and their impressive haul of number one singles.

Id have either of those two as the greatest. So what about you guys, which all female acts in pop do you like.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

The Rubberband Man
A good choice for a Thread Ryan.

The best all girl group ever are All Saints. They had everything. They could sing, they wrote their own material, they had very public falling outs, the Appleton sisters private lives became headline news, they won multiple music awards.

In their career, All Saints achieved nine consecutive UK top-ten hits, including five number-ones: "Never Ever", "Under the Bridge"/"Lady Marmalade", "Bootie Call", "Pure Shores" and "Black Coffee". "Never Ever" is the second best-selling girl group single of all-time in the UK.
The group have also won two Brit Awards, two MTV Europe Music Awards and one Ivor Novello Award. As of January 2016, All Saints have sold 12 million records.

Still unconvinced?  Here’s a performance from TOTPs to persuade you.
Swing your cargo pants girls :-
https://youtu.be/3D3b0kIm9tw

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

VintageVideos
Going by my own CD collection, I should say "The Three Degrees" but I'm reluctant to do so. The runner-up would be "Sister Sledge" who evoke a similar feeling of restraint. This is a tough question, really
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

For me the 1960s girl groups win with the Supremes  at the top of the tree but I do like Shangri-La and the Spector Groups too.  For "middle-aged" groups I have a significant weakness for Bananarama (yes even in some of their SAW years but more so before that).  Apart from Bootylicious I didn't take to Destiny's Child. I liked some of the Spice Girls hits but by no means most of them and of more recent groups I tend to only like one song at a time (except for the Be Good Tanyas who may not be that famous outside Canada!).  Oh another confession; I do like Wilson Phillips

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

AC/PD
Several '60's girl groups make the grade for me.
As with P4PM,  it's mainly Motown girl group and those from the Spector stable which are appreciated for their quality, amalgamated with brilliant songwriters. Crystals, Ronettes, Chiffons, Shangri-Las, Velvelettes to name a few who consistently hit the spot.
Agree with Vin's Three Degrees mention, only with a great deal less caution - powerful presence as a trio, spearheaded by the quite brilliant Sheila Ferguson.
Was fond of En Vogue around the time the Spice Girls were making it big with the aforementioned string of poptastic No.1's. However, with Melanie C. wisely giving the latest reunion a miss, the others may as well knock it on the head.
Beyonce's Destiny's Child outfit were a good listen come the turn of the Century.
If pressed to name a favourite female double act, I would probably select Dolly Parton.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

BeautifulBabs
the spice girls by a mile

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

BeautifulBabs
Dolly Parton left and right boob double act does not count

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Young Mister Grace
I was always a fan of the Three Degrees, and of Sheila fergusson in particular.

Of the classic three-girl vocal groups in the sixties, The Ronettes amd Veronica Bennett's voice stand out for me,
as fo the Shangri-Las (Mary Weiss's voice and Shadow Morton's productions).

Apart from Ryan's endorsement of the Bangles, all the groups mentioned so far have been singers-only. I thought I'd mention a few fully female instrumental outfits:

Seventies Prog rockers Fanny:
"Special Care" on Beat Club: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNWcUZK3DRg
"You're the One" on OGWT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80UWYkKNzk

The Runaways, of course:
"Wasted" on OGWT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCPNHIwRK8
"Queens of Noise": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElqU3ZGXoXo

The Roches:
"Hammond Song": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWP8pMPdqA4
"Mr. Sellack": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMwU3TrVE0

The Slits, of course (again):
"I Heard it Through the Grapevine": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6j9-MVbYg
"Instant Hit": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAbV2NborY

The best thing to come out of Switzerland was Kleenex (who became LiLiput)
"Boatsong": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw-FsP7gH-k
"Heidi's Head": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYYe3T2IGk
You've all done vey well!

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

I like all saints and Shaznay co-wrote a few of their hit songs but I don't think the other girls did much other than look good. I wasn't impressed with them live at v festival late 1990s. Pleased no one has tipped bananarama

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

My thoughts are from a younger perspective, but here goes:

Bananarama were my favourite group as a youngster - their Greatest Hits Collection from 1988 was one of the first cassette tapes I ever got as a present, and I still enjoy their music to this day. While the younger me had a preference to the Stock-Aitken-Waterman era, the older me now appreciates the Jolley-Swain era.

In the 1990s, I preferred All Saints over the Spice Girls - for me, the songs were better written and sung, and songs like "Never Ever" and "War of Nerves" still send a chill down my spine. Their comeback stuff this year has also been of interest to me, although it's a shame they missed out on a Top 75 position with "One Strike". Eternal were OK in bits and bobs, but I didn't like the Bennett sisters and their attitude to the other two members of the group.

From the 2000s, I liked in equal measures Sugababes (especially Line-Up v1.0 - Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan) and Girls Aloud (who were performing on one of the two episodes of TOTP I was in the audience for in 2003 - I got a smile from Sarah Harding as they left the stage!)  Destiny's Child have recorded plenty of songs which stick in my head on many a day, but they relied too much on Beyonce as a vocalist.

There were a cache of girl bands around this time who tried to portray themselves as pop-punk, but the cynical me saw through the blatant over-marketing by their record companies...

As for the current crop of girl bands, I've enjoyed Little Mix's recent singles - they are catchy pop songs.

Looking back, you can't deny the impact of The Supremes etc. on every girl band who have followed since, and it's still a joy when I hear those kinds of songs today.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

I remember the short lived all-girl Ska band `The Bodysnatchers` and at the time thinking they were very good. The singer Rhoda Dakar sang on the second Specials album `More Specials`.

Didn't they become the Belle Stars or is my memory fading on that.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
You're correct, Ryan: Most of the Bodysnatchers went on to form the Belle Stars.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Everything'sRosie
No other girl group can come close to the classic Motown sound of The Supremes. Sorry, this one never gets off the launch pad. We can talk about subjectivity until the cows come home, but there's a scale of excellence too which transcends personal taste and the output of Ross, Ballard and Wilson is unsurpassed.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Can I suggest a good 60s girl group The Paper Dolls.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Everything'sRosie wrote
No other girl group can come close to the classic Motown sound of The Supremes.
While I like the Supremes (I'm generally a Motown fan), I can't say they are so special to me that anything after that has to pale in comparison. The Supremes, for example, never wrote their own music which in my opinion is a major criterion when it comes to decide who was/is the best group. Also, it must be said that they were more or less a product of a record company and a number of excellent songwriters. Sure their personalities played an important role in their success but I dare say they would have played only a minor part in musical history without the genius of Holland/Dozier/Holland.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

The Rubberband Man
VintageVideos wrote
Everything'sRosie wrote
No other girl group can come close to the classic Motown sound of The Supremes.
While I like the Supremes (I'm generally a Motown fan), I can't say they are so special to me that anything after that has to pale in comparison. The Supremes, for example, never wrote their own music which in my opinion is a major criterion when it comes to decide who was/is the best group. Also, it must be said that they were more or less a product of a record company and a number of excellent songwriters. Sure their personalities played an important role in their success but I dare say they would have played only a minor part in musical history without the genius of Holland/Dozier/Holland.
This

The Supremes are good, but, as Vin says, are really a product of the Motwown record company. The group also went through a number of personnel changes and even a change in name. They were lauded with the best of songs by Berry Gordy, but when Ross left the group things came to end.
These things make it difficult for me to say The Supremes were the best All-Girl group.

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

BeautifulBabs
No votes for girls aloud?

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Doc
BeautifulBabs wrote
No votes for girls aloud?
They'd come in high on an eye candy chart.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Doc
Couldn't resist a screen shot. It looks like they are wearing those dresses that change colour according to the light (blue, purple, pink who knows?)

Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: All-Girl bands/groups.

Just thinking back to when the TOTPs re-runs began in 1976. Does anyone remember the Surprise Sisters. No surprise, they were as awful as their name suggests.