Quantcast

Ann Guise Costume Designer

Ann Guise designed those bikinis for 'Let's Go Round Again'.I have found out on Facebook she designed for Legs & Co from 24th April '80 until the strike then from June - August '81.
I thought i'd come up with a top five of her designs,and hope you all will too.
As well as being a bit of fun this is also a tribute.I'm sure we all agree costume design is important.
1 - Hold On Tight
2 - One Day In Your Life
3 - Just Can't Give You Up
4 - Check Out This Groove
5 - You Gave Me Love

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

katy
Thanks great post . Did Ann Guise design all the costumes for Legs and Co during the years you mentioned? Just thought i would check before i go off making a list of faves. I see she designed the wonderful  Mystic Merlin Just Cant Give You up cat costumes!

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

SuPaLu, with the strike commencing in June 1980 and the inclusion of the Check Out The Groove costumes, should April 1980 be the start date?

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Suefan
Aside from the white bikinis I think you've already illustrated most of my favourites SPL given we are talking rather tight time frames... well aside from Razzamatazz that is!

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Sorry you're right PD.The start date was 24th April until the strike,Then June-August 1981.So i think that's 19 shows all together.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Hi Katy,she only designed from 24th April - 29th May 1980,then June - August 1981.I love the cat costumes too - a shame we won't see the show on BBC4.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Sue Menhenick
Whilst Annie did make a lot of our costumes over the years, ( some for cabaret as well ) there were some costumes that were in fact bought, not made.   "Let's Go Round Again" costumes were in fact purchased swimwear....."Check Out The Groove" outfits were also bought as were "Sunday Girl Dresses " and many others.
The credit , 'Costume Designer' really meant  wardrobe co ordination ...... Sometimes our costumes were more economical to buy than to make ...certainly  if the costume had the minimal quantity of material ! It also depended on the design that Flick would come up with ...some needed more care and consideration for obvious reasons ,like the "Ai No Corrida" outfits !   Then occassionally, if the budget allowed ,Flick could get away with designing floor length blue sequin dresses for "You'll Never Know" as an example ......

Re: Ann Guise Wardrobe Co-Ordinator

SuPaLu
Thanks Sue.It's great have your insight as to how these things work.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

katy
That's really interesting Sue thanks. I find the costume and outfits worn by Pans People and Legs and Co really interesting because they really showed the changing in fashion's throughout the 1970s and early 80s. Some of them really were wonderful.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Sue Menhenick wrote
outfits were also bought as were "Sunday Girl Dresses " and many others.
 Sue, would the Sunday Girl dresses have been originally identical and modified to personalise them or did someone actually go shopping around to get the variations?

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Sue Menhenick
They were all bought from the same shop, Doc, but were all slightly different styles .....

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Doc
The variations were always a nice touch.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

aguise
Hi!
I was pleasantly suprised to see this thread discussing my costumes on TOTP.  I had a wonderful time designing the outfits for Legs and Co. I was 25 in 1980 and really did have my dream job. I was Ann Lubas then, not Guise.
My big disappointment was when the musicians union strike happened and my time in 1980 was cut short. Luckily I had a second go in 1981. I still have my sketch book with all my design drawings.
I had a lovely lady who made the outfits for me, 4 of which are on this thread. I loved watching the TOTP2 shows. I'd forgotten half of the costumes I designed.

One of my favourites was the Mash outfits. I loved the whole routine. And, the gold pleated Egyptian style Razzamatazz outfit.

Some outfits were bought. It depended what look Flick wanted to compliment the song. No point making white swimwear when it is readily available to buy also we only had time for 1 fitting. That was on the Monday afternoon before the show on the Wed. The fun was finding 6 in one colour but different styles and making sure they suited and fitted the Girls. Happy days!

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Mikey
Its a shame then the MASH outfits are barely visable in all the fog.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Hi Ann, very interesting to hear your memories and some great costumes designed which look as good now as they did then!

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Hi Ann.  Just want to add my welcome to OFTDs and my thanks for adding to our enjoyment of the Legs & Co performances with those great costumes you designed.   Well done to SuPaLu for this Thread too

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Hello Ann and welcome to the site.Great to read some of your memories.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

I guess Ann was just getting in her stride when that blessed strike stuck in 1980. Good to see she returned though later and those costumes will hopefully be given the BBC4 treatment in the coming year.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Paperboyplod
Let's hope that none of them are 'yewtreed'.

Re: Ann Guise Costume Designer

Some are bound to be.