Another little mystery

Suefan
On the 10/3/77 show when introducing the dance to "Torn Between Two Lovers" David Jensen says something like "well Legs & Co are coming back and looking just as lovely as always".  An odd thing to say when it was their only appearance that week.

Re: Another little mystery

Dug5y-02

Got me beat there, Suefan.  The act before it was "Rockaria" by ELO but there's nothing in the lyrics of that song to suggest the Kid was possibly trying to make a smart link between the two routines.
Dug5y

Re: Another little mystery

mishmash
Were they on the previous weeks show?

Re: Another little mystery

PattiforPM
They were on the previous week Mishmash so it is an odd comment and usually the Kid makes sense unlike some of his colleagues.  It does make me think we might be missing something but I watched the whole show and not a glimpse of Legs before the routine in question on the copy I have

Re: Another little mystery

Suefan
Like you P4pm I watched the entire show soon after finding the "Torn Between..." routine expecting to find an earlier outing for the girls but there isn't one.  As the Kid was one of the more reliable of the DJ's I wonder if they had recorded another dance which, for whatever reason, did not make it into the final broadcast transmitted the following day.  The more one delves into the mechanics of the productions the less fine tuned one sometimes finds them to be.  For instance, watching a Pans number recently I was amused to spot a female production assistant walking behind the stage, seemingly oblivious both to the girls dancing and the camera that was following her.

Re: Another little mystery

late night viewer
Now that you have brought this mystery to our attention Suefan we need to find the answer. Was there a routine recorded for that TOTP show of 10/3/77 but not broadcast? If so why would that have been?

1) Replaced by another pop act at short notice.

2) Considered a substandard routine.

3) Too risqué.

 4) Or was it shown the week before or sometime after.

If Mr. Jenson's continuity error is not of his making but due to post-production editing then what is that routine he is referring to?

Re: Another little mystery

Suefan
Although I raised this topic LNV I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer, having already quizzed my contact without any success but given Kid Jensen's manner it seems unlikely to have been a mistake on his part.  I would be inclined to the view that another dance had been planned to be broadcast earlier in the show but was edited out prior to transmission.  As to your possible scenarios I doubt 2 (unless Flick suddenly decided she didn't like what she had come up with and after the previous weeks effort I wouldn't put that past her) nor 3 (how risque would they have to go to can it) and, while 1 is more of a possibility, I'd lean towards 4.  Perhaps they had thoughts of a repeat from a previous week only to find it dropping in the charts.

Re: Another little mystery

JEZ
suefan where they behind kid jensen when he introduced them i cant remember

Re: Another little mystery

late night viewer
Yes Suefan number 3 can be dismissed, a bit silly of me really or was I just hopeful!

Re: Another little mystery

Yes Jez, Jensen is standing in front of the stage and as he finishes his intro one of the girls, I think Patti from memory appears on the stage to begin the dance.

Re: Another little mystery

JEZ
well i wondrerd about him saying this before and the only thing i could come up with was then that was is way of saying legs were at the back of him ,i might be completley wrong about this

Re: Another little mystery

JEZ
when kid jensen presented the itv pop show 45 ,when he sometimes introduced guests or the dancers zig zag it wasnt always a straight forward zig zag are dancing to the peppers pepperbox which they did by the way ,there was always something in his introduction to try and work out

Re: Another little mystery

Suefan
An interesting idea Jez.  Perhaps there is some way of contacting the bloke and asking him.  Has he returned to the dominion do we know?  Good night and enjoy the hol.

Re: Another little mystery

JEZ
hi and bye suefan cant remember which thread you asked about the pans routines a few unidentified ones there for me but i did spot the dance with the devil routine ill have to have another look

Re: Another little mystery

Suefan
Good man Jez, if you can identify any of those pics it would be of interest but particularly the one where the girls are in those blue hats.
Suefan